My introduction [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My introduction

mjtab
10-08-2013, 05:47 AM
This is my formal greeting. I've never posted in AR's forum section. I have posted many reviews before, mostly under another moniker for some odd reason, I think because of trouble login in. I'm active on other forums and wanted to check out the forum section here. I've owned audiophile, budget, and vintage systems and I'm just sayin' hi for my first posting.

JohnMichael
10-08-2013, 06:23 AM
Welcome and join in anywhere. Your wide range of experience with different gear will be welcome here.

blackraven
10-08-2013, 06:54 AM
Welcome to AR! What gear do you currently have?

mjtab
10-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Hope to contribute from time to time.

Welcome to AR! What gear do you currently have?

I've had a major sell-off over these last years because of financial reasons, so I'm basically a bottom feeder these days. No great shakes systems, but it keeps me listening to music and watch a few movies.

Vintage rig:
'66 McIntosh MA5100, '69 Dual 1019/Shure M91ED, '75 Altec Lansing Model 1 (optional DMC Timeframe TF500)

2 Channel Theater:
Hafler 915, Harman Kardon HK870, Lafayette T6000/Jelco SA200/Shure, AT, Blue Point cartridges, Denon DVD1930, Denon TU660, DIY SEAS Froy Mk3

blackraven
10-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Nice gear there. My first pair of speakers were a pair of Altec Model 1 or 3's, I can't remember if mine had the 8" of 10" woofers. They were a nice sound speaker. I had it paired with a Pioneer 15wpc receiver and a JCV TT

I also like your TF speakers. I almost bought a pair but decided to save for the Time Windows.

mjtab
10-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Altec Model 1's are nice but I wish I didn't sell the Model 15. The MA5100 is highly estemed and quite tube-like and would probably have done the Model 15s justice, though maybe not quite how the AES Super Amp Mk2 did (sadly gone too). Really hard to fault a SS integrated amp not quite up to the standards of a EL34 amp in triode mode. Anyway I should have the Mac back from upgrades with Terry DeWick this weekend if all goes well, and will get back with you.
Slap me for selling all my good stuff. The vintage rig may go the way of the chopping block too, to pay months end mortgage.

mjtab
10-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Well picked up the Mac MA5100 last weekend and within a day traded it to a friend for his Onix SP3 tube integrated amp he wasn't using, so the rest of my vintage system will be for sale soon.

Switched things around to accommodate the tube amp for a music system and have a system for movies and tv as follows.

Movies/TV:
Hafler preamp, Harman Kardon amp, Denon universal player, Denon tuner, DCM Timeframe speakers, (Kimber, Audioquest cabling)

Audio (incomplete):
Onix tube amp, Rotel tuner, DIY SEAS speakers, (MIT, Linn, Dynamic Design cabling)
What's missing - phono preamp for Lafayette turntable, cd player

What's for sale:
Dual turntable, Altec Lansing speakers