New setup, need advice. Marantz SR5007, Mordaunt-Short MS906, Yamaha YST-SW320 Sub. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New setup, need advice. Marantz SR5007, Mordaunt-Short MS906, Yamaha YST-SW320 Sub.

Luke0435
09-28-2013, 09:13 AM
Hello this is my first post here. I have just bought a new Marantz SR5007 amplifier/receiver, 2 second hand Mordaunt-Short MS906, and a Yamaha YST-SW320 Subwoofer and set it up with some nice 16g cable. Now I'm not an expert in this field but I am absolutely amazed at every subtle nuance in the music; I've got some jazz on at the moment. These Mordaunt-Shorts are gorgeous. Plain and simple. But I digress. I really am a novice so I would be eager to hear a suggestion or two about what centre speaker and 2 sets of bookshelf speakers for rear surrounds to complete a 7.1 setup.

Here are a few I like: can you advise me on whether they would suit my setup? And if they are any good.

Klipsch synergy C3 centre
Polk csm centre
Dali concept centre
Jamo prestige 180 centre
B&W cc3 centre

Dauphin Quadral mk3 bookshelf
Canton le102 bookshelf
B&W dm602 bookshelf
Polk rt35i "
Tdl Nfm 2 "

Of course if you can recommend anything better, please do. Use the above suggestions when gauging my budget.

Lastly, the Subwoofer was a bit of a last minute purchase and im not 100% on whether its a good 'fit'. Perhaps you could suggest a better Subwoofer or a setup tip...?

Thankyou for your suggestions and support.

blackraven
09-28-2013, 11:24 AM
I would stick with Mordaunt Short brand so that all your speakers have similar sound, especially the center channel

harley .guy07
09-28-2013, 12:04 PM
I agree with Blackraven on the fact that staying with the same brand(Mordaunt Short) would Ideally be the way to go even if they are from a different series. From my experience with speaker brands even if they aren't from the same series if they are from the same brand and designer they will have a family similarity, at least more than another brand normally will unless you find a good match with another brand which is rare. Looking at my signature you will see I use a different center speaker but I do that mostly because I am going to start the process of getting new main speakers at some point and when I do I will match them with a center but right now there is no reason and the Yamaha center is really good for the money. But in your case I would definitely try to look on the used market for a center that matches

blackraven
09-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Here is an affordable MS center channel-

MORDAUNT SHORT Carnival 5 Center Channel Speaker Cherry | Accessories4less (http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=item&id=MORDCARN5CAL&gclid=CMHTxtSh77kCFe1DMgodDFYAoQ)

Here are more center channels from MS

Center Speaker | Center Channel | Center Speakers | Mordaunt Short (http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/mordauntshort-center-channel-speakers.html)

Luke0435
09-29-2013, 12:42 AM
Here is an affordable MS center channel-

MORDAUNT SHORT Carnival 5 Center Channel Speaker Cherry | Accessories4less (http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=item&id=MORDCARN5CAL&gclid=CMHTxtSh77kCFe1DMgodDFYAoQ)

Here are more center channels from MS

Center Speaker | Center Channel | Center Speakers | Mordaunt Short (http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/mordauntshort-center-channel-speakers.html)

That makes good sense. It should ensure even tonality, perhaps. So, considering its trickier than I thought to source speakers, in going with your advice I have just purchased a Mordaunt-Short 304 centre from Germany, same finish - looks nice.
Now I want to run an idea by you, tell me if its madness or not.
The middle-rear speakers which are actually positioned quite close to the listener, similar distance as the fronts and centre, will need to be Mordaunt-Short (I assume) so for this, which ones do you suggest? Avant 302?

Secondly, I have bought some canton Le102's for the rear. Now the rear speakers are positioned 3.5-4 meters from the listener. Is this choice of speaker a bad fit/disastrous for the setup? I am also thinking about upgrading the Subwoofer to the canton As25.

I would appreciate your advice on this. Thankyou!

blackraven
09-29-2013, 06:46 AM
The rear speakers are not as important as the front and center channels. You should be ok with the Canton's if you already have them. See how they sound and if you don't like them, then get the MS's. If the Canton sub is significantly better than what you have, then go for it.