I became so tired of smooth and warm [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I became so tired of smooth and warm

JohnMichael
10-11-2013, 04:48 PM
The Marantz SA8001 has served me well. I have never had an issue with it but it is still time to part company. Replacing it will be the Sony SCD-XA5400ES. I thought briefly about the SA8004 but wanted a different sound. A more detailed sound and a little less of smooth and warm.

I am so pleased with the Focal 806V's and they easily let you hear what the other components are doing. The Focal's told me that a better source was needed. My vinyl is still sounding good but digital needs to step it up.

The first SACD player I heard was the original Sony and then for years I enjoyed a Sony ES cd player. As I was shopping for a new SACD/cd player I read reviews about the Sony. It sounded like what I was looking for in a player.

Well I ordered it today. Since I am so enjoying the Focal's I bought it with some of my speaker budget. Next purchase will be some XLR cables to be used from the Sony to the Krell. I am excited and I hope I love it as I did my Sony ES cd player.

ES Series SACD Player with HDMI - SCDXA5400ES Review | Sony Store U.S. - Sony US (http://store.sony.com/es-super-audio-cd-player-w-hdmi-output-zid27-SCDXA5400ES/cat-27-catid-All-ES-Home-Theater-Components)

Mr Peabody
10-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Congrats, looking forward to hearing how it works out, especially if it's a true balanced machine.. I'll read the review.

blackraven
10-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Congrats on the new player. The 8001 is a nice machine but it is as you described. I found my 840c to be more lively when I had both. Enjoy the Sony!

JohnMichael
10-12-2013, 05:48 AM
I am excited about having a new player. My vinyl sounds so good I wanted a digital player that will be as detailed. It ships Monday!

I think the SA8001 would be a good match for bright electronics or speakers. Every review I have read sounds like the Sony is just what I need. I will also like not having to manually select the SACD level. Using the XLR connections will free up an input. Who knows I might get a tuner.

Feanor
10-12-2013, 07:07 AM
The Sony SCD-XA5400ES looks good. I like that it has HDMI multi-channel which increases its versatility as well as balanced stereo outputs which would work for me now that I have a balanced preamp.

I'm envious because I'd like a good stereo SACD player myself. If your SA8001 is looking for a good home ... let me know.

Mr Peabody
10-12-2013, 08:15 AM
I was not able to tell positively if the 5400 is truly balanced, some of the verbage led me to believe it might be. I saw there are upgrades (mods) that can be done on the 5400 to improve it even more for not much money. If memory serves the Positive Feedback review had the mods done, some type of XLR output improvement and a clocking mechanism. Stock it is still an improvement over the prior 9000es according to reviews, and seems to be a good unit at the price.

I guess it's better to have the HDMI option than not but it would require an external multichannel DAC which I only know of in receivers or processors. In that case an universal player would meet that need.

JohnMichael
10-12-2013, 08:59 AM
I was not able to tell positively if the 5400 is truly balanced, some of the verbage led me to believe it might be. I saw there are upgrades (mods) that can be done on the 5400 to improve it even more for not much money. If memory serves the Positive Feedback review had the mods done, some type of XLR output improvement and a clocking mechanism. Stock it is still an improvement over the prior 9000es according to reviews, and seems to be a good unit at the price.

I guess it's better to have the HDMI option than not but it would require an external multichannel DAC which I only know of in receivers or processors. In that case an universal player would meet that need.

I do not know if it is truly balanced but I think at least it would have less noise. I will only be using it in my 2 channel system so the multi channel features will not be used. I doubt if I will ever have any mods done to the player.

JohnMichael
10-12-2013, 09:03 AM
The Sony SCD-XA5400ES looks good. I like that it has HDMI multi-channel which increases its versatility as well as balanced stereo outputs which would work for me now that I have a balanced preamp.

I'm envious because I'd like a good stereo SACD player myself. If your SA8001 is looking for a good home ... let me know.

I am surprised how much interest I have received over the SA8001. If i decide to sell or trade I will let you know.

blackraven
10-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Feanor, the 8001 wood be a great match for your SDS amp. The 8001 has a warm lush sound but could benefit from a dynamic amp. It certainly would smooth the HF of the SDS. You might even prefer it to the BitFrost DAC. Stereophile rated the 8001 a Class A component.

Feanor
10-12-2013, 03:31 PM
I am surprised how much interest I have received over the SA8001. If i decide to sell or trade I will let you know.
Thank you, JM. It's definitely of interest; I have an old Sony SCD-CE775 but it's SACD DAC doesn't sound as good standard 24/44.1 as my Schiit Bifrost Uber.

JohnMichael
10-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Well I may never get the Sony(drama alert). I received a notice that it shipped yesterday which should be good news. Sadly no, due to the fact they only put my apartment number on the Bill to address and not the Ship to address. The address of my building is correct but there are 8 apartments. I wonder who they will choose to give it to when they deliver it? Who would like to receive my phone call on Monday AM?

Feanor
10-13-2013, 05:41 AM
Feanor, the 8001 wood be a great match for your SDS amp. The 8001 has a warm lush sound but could benefit from a dynamic amp. It certainly would smooth the HF of the SDS. You might even prefer it to the BitFrost DAC. Stereophile rated the 8001 a Class A component.

This might all be true hence my interest.

JohnMichael
10-18-2013, 08:49 AM
The player is on the delivery truck and I am anxious to be finished with work. I will rush home and hook it up. It can warm up while I walk the dog. I hope I do not forget to walk the dog.

blackraven
10-18-2013, 09:33 AM
I am looking forward to your review. I am thinking about replacing my Van Alstine DAC and Music Hall 25.2 CD player that I am using as a transport. I would like something that plays SACD's and the Sony may be the ticket. I have had my eye on a used Marantz SA11S2, SA15S2 or 15S2B after I upgrade my preamp. I am still undecided if I should go the DAC route or go with a CD player.

JohnMichael
10-18-2013, 04:38 PM
I am a very happy man. I would say there is more illumination and musical color. I have not listened to a SACD yet but cd is very detailed but no brightness. The overall sound is very open.

JohnMichael
10-21-2013, 08:36 AM
The bass from the Sony is deeper and fuller than the Marantz. I have been more impressed with the Focal's now that the Sony is the source. Voices on the Sony are more full bodied without being warm or smooth. CD playback is excellent and I have a favorite cd of Tchaikovsky "Piano Concerto #1" and a different recording of it on SACD. While the SACD is better sonically the Sony does so well with cd's that the slight improvement is not greater than the better performance. I can only speak for the Marantz SA8001 but the Sony is a step up in performance.

I also have to admit to liking the looks of the Sony. The face of the unit is very clean and uncluttered. The disc drawer is smooth and quiet. The Sony is a very quiet player and there is no increase in mechanical noise when playing SACDs. There have not been any problems reading any of my discs.

I have not found anyway to dim the display which I could do on the SA8001. I am not sure there was any sonic benefit but I developed the habit of dimming displays. I am happy the unit has a standby mode

blackraven
10-21-2013, 09:41 AM
JM, it sounds like a winner. I bet it is more dynamic and musical than the Marantz. I found the 8001 to be too laid back for my system. Your review of the sony is the same as I have read about it. Congrats again!

Jack in Wilmington
10-21-2013, 10:45 AM
I just picked up the Denon DBT-1713UD to play my BluRay's and to handle my SACD's and DVD-A's. I had looked at the Sony and the Pioneer BDP-62FD and felt that this was the best fit for my system.

JohnMichael
10-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Jack sounds like A good choice for you. I do not have a tv in the same room as my two channel system. I tend to favor equipment to do just what I need it to do. Thought about the Oppo but way too many features I would never use. The Sony is incredible for anyone wanting only SACD/cd playback.

Jack in Wilmington
10-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Jack sounds like A good choice for you. I do not have a tv in the same room as my two channel system. I tend to favor equipment to do just what I need it to do. Thought about the Oppo but way too many features I would never use. The Sony is incredible for anyone wanting only SACD/cd playback.

At my local HiFi shop the Sony is the player of choice in the Totem, Paradigm room. If it was my two channel system, I would have gone with the Sony.

mjtab
10-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Your excitement on your new player has me thinking that I should consider the XA5400ES. I had a Sony DVD9000es a few years back and it was such an amazing cd player. I sold it because a monitor was necessary to change setting being that it is a dvd player foremost, though I only used it as a cd player. I never did play sacds on it. I'm in the market for a cd player and should consider the 5400es and buy a few sacds too. I'm currently looking for a source for my newly obtained Onix SP3 tube integrated amp.

JohnMichael
11-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Just a quick update that I received my AQ Diamondback XLR's today. Darker backgrounds, quieter and the images float in a more three dimensional way. Once you go balanced you cannot go back.

Mr Peabody
11-20-2013, 08:27 PM
My system improved nicely when I went all balanced as well. Glad to see you are having good results.

JohnMichael
11-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Comparing my AQ Diamondback RCA to the new Diamondback XLR proves once again that any time you can reduce noise and distortion in a system you increase the music. The soundstage has widened, deepened and center images float very nicely. Since the cables have the same number and type of copper and insulation in balanced mode the rhythm is better. Drums are better in time. The XA5400ES is good but in balanced mode it is superior.

When I was using the Transparent Cables their XLR cable was $465. I had decided not to bother with balanced mode. I was not sure the performance would justify the price. As I was becoming tired and irritated by the Transparent cables I switched to solid core again. I became aware of the new AQ line up of cables so I checked MD and found that they were discounting the Diamondbacks. Needless to say this has been one hell of a performance boost for $99.

JohnMichael
01-01-2014, 05:54 PM
The Sony continues to impress. I did have problems on track 27 and 28 on Bryn Terfel's "Vagabond". This is the first time it has had problems with any tracks of all the discs I have played. I tried to play it in my Sony changer/cd recorder and the cd played properly. Then I thought maybe I need to put the SA 8001 back in the system so I have two SACD/cd players. I removed the Sony changer/recorder because when I copy cd's it does not need to be hooked up to the stereo. The "Vagabond" cd did play in the SA 8001 without issue.

I had offers for the SA 8001 but was not sure what to sell it for or how long it might last due to age. I seem to have a hard time selling gear. I only have one integrated amp so I feel power poor. Oh and only one turntable but several cartridges and three extra phono preamps. I have four pair of speakers in the closet and some variety of stands. Oh and lots of copper to connect everything together.

Feanor
01-02-2014, 06:03 AM
The Sony continues to impress. I did have problems on track 27 and 28 on Bryn Terfel's "Vagabond". This is the first time it has had problems with any tracks of all the discs I have played. I tried to play it in my Sony changer/cd recorder and the cd played properly. Then I thought maybe I need to put the SA 8001 back in the system so I have two SACD/cd players. I removed the Sony changer/recorder because when I copy cd's it does not need to be hooked up to the stereo. The "Vagabond" cd did play in the SA 8001 without issue.

I had offers for the SA 8001 but was not sure what to sell it for or how long it might last due to age. I seem to have a hard time selling gear. I only have one integrated amp so I feel power poor. Oh and only one turntable but several cartridges and three extra phono preamps. I have four pair of speakers in the closet and some variety of stands. Oh and lots of copper to connect everything together.
Sorry to hear about the issue with the Sony -- hopefully the problem doesn't "spread".

For my part I've never had much problem parting with equipment replaced with newer. Really, it's the only thing that's made the hobby somewhat affordable for me.

The SA8001 is getting old given it's a mechanical component; (tuners last forever). 40% of what you paid is about tops for what you can reasonably expect -- more is gravy if you can get it.

JohnMichael
01-02-2014, 11:40 AM
I pulled out an old Jane Siberry disc that used to have similar issues with some players. It played perfectly in the Sony. The "Vagabond" disc is over 77 minutes long with 28 tracks and exhibits no strangeness until tracks 27 & 28. Again this has been the only disc and I think I need to use my disc cleaner on it just to make sure I am not missing anything.