Identifying songs by lyrics - fun? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Identifying songs by lyrics - fun?

Snowbunny
10-05-2013, 01:28 PM
I'm cleaning up my Itunes Library and there are a lot of songs from comps from fellow Rave-Rec'rs from the days that songs didn't come automatically tagged.

Not nearly as easy as it should be. Thanks to the rather esoteric listening habits of y'all, I haven't found a song lyric search engine that will identify every song. And then there are the instrumentals.

I would post some of the more obscure lyrics here, but based on the dwindling amount of drive-bys here in recent years, it could take forever.

So can someone rec a good lyric search engine for indie and alternative artists?

Or better yet, c'mon over for a listening session, and I'll provide the autumn brew...

Snowbunny
10-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Here's an example - Lazy Days and Castaways, washed up on the shore.

After a lot of dead ends, I think I may have identified the artist as Amy Annelle,but still can't seem to find the song. I'm thinking it might actually be Cimmaron Banks, cause that sounds familiar - but no lyrics found.

What is so interesting is that these obscure songs I'm searching are so freaking good!

Davey
10-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Here's an example - Lazy Days and Castaways, washed up on the shore.

After a lot of dead ends, I think I may have identified the artist as Amy Annelle,but still can't seem to find the song. I'm thinking it might actually be Cimmaron Banks, cause that sounds familiar - but no lyrics found.

What is so interesting is that these obscure songs I'm searching are so freaking good!

It's actually a song from a nice little record called The Autopilot Knows You Best by The Places. Which was Amy's band back in 2000, and that was their debut. Not sure they went beyond that. I was pretty big on it, and put them on a couple comps, so might be one of mine...

The Overflow - More New Music

1. R.L. Burnside - It's Bad You Know from Come On In
2. Jim White - Handcuffed to a Fence in Mississippi from No Such Place
3. Steve Fisk - Where's the Fire from 999 Levels of Undo
4. Mirwais - Naive Song from Production
5. Frank Black and the Catholics - St. Francis Dam Disaster from Dog in the Sand
6. Spoon - Lines in the Suit from Girls Can Tell
7. Eleni Mandell - Pauline from Thrill
8. Blonde Redhead - Cure from Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons
9. Pram - Play of the Waves from The Museum of Imaginary Animals
10. The Weakerthans - Everything Must Go! from Left and Leaving
11. Stephen Malkmus - Black Book from Stephen Malkmus
12. Cave In - Innuendo and Out the Other from Jupiter
13. Rachel's - The Mysterious Disappearance of Louis LePrince from Selenography
14. The Places - Lazy Days and Castaways from The Autopilot Knows You Best
15. Cul de Sac - A Voice Through A Cloud from Crashes To Light, Minutes To Its Fall
16. Silver Scooter - Goodbye from Goodbye EP

February 2001. This is a sampler of music from the last year or so with an emphasis on some of the recent releases that have overflowed my storage rack and are scattered about my listening room (except for the 1998 Burnside album). There is a wide assortment of styles ranging from blues-techno to folk-rock-Americana-techno to French dance pop to straight classic rock to lounge rock to experimental jazz rock to emo-core indie rock to classic indie rock to metallic prog to neoclassical to post rock to indie pop. The sequencing is similar to what one might hear on a radio station as most of the songs are seamlessly blended and cross-faded meaning you may hear a song continue to fade out after the next one begins.

And there was another one in my old comp page that I'm pretty sure was just for you ....

Never Quite What It Seems

1. The Lost Dogs - Lovely Man
2. Neko Case - Porchlight
3. Sam Phillips - The Fan Dance
4. Mary Coughlan - Sunburn
5. The Places (Amy Annelle) - Will Try
6. Rollyn Zoubek - Perspective
7. Joni Mitchell - California
8. Sally Timms - When The Roses Bloom Again
9. Over The Rhine (Karin Bergquist) - Never Quite What It Seems
10. Cat Power (Chan Marshall) - Moonshiner
11. S.F. Seals (Barbara Manning) - Ipecac
12. Sleater-Kinney (Corin & Carrie) - The Size Of Our Love
13. Emmylou Harris - Love Hurts
14. Edith Frost - Easy To Love
15. Hector Zazou (Barbara Gogan) - Lines
16. Dot Allison - Hex
17. Patti Smith - About A Boy
18. Bill Mallonee - She's So Liquid

September 2002. This was just a one-off comp I made with a bunch of very cool ladies (singer in parenthesis) sandwiched between the opening and closing songs by men. I didn't keep a copy so it is now OOP :-)

And looks like she first led off my best of 2000 comp ...

Davey's Best of 2000

1. The Places - Mouth to Mouth from The Autopilot Knows You Best
2. Badly Drawn Boy - The Shining from The Hour of Bewilderbeast
3. Califone - St. Martha Let It Fold from Califone EP (Road Cone)
4. P.J. Harvey - One Line from Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea
5. Pram - Play of the Waves from The Museum of Imaginary Animals
6. The Black Heart Procession - A Heart Like Mine from Three
7. Modest Mouse - Lives from The Moon & Antarctica
8. The Handsome Family - So Much Wine from Into the Air
9. Ryan Adams - Come Pick Me Up from Heartbreaker
10. Enon - Come Into from Believo!
11. The Dandy Warhols - Bohemian Like You from Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia
12. Sleater-Kinney - Was It A Lie? from All Hands On The Bad One
13. Laika - Widows' Weed from Good Looking Blues
14. Blonde Redhead - Hated Because of Great Qualities from Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons
15. Eleventh Dream Day - Stalled Parade from Stalled Parade
16. Grandaddy - Jed The Humanoid from The Sophtware Slump
17. Sigur Rós - Ný Batterí (New Battery) from Ágćtis Byrjun

December 2000. This represents many of my top 20 albums in the beginning of December time frame (minus a few favorites like Radiohead, Yo La Tengo and Godspeed You Black Emperor which wouldn't fit). My choices would likely be a little different today but I still like all of these.

Snowbunny
10-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Hey Davey,

Where'd you come from? :)

Thank you - that's going to be very helpful! Rather have a visit, but whatcha gonna do? :wink5:

Snowie

Davey
10-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Rather have a visit, but whatcha gonna do?

What's the autumn brew nowadays? Mine is Mirror Pond Pale Ale today, along with some Candy-O by the Cars.

Edit: Goes well with You Are Free by Cat Power too. And I'm anticipating that it may also go pretty well with The Blue Moods of Spain after that.

Snowbunny
10-05-2013, 03:34 PM
What's the autumn brew nowadays? Mine is Mirror Pond Pale Ale today, along with some Candy-O by the Cars.

Just a boring white wine right now. Needed some to add to the spicy carbonara sauce that's bubbling on the stove, to the man-size wails of PJ - Dry.

But...if you remember I'm not a fan of the really hearty seasonal beers. I will try them at the local pub when they have the sample 6 pack tastings of microbrews.

I always end up with Alexander Keiths - IPA in a frosted glass. Not very exotic, but then again, it might be outside of Canada.

Snowbunny
10-05-2013, 04:08 PM
I really like that Zee Avi's eponymous album! She has a laid-back singer-songwriter groove with a beautiful voice and interesting lyrics.

The lyrics to some of her songs will likely prevent her from going mainstream. Poppy is a beautiful song but it probably has the most disturbing lyrics on the album:

My baby he don't act like himself no more
He lost that smile I used to adore
He spent his nights slapping his veins
He lost that glow he used to have in his face
Empty burned bottle on the carpet
My baby lying beside it
Tin foil and melted sugar everywhere

Its in my car player on repeat -

HoneyBee, I am a honey bee
Shunned off from the colony
And they won't let me in
So I left the hive
They took away all my stripes
And broke off both my wings
So I'll find another tree
And make the wind my friend
I'll just sing with the birds
They'll tell me secrets of the world

But my other honey bee
Stuck where he doesn't wanna be
Oh my darling honey bee
I'll come save you
Even if it means I'll have to face the queen

Also enjoying an album rec'd by a work-mate - Monsters of Folk.

Davey
10-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Just a boring white wine right now. Needed some to add to the spicy carbonara sauce that's bubbling on the stove, to the man-size wails of PJ - Dry.

But...if you remember I'm not a fan of the really hearty seasonal beers. I will try them at the local pub when they have the sample 6 pack tastings of microbrews.

I always end up with Alexander Keiths - IPA in a frosted glass. Not very exotic, but then again, it might be outside of Canada.

Yea, I know, I pretty much always stay away from the fruity seasonal brews, steady diet of Pale Ales throughout the year for me, the more traditional the better. But yea, something common for you like Alexander Keiths would be kind of exotic down here, or maybe more pricey than exotic, I'm sure it can be found. After all, this is America, and we have everything you could ever desire! Well, except maybe a functional government.

Have you heard Innocence is Kinky by Jenny Hval? She's a Norwegian singer/songwriter that kind of reminds me a bit of Laurie Anderson, but maybe more Kate Bush, and a bit more provocative in subject matter. But produced on this one by long time PJ Harvey friend/collaborator John Parish, so more like Is This Desire? than Dry, so that's the connection to your white wine carbonara :skep:

Jenny Hval: Ethereal And Provocative Art Pop - Soundcheck (http://soundcheck.wnyc.org/story/jenny-hval-in-studio/?utm_source=showpage&utm_media=treatment&utm_campaign=featured&utm_content=item0)

Snowbunny
10-05-2013, 04:36 PM
But yea, something common for you like Alexander Keiths would be kind of exotic down here, or maybe more pricey than exotic, I'm sure it can be found.

If I remember correctly, that's what we were drinking in that photo at that Granville Island pub patio.

Have you heard Innocence is Kinky by Jenny Hval?

No, she's new to me. Unfortunately, I find her voice a little irritating.

so more like Is This Desire? than Dry, so that's the connection to your white wine carbonara :skep: :skep:

Really interesting story on Soundcheck, though!

Ex Lion Tamer
10-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Nothing to contribute to this thread, except a picture of my favorite beer.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEeK2kX4c-Ltm1UHoSEmCsSBWyegzXBXiSbcY49Lspve4H68OcLEBSnmg

Snowbunny
10-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Nothing to contribute to this thread, except a picture of my favorite beer.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEeK2kX4c-Ltm1UHoSEmCsSBWyegzXBXiSbcY49Lspve4H68OcLEBSnmg
And your sparkling personality!

You know my philosophy, the more the merrier. And when you bring beer - what can I say!

I try and show up here now and again, cause I would be so sad if one day I tried to post and the board was no longer here. :frown2:

Snowbuns

Swish
10-08-2013, 03:58 AM

I had some of that beer last time I was in Canada. Have to say the IPA was unimpressive, at least compared to the IPAs I drink in the states. Not bad, mind you, but nothing I would order ahead of my standards like Stone and Troegs Perpetual.

I also recall they pronounce it 'Keets' and not Keiths with the 'th' sound. You Canadians are an odd bunch. :lol:

Snowbunny
10-08-2013, 10:19 AM
I had some of that beer last time I was in Canada. Have to say the IPA was unimpressive, at least compared to the IPAs I drink in the states.

What are you, one of those guys that prefers quality over quantity? :smile5:

As much as I like the taste of those microbrewery beers, if I'm gonna ingest the calories, I better be getting a buzz. :3:[/QUOTE]

I also recall they pronounce it 'Keets' and not Keiths with the 'th' sound. You Canadians are an odd bunch. :lol:

They're not supposed to tell you that! It ruins the fun for the next guy.

Snowie

Swish
10-08-2013, 01:50 PM
What are you, one of those guys that prefers quality over quantity? :smile5:

As much as I like the taste of those microbrewery beers, if I'm gonna ingest the calories, I better be getting a buzz. :3:

They're not supposed to tell you that! It ruins the fun for the next guy.

Snowie[/QUOTE]

I actually prefer quality and quantity, much to my detriment. Most of the IPAs I prefer are 6.5% ABV and up...mostly up...and drinking a six-pack is going to be a problem, at least within a few hours time.

Snowbunny
10-09-2013, 11:07 AM
We had a local beer here that was called Champagne something, and it had 12% ABV! It was packaged like a split of champagne. Not sure if its still available, and I never did get a chance to sample.

Snowbunny
10-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Where did Davey go?

I thought you posted earlier about Beth Orton's - Sugaring Season, but I can't find anything in a search.

I've been sampling it online and so far it is classic Beth and worth buying, but I see there is an import available, for a lot more money, and I'm wondering if the extra songs make it worth the price.

This is one of my pet peeves about buying music! Treat your fans fairly and release all the songs on general release.

Swish
10-11-2013, 03:58 AM
We had a local beer here that was called Champagne something, and it had 12% ABV! It was packaged like a split of champagne. Not sure if its still available, and I never did get a chance to sample.

I'm don't like this one, but local brewer Troegs has Mad Elf that's around 12% and Dogfish Head (don't laugh...they are quite big in the states) has a 120 Minute IPA that is 18% ABV. I had one bottle and won't drink it again. Just too hoppy and too strong. 120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery - Milton, DE - BeerAdvocate (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10099/9086)

ForeverAutumn
10-11-2013, 05:00 AM

That goes back to it's Nova Scotian roots and the Atlantic Canada accents. If you pronounce the TH in Atlantic Canada, you will be corrected. But from what I can tell, most of the rest of the country pronounces the TH. Hubby and I were first introduced to this beer in Nova Scotia and are still conditioned to say Keets.

Snowbunny
10-11-2013, 11:06 PM
That goes back to it's Nova Scotian roots and the Atlantic Canada accents. If you pronounce the TH in Atlantic Canada, you will be corrected. But from what I can tell, most of the rest of the country pronounces the TH. Hubby and I were first introduced to this beer in Nova Scotia and are still conditioned to say Keets.

Yeah, us West Coasters say Keets, too. Its a Canadian thing.

Hey, E - I was just thinking about you. I caught about 10 minutes of a Bowie special called "Five Years" on MC tonight.

Have you seen/heard of it? It appears to cover the 5 years after he released Let's Dance, and became a fixture on MTV.

The thing that struck me was the way they referred to him as a bit of a small-market, independent act before he recreated himself on tv.

Me and all of my friends listened to and owned his albums and in no way would I have thought of him as a small-market artist.

Thoughts?

Snow

ForeverAutumn
10-12-2013, 05:10 AM
Yeah, us West Coasters say Keets, too. Its a Canadian thing.
I didn't realize that the pronouniation of Keets made it out West. I don't know why, but that makes me happy.

Hey, E - I was just thinking about you. I caught about 10 minutes of a Bowie special called "Five Years" on MC tonight...

Well, considering that Heroes, Low, and Lodger were all top 5 albums in the UK, calling him "small-market" is ridiculous and short-sighted IMO. Maybe calling him a niche-artist might have been a more appropriate word given that, in spite of his popularity, he didn't really fit into a broad category from what I know of that time. He made his own rules.

Having said that, I don't think that he recieved true worldwide commercial success until Let's Dance. It was more mainstream and MTV picked it up and played it like crazy. It definately had wider appeal, so if limited appeal is what was meant by small-market, then maybe they have a point.

Who created the show you watched, I wonder. North Americans or Europeans? I think that might affect the point of view.

I haven't seen that show, I'll have to look for it. It sounds interesting.

I had the opportunity to see the David Bowie Is exhibit that is currently showing at the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO). I wrote a long review here but when I went to post it the ****ing site crashed and I lost it. I'll have to rewrite it on Word and post it here when I have time.

Snowbunny
10-30-2013, 07:55 PM
I had the opportunity to see the David Bowie Is exhibit that is currently showing at the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO). I wrote a long review here but when I went to post it the ****ing site crashed and I lost it. I'll have to rewrite it on Word and post it here when I have time.

Geez, I missed this edit, FA. I saw the exhibit reviewed on some newcast. So jealous! I'd love to see it.

The HBO documentary was produced by the BBC. They covered 5 (significant) Years in his career, rather than 4 consecutive years.

Who didn't identify with this guy in the '70s? There were more than a handful of guys with the "Bowie" haircut at the high school dances.

http://www.houseofexposure.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/davidbowie.jpg