Do I really need a smart phone? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need a smart phone?

Smokey
10-26-2013, 06:07 PM
My cellphone is not a smart phone (just a regular touch screen phone for texing and calls), and was thinking to my self whether I need to upgrade to a smart phone or not.

I don't do facebook or social networks and have PC at home for internet. Am I missing something here not having a smart phone like everybody elses. Or can somebody give me a convincing reason why I need to upgrade to an Android phone?

ForeverAutumn
10-26-2013, 06:31 PM
The last thing that I use my iPhone for is as a phone.

It's my address book, my calendar, my email, and my internet. I use it to pay for my coffee at Starbucks. I have an app that helps me find parking lots when I'm in the city. I check the weather on it, not just for my own city but wherever I might be travelling. I use it as a camera when I want to snap a quick picture and quality isn't important. I've used the clock on it as a stop-watch, a timer, and an alarm clock. It has iTunes, and I can acccess both regular and satellite radio stations. It's also a flashlight. I have some games on it, but I never play them. I use it as a GPS; it knows where I am and can tell me where I'm going and how to get there.

I'm sure that I use it for other stuff too, but that's just the stuff that immediately comes to mind. You may be happy with your flip-phone, but only because you don't know what a smart phone is capable of. I'd be lost without mine.

Feanor
10-26-2013, 06:56 PM
The last thing that I use my iPhone for is as a phone.

It's my address book, my calendar, my email, and my internet. I use it to pay for my coffee at Starbucks. I have an app that helps me find parking lots when I'm in the city. I check the weather on it, not just for my own city but wherever I might be travelling. I use it as a camera when I want to snap a quick picture and quality isn't important. I've used the clock on it as a stop-watch, a timer, and an alarm clock. It has iTunes, and I can acccess both regular and satellite radio stations. It's also a flashlight. I have some games on it, but I never play them. I use it as a GPS; it knows where I am and can tell me where I'm going and how to get there.

I'm sure that I use it for other stuff too, but that's just the stuff that immediately comes to mind. You may be happy with your flip-phone, but only because you don't know what a smart phone is capable of. I'd be lost without mine.
That's actually quite impressive.

My mobile service provider less than a year ago offered to upgrade me to a modest smart phone for the same monthly fee as my old flip phone. I got the smart phone free too provided I didn't cancel with that provider, (Rogers, BTW), for three years.

Alas, I only use the smart phone like a stupid phone. I'd do more but the aforementioned monthly fee is for voice telephoning only; I don't even have texting. I'm 'way too poor -- and cheap -- to upgrade to the full data plan I'd need to do what you're doing with your iPhone.

Smokey
10-26-2013, 07:06 PM
You may be happy with your flip-phone...

That would be touch screen phone (LG 840G), not a flip-phone :)

My phone is pretty much capable of everything you mentioned except can't run apps, do email, GPS, internet radio or video. The phone does have a browser and WI-FI, but internet surfing is painfully slow. So no surfing on my phone either.

I see alot of poeple with their smart phone surfing the net, and keep telling myself why would I want to look at such a small screen when have a 32 inch PC monitor at the house :)

Smokey
10-26-2013, 07:22 PM
I'm 'way to poor -- and cheap -- to upgrade to the full data plan I'd need to do what you're doing with your iPhone.

Data plan is big chunk of the montly phone fee. If one doesn't require data plan, unlimited phone and text plan can be had for under $30 a month.

JohnMichael
10-26-2013, 07:36 PM
I agree with ForeverAutumn and I would not want to be anywhere without my iPhone. I am constantly looking up information from the web. If a client is put on a new med I can look it up if they have questions. There is just so much information available in your hand. The 4G phones are very quick.

The cameras have improved and mine has a flash for dark scenes. If you are ever in an auto accident photograph the damage and contact your insurance company online. In a strange city and looking for a restaurant check the ratings. Mine is a constant companion to daily living. When I am out walking my dog through wooded areas if I twist and ankle in a groundhog hole I can call for help and the phone can lead the squad to me.

I watch You Tube and music videos and if I need to read smaller print there is a way to enlarge the image. You can select apps for your local news stations and get weather alerts. I can even moderate by iPhone. E mail, G mail, Hot mail all available. I can sign political petitions, make donations and so many other things.

You may not need one but once you have it good luck living without it.

ForeverAutumn
10-27-2013, 06:26 AM
I'm 'way to poor -- and cheap -- to upgrade to the full data plan I'd need to do what you're doing with your iPhone.

That's a very valid point. Without the data plan, my bill would be cut in half. I'm also still getting the benefit of an old corporate price plan even though I haven't worked for that company in 7 years. Bell keeps renewing the plan for me to keep me from shopping around. So, relative to other people that I know, I'm not paying that much. :)

blackraven
10-27-2013, 07:45 AM
I don't own a smart phone either. Would I use one if I had one, yes, do I need one no!.
The reason I don't have one is cost. I pay or 4 cell phones, Cable TV with HBO and High speed internet. Where does it all end. That is about $250 per month.

I am however thinking about getting a Google Nexus or IPAD Mini to connect to a wireless hot spot if I need to get on the Net.

ForeverAutumn
10-27-2013, 01:27 PM
I am however thinking about getting a Google Nexus or IPAD Mini to connect to a wireless hot spot if I need to get on the Net.

You could get a smart phone without a data plan, do the same thing, and not carry around two devices. Of course the tablet is easier to read and type on. So it would depend how much you think you would use it and what you use it for.

blackraven
10-27-2013, 01:45 PM
I like the larger sizes of the Nexus and IPad Mini as well as their increased power as a tablet and reader.

Hyfi
10-28-2013, 04:03 AM
Even tho I work in the technology field, I still refuse to be joined at the hip to the digital world. It's Overload, Overkill, and many people will be at a loss when the systems go down while they thought paperless was the way to go.

I am still using a 6.5 year old Motorola Razr flip phone. It had Text capabilities but I had it turned off because the carrier kept texting me and then charging me for it. I also don't give the number to everybody, it is more for communicating with my wife and for free log distance calls after hours and weekends. I still have a basic land line.

I don't text or tweet and do very little BragBook on the PC. I do not need instant gratification nor need to keep checking my phone for whatever all day. Most people with Smart Phones are rude. They play with them the whole time they are at restaurants, shows, walking down the street or across the street and wherever they can. The last wedding I went to, a couple at our table sat there texting the whole time, sometimes to each other.

Nobody "NEEDS" a smartphone, they choose to have one. Geez, how did anyone ever survive the day 15 years ago?

TheHills44060
10-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Even tho I work in the technology field, I still refuse to be joined at the hip to the digital world. It's Overload, Overkill, and many people will be at a loss when the systems go down while they thought paperless was the way to go...
Hyfi we are on the exact same page on this one! I despise having a cellphone and the only time I'll appreciate it is when I'm face down in a gutter and need to order some Thai food before I croak. It seems like many people who are attached to their phones are making up for some other void in his/her lives or feel the need for attention.

Unfortunately i had to get one for work purposes but I wouldn't shed a tear if i accidentally backed over it with my car.

JohnMichael
10-28-2013, 04:00 PM
It seems like many people who are attached to their phones are making up for some other void in his/her lives or feel the need for attention.

Or maybe they have people to talk with and plan events. You can talk and surf the net for restaurant reviews to plan your night. What gallery is showing a new artist? Are there any concerts in town? So much of life is planned using a smart phone these days. When travelling a text message will alert you to a friend waiting at the bar for your group. So many benefits.

Smokey
10-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Or maybe they have people to talk with and plan events. You can talk and surf the net for restaurant reviews to plan your night. What gallery is showing a new artist? Are there any concerts in town? So much of life is planned using a smart phone these days.

Those tasks can also be done using home PC :)

Redundancy of having internet access with PC vs smartphone (and paying extra for same access), is what keeping me on the fense about upgrading.

JohnMichael
10-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Those tasks can also be done using home PC :)

Redundancy of having internet access with PC vs smartphone (and paying extra for same access), is what keeping me on the fense about upgrading.

Who is home? I can plan my evenings from work on a lunch break. It is only redundancy if you travel around with your home PC. A smart phone is lighter.

Hyfi
10-29-2013, 02:57 AM
Or maybe they have people to talk with and plan events. You can talk and surf the net for restaurant reviews to plan your night. What gallery is showing a new artist? Are there any concerts in town? So much of life is planned using a smart phone these days. When travelling a text message will alert you to a friend waiting at the bar for your group. So many benefits.

Some people have the capability of talking to and planning events with a NON Smart Phone. Some people spend the whole working day in front of a PC and can see what show is in town in a heartbeat. In fact many have subscriptions to get emails from their favorite venues with who is playing when.

When traveling, any friend who knows how to text should also know how to speed dial a number and alert their friends.

Feanor
10-29-2013, 04:13 AM
So ultimately it depends on life style.

I'm retired so have plenty of time at home to use the PC for whatever research. Further, and sadly perhaps, I have a very low key social life so don't have very many events to plan. I can't afford to dine out except we go to family-type restaurants a couple of times a month. I can't afford to travel except to visit my son out west; I can't afford to go to concerts, (cheaper to buy recordings), or even movies more than four or five times a year, (cheaper to watch TV though I recently cancelled Netflix),.

So paying for a fancy 'phone and data plan would tend to limit rather than expand my options.

JohnMichael
10-29-2013, 04:54 AM
So ultimately it depends on life style.

I'm retired so have plenty of time at home to use the PC for whatever research. Further, and sadly perhaps, I have a very low key social life so don't have very many events to plan. I can't afford to dine out except we go to family-type restaurants a couple of times a month. I can't afford to travel except to visit my son out west; I can't afford to go to concerts, (cheaper to buy recordings), or even movies more than four or five times a year, (cheaper to watch TV though I recently cancelled Netflix),.

So paying for a fancy 'phone and data plan would tend to limit rather than expand my options.

Feanor I am at the other end not being retired and working six 9 hour days a week. Also as a caregiver to the elderly I do not use their phone or computer if one is even available. Since I am away from my computer and brining a laptop would be frowned upon I rely on my smartphone. If my client naps out it comes. I check e-mails, messages on my home phone, news updates and check out my favorite sites. I can text friends about plans. Working so much and spending several hours a day walking my Beagle the phone helps me make the most of my limited free time.

Feanor
10-29-2013, 05:14 AM
Feanor I am at the other end not being retired and working six 9 hour days a week. Also as a caregiver to the elderly I do not use their phone or computer if one is even available. Since I am away from my computer and brining a laptop would be frowned upon I rely on my smartphone. If my client naps out it comes. I check e-mails, messages on my home phone, news updates and check out my favorite sites. I can text friends about plans. Working so much and spending several hours a day walking my Beagle the phone helps me make the most of my limited free time.
Like I say, it depends on life style -- Corky is a lucky dog to get those nice long walks!

JohnMichael
10-29-2013, 05:27 AM
Like I say, it depends on life style -- Corky is a lucky dog to get those nice long walks!

I did learn not to text and walk while in the fields with Corky. Did not see that groundhog hole and my phone went flying. Corky smiles but when I do something foolish his smiles sometimes seems like laughter.

recoveryone
11-12-2013, 02:54 PM
I know that I am way late to the party on this thread but I can't resist any opportunity to give Smokey a good ribbing.

1) Smokey is actually thinking of spending money (if its not free he don't want it)

2) Smokey, to use a smart phone you need to be a bit smart yourself :0

3) Smokey, to use a smart phone you need to be able to use your fingers (knuckles don't text very well) caveman

4) Smokey, if you got a smart phone it may have faster internet than those 3 monkeys and a possum PC you are using, and that would suck refer to 3

ok I'm done Lov you much brother Smoke, you just set yourself up too much LOL :)

Smokey
11-12-2013, 08:22 PM
ok I'm done Lov you much brother Smoke..

So you call those comments luv http://www.websmileys.com/sm/violent/sterb116.gif

Some of it are true though, especially #1 :D