IC Cable question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : IC Cable question

blackraven
11-02-2013, 08:31 AM
I am looking to upgrade my IC's-

Can any one comment on these cables, as I am looking for a slightly warmer cable as an upgrade from my BJC's-

Silnote Morpheus Reference Series II

Cardas MicroTwin

Black Cat Neo-Morpheus

Nordost Purple Flare

JohnMichael
11-02-2013, 09:18 AM
I have owned Nordost, not that model, and would not consider them warm. Cardas has a reputation of being warm and lush but again have not heard that model. I have a number of IC's that you would be welcome to try if you would like. I have Goertz Micropurl and TQ2, Audioquest Diamondbacks and DNM Reson IC's. I am now using Transparent Cables and their $90 The Link IC's are very good. More neutral than warm and no trace of brightness.

blackraven
11-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks JM, How do you like the Goertz and the Diamondbacks? Music direct has the Diamondbacks and King Cora's on sale for $99 and $149pr respectively for 1M. I was also looking at the Goertz Tourmaline Copper for $178pr, and Acoustic Zen Wow.

The Silnote cables that I am looking at list for $795pr but I may be able to get them at a huge discount. The Black Cats are a newer cable and the guy at Galen Carol Audio sells both the Cardas and Black Cat's and says they sound similar with a slight edge to the BC's.

https://www.gcaudio.com/cgi-bin/store/search.cgi?cat=42

Mr Peabody
11-02-2013, 11:37 AM
The discount on the AQ is good and MD allows a return.I've only heard Cardas Neutral but didn't compare it to anything else, the Golden is supposed to lean warm. A couple guys I know use Neutral and swear by it. Typically there's some trickle down but not a hard rule in cables. For example, the Transparent will be similar up the line but only get better but that's not always true in all brands. It should be a fun and enlightening experience as long as you have a return option. You should also consider JM's generous offer, if nothing elsefor the listening experience.

blackraven
11-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Well I put a bid in for the Silnote cables. I doubt that I will win. But I need a second pair of IC's. I will wait and see what happens tonight on my bid. It looks like Tyler acoustics used the Silnotes at an audio show.

Happy Camper
11-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Well I put a bid in for the Silnote cables. I doubt that I will win. But I need a second pair of IC's. I will wait and see what happens tonight on my bid. It looks like Tyler acoustics used the Silnotes at an audio show.

Did you get them?

I finished a review session with some Silverfi Rumi solid silver ICs. I was expecting a bright presentation but that was not the case. The neutrality and openness of sound was surprising. More detail with less volume and noticeably more open soundstage. The most impressive thing is the emotion they inspire from the music. A lot of my old rock has been pretty bad sounding but these cables make them sound like remasters. They are more than I'd care to spend but I am saving anyway.

LeRoy
11-07-2013, 08:02 PM
I ordered a pair of Mogami mono cables this past Saturday and got em in on Tuesday. Yesterday, I went a ahead and placed another order for 5 more of these cables. They don't sound like anything....they are neutral but not boorish...no frequency extremes...just accuracy of tone with no embellishments and no sibilance that I can detect. For the $$ I could not pass up a chance and glad I got them.

It's a 75 ohm cable and is recommended as an analog IC and/or S/PDIF.

Mogami Pure Patch RCA to RCA Mono Hi-Definition Patch Cable | Musician's Friend (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/mogami-pure-patch-rca-to-rca-mono-hi-definition-patch-cable#productDetail)

blackraven
11-08-2013, 09:45 AM
I ended up winning the bid and should get the Silnote cables next week. Here is a pro review-

Silnote Morpheus Reference II Cable Review (http://www.stereomojo.com/Silnote%20Morpheus%20ReferenceII%20Cable%20Review. htm/SilnoteMorpheusReferenceIICableReview.htm)

LeRoy
11-08-2013, 06:28 PM
I ended up winning the bid and should get the Silnote cables next week. Here is a pro review-

Silnote Morpheus Reference II Cable Review (http://www.stereomojo.com/Silnote%20Morpheus%20ReferenceII%20Cable%20Review. htm/SilnoteMorpheusReferenceIICableReview.htm)

Congrats on the winning bid! I heard the Morpheus Ref II cable before on a system configuration of Altman DAC, Altman Amp, and Khorns. When my buddy swapped the IC's and put the MRII on...it changed everything for the better. Much more exciting and detailed. I have wanted a pair of MRII ever since. Enjoy your winnings.

blackraven
11-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Congrats on the winning bid! I heard the Morpheus Ref II cable before on a system configuration of Altman DAC, Altman Amp, and Khorns. When my buddy swapped the IC's and put the MRII on...it changed everything for the better. Much more exciting and detailed. I have wanted a pair of MRII ever since. Enjoy your winnings.

Its good to hear from some one that heard them. I got them for $200pr about my limit for IC's. Although I may need a pair of XLR's soon as I am thinking about buying a used Pass X1 preamp and selling my Van Alstine preamp.