Over-Nite Sensation [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Over-Nite Sensation

MasterCylinder
10-04-2013, 03:55 AM
Any Zappa fans here ?
I bought a remastered version of this CD the other day and I still think it is very well done.
Silliness aside, some excellent musicianship reflected therein.
The guitar solo in MONTANA is one of Frank's best.............

dean_martin
10-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Any Zappa fans here ?
I bought a remastered version of this CD the other day and I still think it is very well done.
Silliness aside, some excellent musicianship reflected therein.
The guitar solo in MONTANA is one of Frank's best.............

When I need a little more than music, I put on Joe's Garage, but my Zappa collection is wanting.

Jack in Wilmington
10-04-2013, 10:06 AM
I was just listening to Apostrophe this afternoon. Some good guitar riffs on there also like in the title track along with some nice bass work by Jack Bruce.

Snowbunny
10-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Hi MC,

Another artist that I just never "got". Can you suggest just one song that you think illustrates his style and I'll listen with open ears?

Snowie

Finch Platte
10-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Not a Zappy affishy-ionado, but I always enjoyed his playing (and production) of Grand Funk's Good Singing, Good Playing. Good effing rock 'n' roll.

Snowbunny
10-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Not a Zappy affishy-ionado, but I always enjoyed his playing (and production) of Grand Funk's Good Singing, Good Playing. Good effing rock 'n' roll.

Hello Finchie,

Thanks - Now I'm actually more interested in listening to the Grand Funk version. Stirs some long forgotten memories...:yesnod:

Snowbuns

Swish
10-24-2013, 03:19 AM
Hi MC,

Another artist that I just never "got". Can you suggest just one song that you think illustrates his style and I'll listen with open ears?

Snowie

You're probably better off staying clear of Zappa. I got a kick out of some of his stuff, but I have no desire to revisit his catalog. Ever. Just not that interesting.

I'm not saying he never did anything worth listening to, but knowing your taste in music, I doubt you'd find much to like. We can all chuckle when listening to 'Bobby Brown', but...

MasterCylinder
10-24-2013, 04:25 AM
Hi MC,

Snowie

Hi Snowbuns............try this link :

Frank Zappa - Cosmik Debris, Live In Sweden 1973 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0BUvpbcGA4)

This line-up shows Ralph Humphrey, Ian Underwood, Ruth Underwood, the Fowler brothers and George Duke.........oh yes, and Jean Luc-Ponty too.

MasterCylinder
10-24-2013, 04:40 AM
You're probably better off staying clear of Zappa. I got a kick out of some of his stuff, but I have no desire to revisit his catalog. Ever. Just not that interesting.

A unique blend of politics, comedy, and superior orchestral composition is never interesting.............right.

Finch Platte
10-24-2013, 12:44 PM
A unique blend of politics, comedy, and superior orchestral composition is never interesting.............right.

Wow. What an absolutely asinine thing to say. Like Zappa was the perfect entertainer for everyone on the planet.

Please go out and buy yourself a grip.

Jack in Wilmington
10-24-2013, 01:14 PM
Wow. What an absolutely asinine thing to say. Like Zappa was the perfect entertainer for everyone on the planet.

I don't know..........I think MC was well within his right to say that off of Swish's comment. We all know Swish's musical tastes are not the mainstream.

Finch Platte
10-24-2013, 03:53 PM
I don't know..........I think MC was well within his right to say that off of Swish's comment. We all know Swish's musical tastes are not the mainstream.

I just got a snarky feeling from MC's post. If that wasn't the case and I was way off base, I apologize to Mr. MC!

Hyfi
10-24-2013, 05:10 PM
I saw Zappa the Sunday after he was on Saturday Night Live doing the Conehead skit. The whole band came out with Coneheads onto a stage so full of gear they had just enough room to play. One of the best shows of my youth!

Swish
10-25-2013, 02:54 AM

Keep it in context, friend. I was talking to Snowbuns and, knowing her musical tastes aren't too far removed from mine, was telling her that I doubt she would find much to like with Zappa. I stand by my comments.

MasterCylinder
10-25-2013, 04:51 AM
What an absolutely asinine thing to say.

OMG -- I am so slow !
After all these years, I just now realized that Finch Platte and Yech is the same guy !

Jack in Wilmington
10-25-2013, 05:08 AM
Keep it in context, friend. I was talking to Snowbuns and, knowing her musical tastes aren't too far removed from mine, was telling her that I doubt she would find much to like with Zappa. I stand by my comments.

Agreed. You know her tastes better than I do, that's for sure.

Finch Platte
10-25-2013, 05:46 AM
OMG -- I am so slow !
After all these years, I just now realized that Finch Platte and Yech is the same guy !

Apology retracted. :p

MasterCylinder
10-25-2013, 06:05 AM
Apology retracted. :p

Not a problem, FP.
It was conditional and insincere in the first place.
And for the record, Grand Funk's first three albums were pretty cool.
After 1970, the band quickly evolved into commercialized dog poop.

3LB
10-25-2013, 06:39 AM
I'm a fan of Zappa the composer, Zappa the visionary, but I only need to listen to an album like Sheik Yerbouti or You Are What You Is once through ever. I have culled together several of his instrumental pieces and think they stand up to the best fusion ever made. But that juvenile humor, his kitchen sink approach to production and arrogant persona made him inaccessible to a lot of people. I understand Zappa put out those novelty albums to pay bills but... even if you can get past the Mad Magazine humor, a lot of his 'songs' are over-produced as hell. After spending time with a friend's Zappa collection to weed out the wheat from the chaff, I never developed a fondness for the majority of it, just the instrumental, fusiony goodness.

So yeah, Swish isn't just being his usual hipster self, he's being right about his "neverminding" to Snowbunny.

MasterCylinder
10-25-2013, 06:58 AM
I'm a fan of Zappa the composer, Zappa the visionary, but I only need to listen to an album like Sheik Yerbouti or You Are What You Is once through ever. I have culled together several of his instrumental pieces and think they stand up to the best fusion ever made. But that juvenile humor, his kitchen sink approach to production and arrogant persona made him inaccessible to a lot of people. I understand Zappa put out those novelty albums to pay bills but... even if you can get past the Mad Magazine humor, a lot of his 'songs' are over-produced as hell. After spending time with a friend's Zappa collection to weed out the wheat from the chaff, I never developed a fondness for the majority of it, just the instrumental, fusiony goodness.

So yeah, Swish isn't just being his usual hipster self, he's being right about his "neverminding" to Snowbunny.

No arguments...............you or Swish.............you have to weed through it.
There is a live album, however, without the heavy production called THE BEST BAND YOU NEVER HEARD IN YOUR LIFE that displays some real technicians on musical instruments..........especially Chad Wackerman (isn't that a great name for a drummer) and Mike Keneally. A few throw-aways on this album also, but mostly incredible stuff.

3LB
10-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Mike Keneally is actually a pretty accessible guy, posting quite often over at PE

BarryL
10-31-2013, 09:28 AM
One Size Fits All - very interesting indeed. Still my fav FZ album.

ForeverAutumn
10-31-2013, 10:02 AM
Not a problem, FP.
It was conditional and insincere in the first place.

This made me laugh!

I've never been a Zappa fan. Hubby is, but he's not allowed to play Zappa while I'm home. :)

I can appreciate the great musicianship, but great musicianship doesn't always equate to enjoyable music...at least not for me.