Preamp tape out suitable to a different preamp? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Preamp tape out suitable to a different preamp?

SkiFastBadly
10-31-2013, 08:07 PM
Ok that's probably a really poorly formed question. Here's my situation: I have a Adcom 500II preamp which I feed with an Adcom DCA 700 d/a for 99% of my listening. I recently found a good deal on an Adcom 750 GFP which, from the reviews I've read, is the cat's meow. But...the 500II supports phono, whereas the 750 does not. So the question is, can I use the 750 for my digital music, and feed the phono into the 500II, pulling the signal from the tape out to the aux on the 750 without significant signal degradation, and get the best of both worlds?

Feanor
11-01-2013, 03:48 AM
Ok that's probably a really poorly formed question. Here's my situation: I have a Adcom 500II preamp which I feed with an Adcom DCA 700 d/a for 99% of my listening. I recently found a good deal on an Adcom 750 GFP which, from the reviews I've read, is the cat's meow. But...the 500II supports phono, whereas the 750 does not. So the question is, can I use the 750 for my digital music, and feed the phono into the 500II, pulling the signal from the tape out to the aux on the 750 without significant signal degradation, and get the best of both worlds?
Just so I understand you. You wonder whether you can feed (1) the DCA700 and (2) the GFP500II to a GFP750.

Yes, sure. Feed the DCA700 Analog Out to any the Aux In of the GFP750. And, yes, the feed the GFP500II Tape Out to any convenient input of the GFP750, including the Tape In.

The GFP750 is a very nice preamp, BTW, I owned one for several couple of year. I sold it, but came to wish I'd kept it.