Enter: A new member [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Enter: A new member

lux-man
10-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Hello everyone!
As its a given that we are all audiophiles here, I'll keep it a tad precise.
My name is Faraz, and I'm a huge fan of Luxman. Previously, my system comprised of the following...

Luxman C12 PreAmp
Marantz Model 1205 (which I use as a poweramp)
Demon 1530G CD player
Small Advent monitors
And Mission 700s

The Advents match beautifully with my system, so much that I could not find any faults on my jazz and tabla albums.

As I always wanted to shift to a Luxman poweramp, I came across a 5L15, which I grabbed the instant I laid eyes on it.

Now it seems that my beautiful balanced system is not so balanced anymore. Shifting to Mission 700s made the sound dramatically better, but there's still something missing.

So here I am, searching for some expert help from you guys.....

Mr Peabody
10-24-2013, 03:01 PM
I'm not very familiar with Luxman, I did own one of their receivers which was very clean sounding with a bit of emphasis on the high end. Marantz is typically a warm sounding unit and may be what you liked about your prior set up. You could try a different power amp to see. What is it about the Luxman together you don't like?

Welcome to AR and hope you stick around.

TheHills44060
10-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Hi lux. Gotta love the small Advents. My uncle has a pair with the orange tweeters and whenever I would house sit I'd spend hours listening to them. They are a set em and forget em type of speaker which is nice.

lux-man
10-24-2013, 11:29 PM
I'm not very familiar with Luxman, I did own one of their receivers which was very clean sounding with a bit of emphasis on the high end. Marantz is typically a warm sounding unit and may be what you liked about your prior set up. You could try a different power amp to see. What is it about the Luxman together you don't like?

Welcome to AR and hope you stick around.

The Advente sound very sweet with the marantz, but with the Lux, a certain hum is added to the overall sound, which is not very pleasing to the ears. However, with the Mission speakers, the Lux setup produces excellent sound. Very smooth and sweet.

Mr Peabody
10-25-2013, 05:03 PM
I suppose the fix is use the Mission then. Maybe the Lux revealed a weakness in the Advent.