Proceeding to a great preamp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Proceeding to a great preamp

thekid
10-06-2013, 03:53 PM
:14:

You just never know what you will find out there.....

Proceed PAV audio/video preamplifier | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/solidpreamps/897)

thekid
10-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Paired it up with my Denon POA- 2400A and MMG's

Feanor
10-09-2013, 02:35 AM
Looking good. Is it in your home theater system?

thekid
10-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Looking good. Is it in your home theater system?

Suilad Feanor

No I don't use my HT set-up that often as nice as it is.
This new preamp is in one of my two-channel set-ups. It is mated with the Denon POA-2400A as the amp and the rest of the system consists of the following Denon DMD-1000 Mini-Disc player/recorder-Denon DRM-740 Cassette deck-Denon DCM-290 CD player. Speakers are a pair of Magnepan MMG's and a Velodyne CHT-8 subwoofer

Feanor
10-11-2013, 06:35 AM
Suilad Feanor

No I don't use my HT set-up that often as nice as it is.
This new preamp is in one of my two-channel set-ups. It is mated with the Denon POA-2400A as the amp and the rest of the system consists of the following Denon DMD-1000 Mini-Disc player/recorder-Denon DRM-740 Cassette deck-Denon DCM-290 CD player. Speakers are a pair of Magnepan MMG's and a Velodyne CHT-8 subwoofer

I briefly tried an Outlaw 990 for a preamp but it was grainy so I went back to the passive I was using. The Proceed is probably a good step up from the Outlaw though.

blackraven
10-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Nice score and nice rig. My first Magnepans were the MMG's paired with a Velodyne CHT-8.

Mr Peabody
10-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Although the Proceed is A/V I'm sure it has an excellent 2-channel section. Many people overlook some of these outdated mega dollar preamps since they are A/V but most of the high end companies kept a pretty high standard for 2-channel, may not be as good as one of their same brand stand alone but would certainly be an upgrade compared to some 2-channel out there. My old Primare was one that was a good stereo preamp, I also saw a Krell HTS really cheap and they were several thousand new. The down side is learning the preamp to get it set for 2-channel.

Turn my back for one minute and The Kidd gets converted to Maggies, LOL

thekid
10-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Glad to hear from you Mr P and some other familiar faces!

I would agree with your assessment. Some of the reviews from back in the day referred to it as a baby Levinson with AV options.

The MMGs are just one of several new pieces I have picked up since I last haunted these forums. Perhaps I will post some pics of some of that gear.