PDA

View Full Version : Nice writeup on 16 Horsepower

Stone
04-22-2004, 10:48 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/22/16.horsepower/index.html

Swish
04-22-2004, 11:03 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/22/16.horsepower/index.html

how would you describe their style of music? Which cd would your recommend the most to a goof like me? Inquiring minds want to know! I know they've been discussed on this board before, but I can't remember and I'm too lazy to do a search. I probably have a least one or two tracks on comps I have, but I'd have to dig through them to find out.

Swishy Washy

Stone
04-22-2004, 11:21 AM
how would you describe their style of music? Which cd would your recommend the most to a goof like me? Inquiring minds want to know! I know they've been discussed on this board before, but I can't remember and I'm too lazy to do a search. I probably have a least one or two tracks on comps I have, but I'd have to dig through them to find out.

Swishy Washy

I'm not the person to ask about which CD to recommend. The only album I have of theirs is Folklore, which I think is very good, but I'm not as enamored by it as some others around here. I do have a compilation that someone here (I think maybe it was Desade?) put together of their earlier stuff. The earlier stuff is pretty much straight ahead alt-country, and is very good, and Folklore is a much more brooding affair.

Hopefully some others will weigh in on their output for you.

Stone

Davey
04-22-2004, 11:41 AM
I probably have a least one or two tracks on comps I have, but I'd have to dig through them to find out.
Yeah, probably. There's an earlier track on A Decade of Alt-Country that I described as "scary hellfire and damnation" and there's a song from Folklore on Uncle Davey's Holiday Mixer, which was my year end comp in 2002. The first one is a fast-charging, dark song that typifies a lot of their earlier sound while the latter is a more slow and brooding acoustic affair, both cloaked in strong religious imagery. Quite a few people here really liked Folklore, I believe. Really nice sound to it. The recording captures the feel and emotion of the music extremely well.

I wonder if Jar will like (or even recognize) my new avatar?

EDIT: Oh yeah, they do a pretty cool version of Joy Division's "Day of the Lord" on the live Hoarse album, and I guess that would be a good place to start in describing their sound - a slightly twangy Joy Division :)