Denon DRA-275RD with Tannoy Mercury V1's??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon DRA-275RD with Tannoy Mercury V1's???

AlexisF
10-16-2013, 12:56 AM
Hi all, I'm a bit of a noob to all this so I'm looking for some of your expert opinions.

I've been given a Denon DRA-275RD amp, a bit old but in perfect working order (and free :) )
So i was looking to pair it with the Tannoy Mercury V1 speakers and a marantz CD6004 cd player.
My budget as you can tell is fairly limited, so these seemed like good items to go for, good reviews etc etc.

Thoughts?? Will all this sound ok together? Or is this more of a Frankensteins monster.

blackraven
10-16-2013, 07:33 AM
It should sound fine except at loud levels as the receiver is only 40 wpc and the speakers sensitivity is 86 dB. But for normal listening it should sound great.

AlexisF
10-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Excellent, I can't imagine I'll be playing it too loud.

As a further question... as the unit is on offer. Do you think its worth investing further in the Marrantz PM6004, its a discontinued line and therefore last units are reduced. Or will the difference in quality be negligible?

blackraven
10-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Its hard to say. I like the Marantz sound. Marantz typically has a house sound that leans on the warmer side. A warmer sound is more forgiving with bright sounding Cd's, especially older recordings and rock. The power gain of 5 more watts is negligible. I have never heard the Denon. But there may be some synergy of the Marantz receiver and the Marantz CD player and the two may compliment each other. Based on the review below that seems to be the case. So it may be a reasonable upgrade.

Here is a good review on the Marantz-

Marantz PM6004 review from the experts at whathifi.com (http://www.whathifi.com/review/marantz-pm6004)

frenchmon
10-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Excellent, I can't imagine I'll be playing it too loud.

As a further question... as the unit is on offer. Do you think its worth investing further in the Marrantz PM6004, its a discontinued line and therefore last units are reduced. Or will the difference in quality be negligible?

The Marantz will be a nice upgrade over the old Dennon. You should go for it. It will have excellent Synergy with the CD 6004. You will have a very nice system. As far as matching the Tannoys with it I cant say never ever hearing one. There is a guy here who has the V4's and loves them. Typically what you want to do is match warm amps and cdp with a more lively speaker to get to a more neutral sound from you kit. You never want warm on top of warm. If you do you will have sort of a warm boring soup that wont be enjoyable. Same with a lively amp and lively speakers...thats also a very unpleasant sound. Some seem to think you cant use interconnects to tune a system but I know its very possible. If a kit is on the bright side and fatigue, or warm and boring...cables can be used to correct these problems to a certain point. Good luck!

AlexisF
10-17-2013, 12:55 AM
Thank you both for all the info, will give it all a test over weekend.

blackraven
10-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Thank you both for all the info, will give it all a test over weekend.

Let us know how it sounds!

AlexisF
10-21-2013, 05:23 AM
Well, I went and got the Marrantz CD6004, and the Tannoy Mercury V4's. Decided to stick with the denon amp.

All hooked up and they sound fantastic. Even getting to high volume they don't distorted.

Really pleased, thank you both for all your advice.

BTW also treated myself to a Logitech harmony touch remote. As with the hifi it was going to be 6 remote controls. And the remote is awesome, highly recommend it if anyone was on the bench about it!

blackraven
10-21-2013, 07:46 AM
Glad to see things are sounding good.By the way, be careful not to drop the Harmony remote. I have one and they are known to break easily when dropped. They do work well though.