HELP with speaker and mixer compatibility issue [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HELP with speaker and mixer compatibility issue

Integra
10-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Hi,

I have 2 Yamaha s115v speakers at 250w/500w/1000w that I want to connect to a Mackie 808s power mixer that is 600w/1200w. Will that be OK? Will they work together fine?

Thanks.

harley .guy07
10-18-2013, 04:25 AM
They should be fine unless you run the amp into distortion or clipping which could damage any speaker. Running too much power is never a bad thing in my opinion because you are allowing the amp to relax and do its thing. If you were running a 100 watt amp to those speakers then I would start to worry more since there would be a real chance of you running the amp into distortion or clipping which in turn could very well hurt the speakers.

Generally speaking when people blow speakers its generally because of amplifier distortion or clipping not because their amplifier pushed the speaker to hard due to being too powerful(it does happen in the pro sound world but not as likely as distortion,clipping)

Feanor
10-18-2013, 06:23 AM
Hi,

I have 2 Yamaha s115v speakers at 250w/500w/1000w that I want to connect to a Mackie 808s power mixer that is 600w/1200w. Will that be OK? Will they work together fine?

Thanks.
Perhaps the most common misapprehension in audio is that the power rating of the speaker should be taken as the maximum permitted amplifier power -- it ain't so. Speakers may be rated lower or higher than the speaker so long as you can drive the speakers to the level you want without distortion. An amplifier of much lower power than the speaker rating can damage the latter if amp is driven beyond its capability.

Integra
10-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Thanks, guys.