Onkyo TX-NR616: Connecting wireless headset [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Onkyo TX-NR616: Connecting wireless headset

dwtjan
10-11-2013, 11:59 PM
​I am in the process of trying to set up my new a/v digital home theater receiver: Onkyo TX-NR616.

I was using my: Yamaha RX-V493 a/v receiver.

I recently received my first LED LCD flat screen and wanted to utilize the HDMI connection and also
be able to expand for future digital components. I've been looking for an Onkyo digital a/v receiver for
about 2 years. They have a stupidly ridiculous amount of models to choose from. I researched heavily
yet of course I still ended up w/a model that is lacking the ability to connect an extremely important
component: Acoustic Research wireless stereo headset AW771 along w/the wireless speakers that
are also powered by the headset transmitter.

This may seem minor to most but I have become extremely hard of hearing, do to massive headphone
usage back in the 60's listening to Hendrix full volume. I use my headphones not only for music but these
days, for TV as well, in order to hear what the heck they're saying. I absolutely love my headphones and
rely on them heavily.

There apparently is no way to connect them the usual way w/this receiver which was connecting through
"Tape audio Out" which made it a "fixed" level output, enabling me to be able to use my headphones
w/absolutely every component hooked up w/separate control ability making it independent from needing
to have the main system in control.

I contacted Onkyo support, who was absolutely wonderful. The tech worked w/me for as long as I was able
to hang in there w/him. He informed me there were no audio outputs w/this model in order for me to be able
to use my headphones as before. He went on at length explaining how to be able to use them using the
"Zone 2" line out jacks. Pretty complicated to me, but do-able. The downside being I still would not be able
to use the volume control on my headphones. Having to go to the receiver each time I wanted to adjust the
volume is a BIG deal to me.

I also cannot connect my VCR using this receiver, which is no huge deal except I would have been able to
connect my headphones using the VCR to accomplish what I wanted.

I have heard you can connect two receivers together. That it probably would be the best way if you wanted
to be able to get the most out of your music system. I do not understand nor care to as what that exactly
means....what I'm wondering is could I connect my headphones (and VCR) using my old Yamaha and somehow
connect it to my new Onkyo in order to get my headphones working w/everything as before, w/me being able
to control them and the volume separately?

ANY advice as to how to solve my dilemma would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

dwtjan
10-12-2013, 12:25 AM
​I am in the process of trying to set up my new a/v digital home theater receiver: Onkyo TX-NR616.

I was using my: Yamaha RX-V493 a/v receiver.

I recently received my first LED LCD flat screen and wanted to utilize the HDMI connection and also
be able to expand for future digital components. I've been looking for an Onkyo digital a/v receiver for
about 2 years. They have a stupidly ridiculous amount of models to choose from. I researched heavily
yet of course I still ended up w/a model that is lacking the ability to connect an extremely important
component: Acoustic Research wireless stereo headset AW771 along w/the wireless speakers that
are also powered by the headset transmitter.

This may seem minor to most but I have become extremely hard of hearing, do to massive headphone
usage back in the 60's listening to Hendrix full volume. I use my headphones not only for music but these
days, for TV as well, in order to hear what the heck they're saying. I absolutely love my headphones and
rely on them heavily.

There apparently is no way to connect them the usual way w/this receiver which was connecting through
"Tape audio Out" which made it a "fixed" level output, enabling me to be able to use my headphones
w/absolutely every component hooked up w/separate control ability making it independent from needing
to have the main system in control.

I contacted Onkyo support, who was absolutely wonderful. The tech worked w/me for as long as I was able
to hang in there w/him. He informed me there were no audio outputs w/this model in order for me to be able
to use my headphones as before. He went on at length explaining how to be able to use them using the
"Zone 2" line out jacks. Pretty complicated to me, but do-able. The downside being I still would not be able
to use the volume control on my headphones. Having to go to the receiver each time I wanted to adjust the
volume is a BIG deal to me.

I also cannot connect my VCR using this receiver, which is no huge deal except I would have been able to
connect my headphones using the VCR to accomplish what I wanted.

I have heard you can connect two receivers together. That it probably would be the best way if you wanted
to be able to get the most out of your music system. I do not understand nor care to as what that exactly
means....what I'm wondering is could I connect my headphones (and VCR) using my old Yamaha and somehow
connect it to my new Onkyo in order to get my headphones working w/everything as before, w/me being able
to control them and the volume separately?

ANY advice as to how to solve my dilemma would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.