Speaker placement in room with a shared wall [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker placement in room with a shared wall

Vulash
10-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Hi all,

I'm setting up a couple of B&W bookshelf speakers in a 12 x 15 room on either side of my TV. I'm having the TV wall mounted on Saturday. Currently, my TV is on a shared wall in an apartment, with my couch on the other wall (along the 12' dimension) on the wall that goes to my bedroom.

My question is this. Which setup will sent the least amount of noise/bother my neighbors the least when I play music. The TV on the shared wall so that the speakers are closest to the shared wall, but facing the opposite direction, or my TV on the opposite wall (shared by my bedroom) so that my speakers are farthest from the shared wall, but facing it. Other configurations aren't really an option. I also live alone so there will be no issues with music going while I'm sleeping.

Thanks!

JohnMichael
10-17-2013, 12:59 PM
I live in an apartment and I would avoid the shared wall. The wall can create a big soundboard for your neighbors. In my apartment the side walls are better sound barriers than the floor/ceiling. A former neighbor who liked video games played loud had a wall mounted TV. All that sound travelled up the wall to my apartment.

I would listen and decide how well you hear your neighbor. If their sounds come through the walls easily you can be sure your music will. If you never hear your neighbor you may not have too much of an issue.

Vulash
10-17-2013, 01:27 PM
I live in an apartment and I would avoid the shared wall. The wall can create a big soundboard for your neighbors. In my apartment the side walls are better sound barriers than the floor/ceiling. A former neighbor who liked video games played loud had a wall mounted TV. All that sound travelled up the wall to my apartment.

I would listen and decide how well you hear your neighbor. If their sounds come through the walls easily you can be sure your music will. If you never hear your neighbor you may not have too much of an issue.

So you're saying the noise will travel less if the speakers are on the opposite wall, but facing it?

I never hear them now so I think it's fairly soundproofed. The only issues I have are people above me stomping around, but my speakers will be without a subwoofer and on stands so I'm not too concerned about bass traveling down.