HDTV-Ready..Do I need HDTV-Tuner [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDTV-Ready..Do I need HDTV-Tuner

day_walker
04-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Hola amiga's

Next week, me and the fiance are moving....Planning on getting HDTV cable with my subscription...

Do I need a HDTV-Tuner/Receiver? Or, do I only need the HDTV-Cable box?

I am a little confused....Help!! Please

Monstrous Mike
04-22-2004, 09:37 AM
Hola amiga's

Next week, me and the fiance are moving....Planning on getting HDTV cable with my subscription...

Do I need a HDTV-Tuner/Receiver? Or, do I only need the HDTV-Cable box?

I am a little confused....Help!! Please
To get HDTV you definitely need an HDTV tuner. If you go the cable TV route then it is likely your cable company will rent you an HDTV cable box. This box will have an HDTV tuner in it. You may also be able to buy an HDTV cable box but make sure it is compatible with your cable company.

Most HDTV televisions that are for sale do not have HDTV tuners in them. And this is for a good reason since I believe different satellites and cable companies use different tuners so you don't want to be stuck with a built-in one that is incompatible.

day_walker
04-22-2004, 09:58 AM
thanks mike for the clarification....thats what I thought..

just to let you know how this started, I called my cable provider today and wanted to talk about the fees associated in the package.. When I asked abou the HDTV programming, lenny(sales associate) asked me what type of TV i had, I stated that I had the HDTV-Ready rear projection set.. He then told me that I need a seprate tuner that they do not offer..

But, they do..It states right on there site:
"To get started, you will need a high-definition cable box from Cablevision to connect to your high-definition TV set."

I then called back and recived a differnt sales person and asked the same question, he then said that all I need is the high-definition cable box from Cablevision..Man, two different answers from the same company...jeese..

Thanks Mike, I apprecaite you insight...