Movies in November [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Movies in November

Smokey
11-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Lets see what are coming this month.

Ranked by release date:

Ender's Game: 70 years after a horrific alien war, an unusually gifted child is sent to an advanced military school in space to prepare for a future invasion.
http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.site/PHidMOZiIovimj_1_m.jpg

Last Vegas: When Billy (Douglas), the group's sworn bachelor, finally proposes to his thirty-something (of course) girlfriend, the four head to Las Vegas with a plan to stop acting their age and relive their glory days.
http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.site/PH2X3rIMNgUc63_1_m.jpg

Free Birds: Two turkeys from opposite sides of the tracks must put aside their differences and team up to travel back in time to change the course of history - and get turkey off the holiday menu for good.
http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.site/PH77CClAHgOLag_1_m.jpg

Thor: The Dark World: The Dark World continues the big-screen adventures of Thor, the Mighty Avenger, as he battles to save Earth and all the Nine Realms from a shadowy enemy that predates the universe itself.
http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.site/PHfL9hnLHjWein_4_m.jpg

Nebraska: An aging, booze-addled father makes the trip from Montana to Nebraska with his estranged son in order to claim a million dollar Publisher's Clearing House sweepstakes prize.
http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.site/PHpw9Fyy3s92sq_1_m.jpg

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: After winning the 74th Annual Hunger Games along with fellow tribute Peeta Mellark, they must turn around and leave their family and close friends, embarking on a Victor's Tour of the districts.
http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.site/PH8A15qYpLHabd_1_m.jpg

Her:A lonely writer develops an unlikely relationship with his newly-purchased operating system that's designed to meet his every need.
http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.site/PHGPZgNatfrhKH_2_m.jpg

Delivery Man: The story of affable underachiever David Wozniak, whose mundane life is turned upside down when he finds out that he fathered 533 children through sperm donations he made twenty years earlier.
http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.site/PHCNw3ohOns3FI_1_m.jpg

Frozen: Fearless Anna sets off on an epic journey—teaming up with rugged mountain man and his loyal reindeer to find her sister Elsa, whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom of Arendelle in eternal winter.
http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.site/PHO8yE15nnzJRT_3_m.jpg

Black Nativity: BLACK NATIVITY follows Langston, a street-wise teen from Baltimore raised by a single mother, as he journeys to New York City to spend the Christmas holiday with his estranged relatives.
http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.site/PHNUgArq7I5xQW_1_m.jpg

Feanor
11-02-2013, 04:19 AM
I'll wait for reviews, but nothing inherently interesting here.

My son gave me a copy of Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game, raving about the "Ender" series as a whole. I read Ender's Game: what a flaming waste of time -- one of the worst sci-fi reads in my life. Puerile plot concept and characters, poorly written, and overly long. Well it might have some appeal to the pre-adolescent crowd. I don't see myself going to the flick.

Smokey
11-02-2013, 08:27 PM
I am not familiar with Ender's Game plot. The movie was released in Europe last week and reviews seem to be mixed on this one, mostley calling it average. Lets see how it will be received in this side of the pond.

The movie Last Vegas with Robert Deniro and Morgan Freeman seem to be interesting. From the movie posters, these old timers seem to be having a good time.

Worf101
11-05-2013, 09:09 AM

My son gave me a copy of Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game, raving about the "Ender" series as a whole. I read Ender's Game: what a flaming waste of time -- one of the worst sci-fi reads in my life. Puerile plot concept and characters, poorly written, and overly long. Well it might have some appeal to the pre-adolescent crowd. I don't see myself going to the flick.

Interesting... I read the book decades ago. I found it... alright. Not exactly Heinlein or Bradbury but not the worst. They've NOT had good luck with good sci-fi lately on the big screen so I wouldn't expect much from this one.

Worf

dean_martin
11-05-2013, 11:47 AM
"Her" and the Bruce Dern film "Nebraska" look interesting to me, except that the synopsis of "Her" seems familiar. Didn't we already get a film or films in which a writer has a "relationship" with his/her imagined character? I guess an OS is different.

The "Nebraska" cast looks interesting, indeed.

JoeE SP9
11-06-2013, 01:40 PM

While I haven't seem the movie yet, we are in total disagreement about the book. I'm not a "Trekkie" or a Star Wars "freak". I'm a reader of science fiction. I buy and collect books, paper and hardback. Enders Game has won both the Hugo and Nebula awards. I agree with the awarding of both. I support my opinion by owning hardback copies of the first three books in the series. Your feelings about this book are not in the mainstream. I suspect that your feelings about science fiction in general are not in the mainstream.

Worf101
11-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Saw "Last Vegas" - About as shallow as a puddle in a Walmart parking lot. Don't waste your time or money... See it if you must on DVD or HBO in about 6 months.

Worf

Smokey
11-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Thanks Worf. I guess you can park that movie along side another film with big stars (Space Cowboys) that went nowhere :)

Feanor
11-10-2013, 04:35 PM
While I haven't seem the movie yet, we are in total disagreement about the book. I'm not a "Trekkie" or a Star Wars "freak". I'm a reader of science fiction. I buy and collect books, paper and hardback. Enders Game has won both the Hugo and Nebula awards. I agree with the awarding of both. I support my opinion by owning hardback copies of the first three books in the series. Your feelings about this book are not in the mainstream. I suspect that your feelings about science fiction in general are not in the mainstream.
I've read a lot of Sci-Fi in my time, Joe, and enjoyed most of it. Different things appeal to different people in any case: you can judge what I like by my favorites.

My favorite writer by a wide margin is Gene Wolfe; his Book of the New Sun series was my best read of all time in the genre. I also enjoyed Frank Herbert's Dune series so far as Children of Dune, (but no further). Another series I enjoyed was Brian Aldiss' Heliconia Trilogy.

JoeE SP9
11-11-2013, 08:11 AM
I've read a lot of Sci-Fi in my time, Joe, and enjoyed most of it. Different things appeal to different people in any case: you can judge what I like by my favorites.

My favorite writer by a wide margin is Gene Wolfe; his Book of the New Sun series was my best read of all time in the genre. I also enjoyed Frank Herbert's Dune series so far as Children of Dune, (but no further). Another series I enjoyed was Brian Aldiss' Heliconia Trilogy.

Yes, our tastes are quite different. I too have read the Book Of The New Sun series. Meh! I did at least give them a try. Nothing that Gene Wolfe has ever written works for me. His stuff comes across to me as Fantasy with little to no Science Fiction. I have no interest whatsoever in Fantasy or Horror.

I'm not much of a Brian Aldiss fan either. I will however give the Heliconia Spring Trilogy a try. BTW: IMO, Chapterhouse Dune is almost as good as Dune itself. It's much better than either Dune Messiah or Children of Dune.

Feanor
11-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Yes, our tastes are quite different. I too have read the Book Of The New Sun series. Meh! I did at least give them a try. Nothing that Gene Wolfe has ever written works for me. His stuff comes across to me as Fantasy with little to no Science Fiction. I have no interest whatsoever in Fantasy or Horror.

I'm not much of a Brian Aldiss fan either. I will however give the Heliconia Spring Trilogy a try.
Yeah, different strokes.

Personally I do draw a line between sci-fi and fantasy. So though Wolfe's work can seem like fantasy, there is "science" behind everything. That is, if by science you mean highly speculative science, not the relatively hard-core Arthur C. Clarke science. E.g. time travel plays a large but mostly hidden role in the New Sun series -- lots of this stuff is explained in the sequel, Urth of the New Sun.

Speaking of movies and fantasy, I don't doubt I'll see the next Hobbit episode, The Desolation of Smaug, though I was disappointed by the first episode, The Unexpected Journey. This is because I'm such a Tolkien fan. It's interesting the way Jackson has "blown out" the simple, short Hobbit novel with material from the LoTR, including, significantly, its appendices. (I believe that Jackson hasn't acquired rights to the Silmarilion, which is too bad in a way.)

JoeE SP9
11-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Yeah, different strokes.

Personally I do draw a line between sci-fi and fantasy. So though Wolfe's work can seem like fantasy, there is "science" behind everything. That is, if by science you mean highly speculative science, not the relatively hard-core Arthur C. Clarke science. E.g. time travel plays a large but mostly hidden role in the New Sun series -- lots of this stuff is explained in the sequel, Urth of the New Sun.

Speaking of movies and fantasy, I don't doubt I'll see the next Hobbit episode, The Desolation of Smaug, though I was disappointed by the first episode, The Unexpected Journey. This is because I'm such a Tolkien fan. It's interesting the way Jackson has "blown out" the simple, short Hobbit novel with material from the LoTR, including, significantly, its appendices. (I believe that Jackson hasn't acquired rights to the Silmarilion, which is too bad in a way.)

Yeah, I read the sequel also. Still feel meh. I read extremely fast. When motivated I read five or more novels a week. Thank God for libraries and paperbacks. I read the Tolkien books (also own all of them) among many others sitting in the back of English class while in high school. My teachers didn't like science fiction but didn't have the same problem with fantasy. Go figure! Tolkien being a fantasist was something I read when I ran out of Sci-Fi. Gene Wolf is for me in the same category.

I haven't seen The Hobbit yet. Having cancer put a major slowdown on most of my movie going. I may just buy the BluRay and get it over with.

Imran520
11-20-2013, 11:27 PM
All Movies of November are good to watched.