Accuphase P-300 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Accuphase P-300

kot2b
10-01-2013, 11:02 AM
I bought an Accuphase P-300 in the early 70's. I put it away in good working order about ten years ago and stored in a nice dry heated room. I recently have tried to use the amp and I do not have power coming out of one channel. For some reason I think it may be the capacitor. Nothing looks or smells burnt. I tried to reseach who to sent it to and only came up with Yama's Enterprises Inc with Accutech being the peole to get in touch with. I sent them and E-mail, which bounced back and have called and only get an anwering machine and they haven't returned my call. Are they still in business or do you know of somebody else that can fix my amp?
Looking forward to what you have to say.
Regards
Dave

Feanor
10-01-2013, 12:15 PM
I bought an Accuphase P-300 in the early 70's. I put it away in good working order about ten years ago and stored in a nice dry heated room. I recently have tried to use the amp and I do not have power coming out of one channel. For some reason I think it may be the capacitor. Nothing looks or smells burnt. I tried to reseach who to sent it to and only came up with Yama's Enterprises Inc with Accutech being the peole to get in touch with. I sent them and E-mail, which bounced back and have called and only get an anwering machine and they haven't returned my call. Are they still in business or do you know of somebody else that can fix my amp?
Looking forward to what you have to say.
Regards
Dave

The Accuphase P-300 is a classic amp with a high reputation in its time. I almost bought one in 1979 but instead got a Phase Linear 400 -- I wish I'd got the Accuphase. All Accuphase equipment is beautifully made.

According to Accuphase, (see HERE (http://accuphase.com/index.html)), you ought to contact their distributor for support: in North American that's AXISS Audio, (see HERE (http://www.axissaudio.com/index.htm)). Whether they do repairs on old equipment isn't certain, but they can likely refer you to a component repairer.

kot2b
10-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Feanor,
Thanks for getting back to me. I got in touch with AXISS Audio today and they told me to get in touch with Accutech Services as they do not do repairs. So....I am still waiting for Accutech to call me back. How can something be so hard?
Dave

Glen B
10-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Visit the Vintage Solid State section at AudioKarma Forum, where the primary focus is on vintage electronics. There are a number of very competent technicians that frequent the site. You may also get recommendations of repair shops from other members there.

AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin (http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?)

twc644
10-12-2013, 06:41 AM
It seems like the transistors for that one channel have failed.Upon looking inside do you see anything at all burnt under close inspection. Any burnt or corroded legs on bypass capacitors or resistors ? Any capacitors bulging or leaking ? Does the circuit board have any brown spots where resistors are located ?

I hope you can find someone to repair it for you.It's probably around 40 years old so failure of a component is increased dramatically.If you can find someone to repair it I would also highly recommend a full recap of the amp.This can become expensive depending on the level of repair.

On the other hand,I have read in the past those that do own this particular amp restored are astounded as to the sound it produces.You could shoot some De-Oxit inside the left and right channel potentiometers and turn them back and forth many times to see if that does anything in case of oxidation buildup on the contacts. Good luck and hope you can get it repaired.