Panasonic to end Plasma TV production [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic to end Plasma TV production

Smokey
10-09-2013, 05:33 PM
After much rumors that Panasonic may or may not end plasma production, it seem to true after all. Pansonic makes the best Plasma TVs as their 65 inch TC-P65ZT60 plasma was named the best TV of 2013.

Panasonic has reportedly already discontinued the development of new plasma TVs and hopes to stop production by the end of fiscal 2013 which is around March of next year. Sales will then continue until inventory runs out.

Panasonic reportedly ending plasma TV production by end of March 2014 (http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/08/panasonic-end-plasma-tv/)

blackraven
10-09-2013, 07:35 PM
It does not suprise me in the least. LED TV's have come a long way and with OLED tvs and 4k TV'S ready to make a splash and go mainstream in the coming years, plasma may go the way of the dinosaurs. Although a great plasma picture beats a great LED picture but not by much.

Jack in Wilmington
10-10-2013, 05:16 AM
I have two Panny plasmas, so I'll hate to see them go, but when I was at my hifi shop last week when I went into the TV room there was one set that stood out among all the others by a wide margin. I asked is that the new Samsung OLED and was told that it was the Samsung 8500 series plasma. The picture was so good that it kept drawing my eyes back to it. If Panasonic stops making plasma, at least there is another alternative.

blackraven
10-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Jack, the 8500 series plasma is fabulous. I almost bought one. It is on par with the Panny VT and ZT series plasma's. I would have bought the SS but it comes in a 50" and 60" and I wanted a 55". So I settled for the top of the line SS LED which is not far behind the plasma's. I liked the Panny VT series but it a few hundred more and not bright enough for my viewing area. The SS plasma would have been bright enough.

It is interesting that Panny may stop plasma production as their LED TV's do not have very good pictures compared to SS, Sony and LG. Maybe they have something in the works.

Jack in Wilmington
10-10-2013, 10:38 AM
It blew me away Raven. That's why I thought it was the OLED, it was that good. They even had the new Sony XBR 4K about three sets down the wall and they were feeding it a special 4K disc on a loop and the SS looked much better. Granted we had different content on the sets, but it wasn't that close that you couldn't tell. I can't wait to see the OLED.

I read that Panasonic was retrofitting part of their facility for the next generation of LED televisions. It didn't say what space they were using for the retrofit, but this may be it.

Smokey
10-10-2013, 08:04 PM
I read that Panasonic was retrofitting part of their facility for the next generation of LED televisions. It didn't say what space they were using for the retrofit, but this may be it.According to sources, looks like the plasma factories will also be put up for sale. I bet Samsung with their plasma line might also follow the same path. It seem to be financialy a losing industry.