Can someone explain Kanye West to me? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain Kanye West to me?

Snowbunny
10-05-2013, 10:52 AM
I heard him singing for the first time in that girl's "I Quit" video.

He doesn't really sound musical and not really like I expect a rapper to sound. Not hip-hop, not pop, not rock and roll.

I've heard he's had some serious critical acclaim, and he was famous even before he hooked up with a Khardashian, so what am I missing?

Genius, or undeserved hype? Any comments?

Snowbunny

Finch Platte
10-05-2013, 01:06 PM
You're asking the wrong guy.

Snowbunny
10-05-2013, 01:55 PM
And probably the wrong community, on the whole. But thanks for playing. :biggrin5:

3LB
10-07-2013, 06:21 AM
I think he may have been a producer/performer of note within certain circles, but most all hiphop/top-40 performers elude me as to their popularity and acclaim. Kanye, Pee Doody, Jay Z, not to mention a host of auto-tuned, tire sniffin poptarts like Katy Perry and Kesha.

The only thing Jay Z has done that I really like is Beyonce.

Hyfi
10-07-2013, 07:09 AM
I think he may have been a producer/performer of note within certain circles, but most all hiphop/top-40 performers elude me as to their popularity and acclaim. Kanye, Pee Doody, Jay Z, not to mention a host of auto-tuned, tire sniffin poptarts like Katy Perry and Kesha.

Kesha - what a tool. They had her on one of the new years shows 2 years ago and when asked what her New Years Resolution was, her answer was "To not be a Douche Bag". I guess that was self admittance that she already was one.

As for Kanye, I thought he started out doing Religious Rap, but just couldn't hold a candle to Matisyahu. When he performed at the Sandy Relief concert in his little leather skirt, I could not understand a word he said nor could I figure out why they even let his lousy act in the show at all.

And Finch, You are the right guy!

MasterCylinder
10-07-2013, 10:42 AM
As a musician, he is lost on me.........I don't get it.
As a person, he appears to be a narcissistic a$$hole.
Probably due to deep-seated insecurities.

harley .guy07
10-07-2013, 11:59 AM
the overwhelming thought of most people that know anything about him think he is a d-bag and wish that he would just go away and get out of the music business because all he really does is talk a lot of s$%^ and embarrass himself on national tv about once a year. I also don't see talent when you have to use a computer program to fix your vocal tone and to get your voice on the right note.

Snowbunny
10-07-2013, 06:07 PM

Hehehe... good one! I see his music described as rap, and it really doesn't sound like any rap I know.

Snowie

Snowbunny
10-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Kesha - what a tool. They had her on one of the new years shows 2 years ago and when asked what her New Years Resolution was, her answer was "To not be a Douche Bag". I guess that was self admittance that she already was one.

And Finch, You are the right guy!

I saw that! Had no idea who she was and thought it was really sad.

Snowbunny
10-07-2013, 06:11 PM
As a musician, he is lost on me.........I don't get it.
As a person, he appears to be a narcissistic a$$hole.
Probably due to deep-seated insecurities.

Serves him right that he will now only be remembered as a footnote to the Khardashian tragedy.

Snowbunny
10-07-2013, 06:13 PM
the overwhelming thought of most people that know anything about him think he is a d-bag and wish that he would just go away and get out of the music business because all he really does is talk a lot of s$%^ and embarrass himself on national tv about once a year. I also don't see talent when you have to use a computer program to fix your vocal tone and to get your voice on the right note.

Hi Harley,

He seems to think that being weird makes him an artiste.

And his whole obsession with fashion makes no sense to me, at all!

Snow

Swish
10-08-2013, 03:53 AM
I heard him singing for the first time in that girl's "I Quit" video.

He doesn't really sound musical and not really like I expect a rapper to sound. Not hip-hop, not pop, not rock and roll.

I've heard he's had some serious critical acclaim, and he was famous even before he hooked up with a Khardashian, so what am I missing?

Genius, or undeserved hype? Any comments?

Snowbunny

Nope. Don't care for rap/hip-hop, so I don't care for Kanye. Saw him on Palladia (it's a high-def music channel that features live shows...for anyone who didn't know) and he was unimpressive. It was a performance in the UK somewhere.

Good to see you coming to RR semi-regularly, although this place has been akin to a morgue of late.

Snowbunny
10-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Palladia (it's a high-def music channel that features live shows...for anyone who don't know)

Didn't know - seems I'm always late to the party. (I also had to read the quote in your sig line more than once, before I "got" it.) :o

Good to see you coming to RR semi-regularly, although this place has been akin to a morgue of late.

Thanks, Swishy! In this day and age, with the amount of social media we have access to, I don't think it would be possible to create the bonds that we created here on Rave Recs.

There's still a handful of folks who have stopped posting here, that I still think of, and wish would post again. But I do understand that posting here requires more time and knowledge than a 140 character tweet.

But I'm glad you're still here...

Swish
10-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Didn't know - seems I'm always late to the party. (I also had to read the quote in your sig line more than once, before I "got" it.) :o

Thanks, Swishy! In this day and age, with the amount of social media we have access to, I don't think it would be possible to create the bonds that we created here on Rave Recs.

But I'm glad you're still here...

I agree and thanks for that last line. As I've mentioned before, I've had the pleasure of meeting 7 (if I remember correctly) Rave Rec-ers in person. J in NYC, Forever Autumn (Fall Girl), John Michael and Bobsticks in Chi-town, DLD in NOLA, and Audio Bill and Barry L in Toronto (along with the aforementioned Fall Girl). Aside from that, I've met the spouses of F.A., DLD and Audio Bill, and all remain friends to this day.

We even visited Audio Bill in Europe this past summer and it's really funny when people ask how we know them (and the others). Saying 'we met on the internet' is kind of awkward, know what I mean?

bfalls
10-09-2013, 06:36 AM
Serves him right that he will now only be remembered as a footnote to the Khardashian tragedy.

I consider it more of a Khardashian Lethargy.

Snowbunny
10-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Saying 'we met on the internet' is kind of awkward, know what I mean?

Heheh... for sure back in "the day" it was a little odd to meet friends from the internet. But the gang in this forum was unique in that they felt safe enough to be "real" with each other.

Snowbunny
10-09-2013, 11:04 AM
I consider it more of a Khardashian Lethargy.

Haha! You know what I find sad? I kind of like Kim, but I feel like Kanye is stealing her joy, at a time when she should be so happy.

And then I remember that she's a millionaire who has never had to "work" a day in her life and suddenly I don't feel sad for her at all. :rolleyes:

Swish
10-11-2013, 06:23 AM
Haha! You know what I find sad? I kind of like Kim, but I feel like Kanye is stealing her joy, at a time when she should be so happy.

And then I remember that she's a millionaire who has never had to "work" a day in her life and suddenly I don't feel sad for her at all. :rolleyes:

I just saw an article of the interweb that claims Kanye thinks Kim should have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. OMG you can't make up this crap! She'd be the biggest no-talent ever to have a star. It would nearly as amusing as Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/513150/20131011/kim-kardashian-kanye-west-flaunts-tummy-kardashina.htm#.UlgJmxC6fig

MasterCylinder
10-11-2013, 06:34 AM
I just saw an article of the interweb that claims Kanye thinks Kim should have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. OMG you can't make up this crap! She'd be the biggest no-talent ever to have a star. It would nearly as amusing as Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize.

Since when is a D-cup and false eyelashes not considered talent ?

TheHills44060
10-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Never heard any of his music before so I have no idea. I only knew that he was going out with one of the Khardashian's. He's definitely one of the most unattractive guys she's been with in a while.

Snowbunny
10-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Since when is a D-cup and false eyelashes not considered talent ?

Psst...MC-is that as in "the girl in pole position #3 has real talent?" :ihih:

Snowbunny
10-11-2013, 10:53 PM
OMG Swish! Two words - Kanye + Kimmel... did you see the interview?

Snowbunny
10-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Never heard any of his music before so I have no idea. I only knew that he was going out with one of the Khardashian's. He's definitely one of the most unattractive guys she's been with in a while.

Hi Hills - it seems like all those Khardashian women seem to pick men who need to be rescued. Who would have thought that Scott would end up being the pick of the bunch!

Snowie

Swish
10-21-2013, 05:54 AM
OMG Swish! Two words - Kanye + Kimmel... did you see the interview?

No, but I heard about it.

MasterCylinder
10-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Psst...MC-is that as in "the girl in pole position #3 has real talent?" :ihih:

Snowie :

You give KK way too much credit.............

TheHills44060
10-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Hi Hills - ...Who would have thought that Scott would end up being the pick of the bunch!

Snowie
Hahahaha no kidding!!!! Good one Snowie.