Rave Recs Favorites Contest: James Brown v. Marvin Gaye (FINAL) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rave Recs Favorites Contest: James Brown v. Marvin Gaye (FINAL)

mad rhetorik
04-22-2004, 11:45 AM
Final Match, Funk/R&B Division (Mini-Shootout): <b>James Brown v. Marvin Gaye</b>

Polls close 4/24.

Worf101
04-22-2004, 08:46 PM
Marvin penned my personal choice of best album of all time... "What's Goin On?" And I also love "Let's Get It On". But as great as these works were, most of his hits were Motown songs penned by Smokey, Holland, Dosier & Holland among others. Marvin was a great talent but James changed the face of popular music for all time. I know he didn't pen all those songs by himself. He, like George Clinton, had a talented coterie who helped him compose... but those grooves... my God... Even if you don't know the songs... you've heard the gooves..... Musician's know... old fart's like me know... he was/is a master and at 70 still going strong. Can't do any splits anymore but he can still croon...

Just don't ask him to talk or let him date your sister..

Da Worfster :eek:

nobody
04-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Yeah, I can see the James Brown arguement. He was such a major figure, he's hard to vote against. Still, as much as I wanted to vote for JB, I just had to go with Marvin. I have one 2 CD James Brown collection that I do play pretty often, but I have a bunch more Marvin Gaye stuff that is constantly in rotation. His Superhits collection spends a whole lot of time on the turntable. It's one of those that rarely gets filed back away. In the end, I just had to go with the guy that I really listen to more and that really brings more pleasure into my life on a regular basis. I guess my head said James Brown but my heart said Marvin Gaye.