I found some Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands, what do you think? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I found some Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands, what do you think?

kevinc666
09-29-2013, 06:37 AM
A friend of mine owns a pawn shop and has a pair of these in piano black near mint condition. He said he would let them go to me for 500 out the door, thoughts? I know they retailed for about $2700 and I hear good things about this company and these speakers but was wondering if anyone on this forum have any experience with them?

not actual image but look just like this

harley .guy07
09-29-2013, 12:05 PM
I have no experience with them but what I would do is try to hook them up and see if you like their sound. That would be the ultimate deciding factor on if they are the right speaker for you and if the price is worth it. I see there is a set of Ebay that the person is selling for 699 for each speaker so $500 seems like a good price but if you don't like their sound then it would not be worth it.

kevinc666
09-29-2013, 02:16 PM
The problem is the shop in not at all optimum conditions. I imagine I will get them and see what happens, If I don't like them I can probably get my money back out of them.

blackraven
09-29-2013, 04:20 PM
I don't think that you will disappointed. I have liked all of the VA speakers that I have heard. And they will the best sounding $500pr speakers out there, its a no brainer.

Enjoy!

Jack in Wilmington
09-29-2013, 04:30 PM
What electronics will you be feeding the VA's with? They're not the most difficult speakers to drive, but they do appreciate nice power.

kevinc666
10-01-2013, 04:18 AM
I am powering them with a Rotel 990BX so about 320 watts RMS into their 4 ohm load. Plenty on clean power. I picked them up yesterday and so far I am flabbergasted, a pair of $3400-$3600 speakers for $500. these will be keepers and the sound is breathtaking. I have heard from some these were bright but I have noticed quite the opposite, just a great balanced neutral speaker that produces lifelike sound effortlessly. I will post a more detailed review latter, I also have some Sony ES SS-M7 speakers I just got that I am EXTREMELY impressed with and will give a review on those as well.
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee476/zarrdoss/DSC02493_zpsc9b0f04d.jpg (http://s1229.photobucket.com/user/zarrdoss/media/DSC02493_zpsc9b0f04d.jpg.html)
The Sony
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee476/zarrdoss/DSC02340_zpsa63191f2.jpg (http://s1229.photobucket.com/user/zarrdoss/media/DSC02340_zpsa63191f2.jpg.html)

Jack in Wilmington
10-01-2013, 04:27 AM
Very nice Kevin. We'll be looking forward to your impressions of both speakers and how they compare.

TheHills44060
10-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Oh my gosh I've always wanted to hear those Sony's. I still have the issue of Stereophile where they were reviewed. Very niiiiiiice kevin

mjtab
10-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Vienna Acoustics speakers are very musical and involving. Don't give up on them to soon, but take your time trying different amps to find what you like. These speakers are worth the investment of time.

kevinc666
10-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Oh my gosh I've always wanted to hear those Sony's. I still have the issue of Stereophile where they were reviewed. Very niiiiiiice kevin

Thanks, I would love to read that, is there any way you can scan it and send it to me? I looked for it online with no success.

mjtab, no I wont be getting rid of either speaker anytime soon, I have come to the conclusion that the Sony do sound just a tad better but the Viennas still take your breath away.

kevinc666
10-12-2013, 04:44 PM
After hours of critical listening and relentless comparison between the two I am ready to give my short reviews.
The Sony are some of the most detailed and accurate speakers I have ever heard, They're quick and the dynamics are great. There are details I hear in music I simply have not heard before. On Alice in Chains Unplugged (one of my reference CD’s) I can hear some stray fret buzzing on the guitar, I have never heard it before and it comes through so clearly on these, I can even hear mumbling conversation between band members during intros to songs. And just about everything I listen to its the same thing, just minor details other speakers left out. Sound stage is huge and accurate, you can pinpoint every instrument on stage they simply disappear when you start listening. Mids and highs just simply shine, bass response is good, tight, punchy, it just does not go all the way to the bottom but hey that's what subs are for.
The only minor drawback is when listening to these at high volume the mids can get a bit fatiguing on some passages, I have read some other reviews where the same thing was observed, even on the M9’s. I might try and see if there is a fix for this in the future but really not a big deal, their attention to detail and accuracy more than make up for it and I don't really listen that loudly anymore.
The Viennas are also a great speaker that not much escapes getting reproduced with up most accuracy. These don't have the same details as the Sony but superb nonetheless. The sound stage is wide and full. These are just an easy to listen to speaker with no fatigue. These are also a very transparent speaker as well, they too also just disappear. Highs are shimmering mids are full and since I am a drummer the snare sound particularly excellent, Every ghost note and every subtle ride cymbal tap hi hat sizzle comes through accurately and completely just like they were right there. Vocals sound natural and come through clearly. bass response on these are great as well, surprising considering their size, tight, responsive, natural and a touch more substantial than the Sonys. As with the Sonys though, they sound better with a sub. The only drawback on these are that some albums are mildly laid back in the mids. I am guessing that's why they made the ES line as I hear they addressed this issue. It does not really bother me and they sound fantastic.
Both of these are excellent speakers and I enjoy listening to both immensely. Both are fussy about set up but not really too bad. In the end I have to give it to the Sonys just for details I don't hear on the Viennas, and that's about it, they are different but both have their own unique magic and I can highly recommend either to any serious music fanatics.

harley .guy07
10-13-2013, 10:42 AM
I got to see those Sony's one time in passing at someones home but was not able to hear them, they do look pretty cool though and seem to be built well. I don't know who makes their drivers for that speaker but their newest ES speaker use mostly Scan-Speak drivers I believe and they receive very good reviews. It is kind of odd how companies like Yamaha and Sony which make mostly mid-fi products will every once in a while come out with a out of this world speaker. It makes me wonder why they can do that but can't seem to make preamps and amps that can run them to their best. Where did you find the Sony's at. I have not seen them in a while anywhere for sale?

kevinc666
10-21-2013, 03:12 PM
I found them on C List, Their ES stuff was pretty good I am using a Sony STR DA2 ES as a pre amp with them and it does sound damn good, I did have a Adcom 5.1 theater pre and to me it does a better job than that. The 2/2.1 channel is uncolored and pure. When I get a bigger place I intend to put these in a 2.1 set up with a better pre amp.

TheHills44060
10-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks, I would love to read that, is there any way you can scan it and send it to me? I looked for it online with no success.
It's in a stack of Stereophiles in my sisters attic but i have to go over there anyway to get some winter clothes. I grab the issue and scan it for ya. If memory serves me correctly its the 1995 recommended components issue.

kevinc666
10-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Cool thanks!

mjtab
10-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Vienna's do have a warm sound that benefits from very detailed and energetic amps. I still have the Vienna Theatro center channel when I had a 5.1 system. Vocal were warm and lush, compared to the super detailed speakers that were my L&R. In the long run I preferred the Vienna sound, but some folks don't. I will not be parting with the Theatro, though I don't use it now.

Long story, made longer, I feel you would get a lot more from your Vienna's try a pro amp like Bryston. Or Linn for a hi-fi amp. I found when I had Linn electronics it did not match well with hyper detailed speakers. Warm lush speakers like like the Viennas love detailed amps. My 2¢

kevinc666
10-26-2013, 07:48 PM
I have roughly come to the same conclusion, the Viennas sound better with the Rotel than the Sonys, both sound excellent the Sony speakers are just so detailed, I hear stuff on those I have simply never heard with any other speakers I have owned or heard. I think both would benefit from a higher end amp. I am looking but most are in the 500 to 1200 range and completely out of my budget at this time. I am looking at some used Bryston, B&K, Aragon, Krell, even a Mark Levinson but way out for now. I am also looking at a Carver TFM 25 and possibly re-capping it. Time will tell.

Worf101
10-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Jimminy Christmas!!!!! What a score! Drool, slobber... green with envy!!!!! Why do the pawn shops around here have nothing but drek!!!!!

Worf

kevinc666
10-31-2013, 04:51 AM
They have not had anything for a long time, or if they do they want way to much for it. I got lucky with these. It makes me wonder who would get rid of these to a pawn shop and how much they got for them?

harley .guy07
10-31-2013, 07:16 AM
With the internet at almost everyone's fingertips you hardly see people just selling things like that at pawn shops because most people can find out what equipment like that is really worth in minutes on the internet so finding the "diamond in the trash" thing is much harder to come by. I have been at most of the pawn shops here in Springfield and although have found some descent deals on tools have never seen good audio equipment at all much less any for a steal.

kevinc666
11-02-2013, 04:40 AM
Another friend of mine owns a thrift shop and I cannot believe what some people donate, Higher end amps bookshelf speakers its unbelievable. I bet some wealthy guy had these and upgraded and his wife just wanted these out of the house so he took them to the nearest pawnshop and got whatever they would give him for them. I don't really care it worked out great for me! I am going to go look at a different amp today.

frenchmon
11-02-2013, 03:05 PM
I got to see those Sony's one time in passing at someones home but was not able to hear them, they do look pretty cool though and seem to be built well. I don't know who makes their drivers for that speaker but their newest ES speaker use mostly Scan-Speak drivers I believe and they receive very good reviews. It is kind of odd how companies like Yamaha and Sony which make mostly mid-fi products will every once in a while come out with a out of this world speaker. It makes me wonder why they can do that but can't seem to make preamps and amps that can run them to their best. Where did you find the Sony's at. I have not seen them in a while anywhere for sale?

Both companies make some nice hi end audio amps....but Sonys high end stuff never makes it to the states.

kevinc666
11-03-2013, 05:39 AM
I picked up a new to me amp yesterday and it made these Sonys absolutely sing! Its a ATI AT1502. I have not tried it on the Viennas yet but will soon. The guy I got it from had a ton of high end gear, Bryston, Quad, Lexicon, Edge, Threshold, Moon, not using it, just stacked up everywhere, and its all for sale, well thats the impression I got anyway. He was a speaker designer/ engineer for Green Mountain Audio and knows his stuff.
Anyway ecstatically happy for the time being.

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee476/zarrdoss/P1000357_zps175245f2.jpg (http://s1229.photobucket.com/user/zarrdoss/media/P1000357_zps175245f2.jpg.html)

harley .guy07
11-03-2013, 05:50 AM
ATI are good amps from what I hear from the owners of them. That was one brand of amp I kept my eyes on when I was shopping for amps before I lucked onto my Pass. It seems like ATI likes to build upgrade ability with their stuff seeing how they offer amps that have "modules" that can take the amp from a two channel up to a seven channel or 9 channel amp. Pretty cool idea. The 1502 is one of their 2 channel only amps I believe but still they are built very well.

kevinc666
11-03-2013, 07:01 AM
The thing is built extremely well, zero noise between songs or on pause. It it shallow but really heavy, Huge Heat sinks but just gets lukewarm even after hours of play. I am extremely happy and impressed with it!

kevinc666
11-05-2013, 05:25 AM
Kind of funny and strange story, I posted this same thread on another forum and got told by 2 different people now that all amps sound the same and that "there is no scientific proof that different amps make a difference in sound, watts are watts". I guess no one told all these different amp manufactures not to waste their time in researching and developing all these amps. Or prestigious electronics engineers not to waste their time because in the end they will all sound the same. Why use different configurations, designs, components, if in the end it will sound the same as your competitors amp? just kind of a ignorant statement to me.
All I did was change out the amp and messed with nothing else and got a different sound, I was really baffled that they said this. Kind of like saying all speakers sound the same to me. I guess if that's what they have to tell themselves to get out of experimenting with different amps then more power to them. One guy said he had four ATI amps and said they run dead silent. well that implies that you have had experience with others and they do not, hence they do not all sound alike. And unless you bought all four at the same time why waste your time tracking 4 of the same brand if they all sound alike? oh just wanted them to match in looks?
I just had the mods close the thread and if this turns into a useless debate then I will close this as well, thanks.
Thoughts anyone?

harley .guy07
11-05-2013, 05:41 AM
Well anyone that thinks all amps sound the same should post that thread on Nelson Pass's site and pay real close attention to it for a while while Nelson schools them and lets them know what reality is all about. These people think the way they do for a certain reason. Its either they have reached their spending limits in amp and do not want to admit to themselves that there is better out there. Or they are home theater only guys that only play movies which to say the least is a DSP circus that does not bring the best out in an amp(not to say the amp does not matter in HT as well). And finally they refuse to upgrade the rest of their gear in order to hear the difference. I will be the first to admit that my speakers are levels below my amp in my system right now but Dynaudio speakers have this ability to sound better with upgrades to the components no matter what level of speakers you own and while my amp is the single most expensive component in my system by about 4 times or more I also know that anyone that has heard my system will say it way outperforms its price level and I know the amp plays a huge part in it.

TheHills44060
11-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Kevin that site is a complete joke as far as audio is concerned. Too many members there, including the moderators, are far too closed and simple minded for my taste.

I have gone there in the past to get some info and opinions about television sets but that's it.

kevinc666
11-05-2013, 06:11 PM
You must mean the AVS forum? Yeah some real big egos on that place. These guys just don't listen to any kind of reason at all. I bet they would never post those feelings or opinions on a site like Pass's or anywhere like that. Close minded narrow unenlightened, like I said whatever they have to do to convince themselves, go figure.

kevinc666
11-09-2013, 08:46 PM
OK I tried it on the Viennas and they sounded better with it too, as much as I like my Rotel I have to admit this ATI better. I also figured since I removed the EQ out of the mix I would try using the DAC in my receiver (Sony STR DA2ES) I figured since my CD player was also a Sony (CDP CX 55) they would have the same DAC but I guess I was wrong, clearly the receiver has a better DAC. Another improvement in sound.