specific question on home depot cables [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : specific question on home depot cables

nusiclover
04-22-2004, 11:44 AM
Ok, from what i gathered at home depot yesterday, there are 2 different 12 gauge cables. Both are extremely flexible. One is the actual "speaker cable" the other is the "garden-yard" cable. For thos who have seen them, one is transparent the other is black. For thos who have used them, which works better and why?

Rockwell
04-22-2004, 07:23 PM
Ok, from what i gathered at home depot yesterday, there are 2 different 12 gauge cables. Both are extremely flexible. One is the actual "speaker cable" the other is the "garden-yard" cable. For thos who have seen them, one is transparent the other is black. For thos who have used them, which works better and why?

Better in what way?

mtrycraft
04-22-2004, 09:24 PM

One may be less expnsive so it works better. Actually they are equals but since one may cost less, you get more for less:)
There is no evidence that they should work differently from each other, audibly, that is.

FLZapped
04-23-2004, 08:57 AM

Well, If it is the black stuff I'm thinking of; It may be bulk low-voltage landscape wire. If you go check in the outdoor lighting department, you'll probably find it cut into pre-measured lengths by a specific manufacturer. (I have some by Carol).

I don't have any reason to believe that there would be audible differences between them.

-Bruce

jmracura
04-28-2004, 08:27 AM

I bought the transparent 12gauge cables in December for my new system and have been very pleased. I also posted on the site a similar queation and got some great responses from people like mtrycraft. The money I was going to spend on better cabling was spent on getting better equipment than I was originally. Done the line if I have several hundred dollars to blow I may buy some more expensive cabling and try it out...maybe.

At the store where I bought my system, they have a setup with my receiver and speaker package with monster cable and although my living room at home has totally different acoustics that the store, I could not tell any difference whatsover in quality. Both systems sound crisp and clear at different volume levels.

nusiclover
04-29-2004, 10:39 PM
follow up:
i went to HD today. after reading the review, i noticed they were referring to HD outdoor extension wires. I looked at these, anbd they do look like they offer good shielding (300v). however, they are 3 pronged and i have no idea what to do with the 3rd set of wires, so i will skip on this option. The transparent 12 ga designated "speaker" cable offers no shielding. this might have a negative impact on my hifi system...so i started looking around and found telecommunications wires that run 12awg and have a nylon covering that gives them 600v protection as well as being gasoline and oil proof (you know, in case this were to get on the speaker cables i would be protected). anyways, upon examing these cables i noticed the copper strands were not as numerous as those found on the "spearer" cables and the outdoor extension cables. actually, there were maybe 12 strands. very thick ones at that (thus making the 12awg density). does anyone know about this? can these be used? does the "shielding" aspect matter that much?

mtrycraft
05-04-2004, 10:00 PM
follow up:
i went to HD today. after reading the review, i noticed they were referring to HD outdoor extension wires. I looked at these, anbd they do look like they offer good shielding (300v). however, they are 3 pronged and i have no idea what to do with the 3rd set of wires, so i will skip on this option. The transparent 12 ga designated "speaker" cable offers no shielding. this might have a negative impact on my hifi system...so i started looking around and found telecommunications wires that run 12awg and have a nylon covering that gives them 600v protection as well as being gasoline and oil proof (you know, in case this were to get on the speaker cables i would be protected). anyways, upon examing these cables i noticed the copper strands were not as numerous as those found on the "spearer" cables and the outdoor extension cables. actually, there were maybe 12 strands. very thick ones at that (thus making the 12awg density). does anyone know about this? can these be used? does the "shielding" aspect matter that much?

I think we were talking about outdoor low voltage landscape wire?