Spotify (or other web service) for Comp "trading"? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Spotify (or other web service) for Comp "trading"?

tugmcmartin1973
10-16-2013, 09:20 AM
Howdy folks!

Long time no see!

As y'all can probably tell, i've been out of the loop for quite a while. Since i've last been here, looks like comp trading pretty much went the way of betamax. Can't say it's surprising with all of the technological advancements such as Pandora, etc. That said... i miss the days of snail-mailing discs across country to you fine folks and also receiving them from you. Musical exploration was never so fun! Each trip to the mailbox when i knew to expect a comp was like Christmas morning!

Do any of you use Spotify or other music services that let you share music playlists? Seems like this would be logical progression from sending CDs to each other.

Just a curious question.

Good to be back and see some familiar "faces".

Tug

Hyfi
10-16-2013, 09:36 AM
there was a short time when we were using dropbox but there isn't enough people left here to trade much.

Finch and I still send each other CD packages every once in a while. Not sure what and how anyone else is still trading.

Finch Platte
10-16-2013, 02:04 PM
there was a short time when we were using dropbox but there isn't enough people left here to trade much.

Finch and I still send each other CD packages every once in a while. Not sure what and how anyone else is still trading.

Yeah, Dropbox seemed to be what a few of my friends were using, but I like having a good-sounding CDR in my hands, with some possible creator-generated info & artwork. But with the price of mail these days (and limited post office services), it's getting harder and harder to muster enthusiasm for putting together a package of CDs. Plus, my taste has always been questionable. :D So, I just usually put together a shotgun package with so many things included so they have to like SOMEthing. Little more expensive, but it's worth it to me.

Plus, making comps is still fun. Nothing like getting a sixpack and spending a Sunday afternoon compiling music for friends. Just finishing up an 8-disc comp for a friend who likes oldies & C & W, plus she has a good sense of humor (think Bob Log III's Boob Scotch). It's been hella fun, as I'll stick on some cool stuff for her to assimilate (had Tony Joe White's Polk Salad Annie on one of the first discs, and when I got his new one, I got to put something off that one on a later disc). I was going to stop at 6 discs, but then I found a disc of sound effects that include the Robot from Lost In Space ("warning, warning") that I had to make discs 7 & 8 around ("it is Doctor Smith who is a bubble-headed booby"). :D Thank for checking back in, Tug, stick around a while!

Snowbunny
10-30-2013, 08:15 PM
WTF!?! Why can't we get Spotify in Canada?

Jan-Van-B
11-01-2013, 06:43 AM
I'm living in Holland and I use a program called Spotnet for "Comp Trading" these days. I guess the usage/language is only Dutch.
Years ago (10?) I did some comp-trading with some of the guys here, on this forum, for instance with Hyfi (His famous Bill Bruford comps). Exchanging by US Mail.

Hyfi and others; I see you're still active on this forum. I'm lurking once and a while. Greetings.