20% of Canadians Watch Netflix [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 20% of Canadians Watch Netflix

Smokey
09-27-2013, 07:53 PM
That is up from 13% in 2012.About one in five English-speaking Canadians watch Netflix, according to a new survey from Media Technology Monitor. The Toronto-based research firm surveyed more than 2,000 English-speaking Canadians which was conducted in March and April.

Netflix launched streaming-only service in Canada in 2010, its first international expansion at the time. And as of August 2011, Netflix reported it had crossed the 1-million subscriber mark in Canada.

MTM found that two-third of respondents watch YouTube videos, 38% watched on-demand TV shows, 30% watched a movie, and 23% watched news or sports.

The PC remains the most popular (80%) connected device to watch online video, while 20% said they use either a connected TV, tablet or smartphone.

Report: 20% of Canadians Watch Netflix | Home Media Magazine (http://www.homemediamagazine.com/netflix/report-20-canadians-watch-netflix-31427)

Feanor
09-28-2013, 02:59 AM
That is up from 13% in 2012.About one in five English-speaking Canadians watch Netflix, according to a new survey from Media Technology Monitor. The Toronto-based research firm surveyed more than 2,000 English-speaking Canadians which was conducted in March and April.

Netflix launched streaming-only service in Canada in 2010, its first international expansion at the time. And as of August 2011, Netflix reported it had crossed the 1-million subscriber mark in Canada.

MTM found that two-third of respondents watch YouTube videos, 38% watched on-demand TV shows, 30% watched a movie, and 23% watched news or sports.

The PC remains the most popular (80%) connected device to watch online video, while 20% said they use either a connected TV, tablet or smartphone.

Report: 20% of Canadians Watch Netflix | Home Media Magazine (http://www.homemediamagazine.com/netflix/report-20-canadians-watch-netflix-31427)
The only number here that surprised me (as a Canadian) was the only 23% who watched news or sports. What? So few interested in sports? Well count me as one who isn't, but I do watch a lot of news and news commentary, (NOT FOX).

I subscribed to Netflix for a while but gave it up -- the selection in Canada is considerably smaller than in the USA, so I'm told. Someday I might sign up again to do some "binge" series viewing, e.g. Breaking Bad or Dexter.

JoeE SP9
09-29-2013, 11:10 AM
A Roku box and Netflix for <$8 a month have completely cured my cable envy. I'm sort of in the middle with sports. I watch professional sports of all types but I'm by no means a fanatic. OTOH, I have a problem with the reduced entrance requirements for recipients of athletic scholarships. Consequently, I have no interest in college sports because IMO most of those athlete/students shouldn't be in college in the first place.

Smokey
09-29-2013, 08:38 PM
I also gave netflix a try while back and for $8 a month is not too bad, but had to cancel for two reasons. Their selection in older movies and TV shows are very lacking. And with my internet speed of 3mgb, most of streaming was in SD.

TheHills44060
09-30-2013, 05:53 AM
I got rid of my cable over the summer and just signed up for the free Netflix month trial a few days ago for the hell of it. I have a fast connection and am using a WD Live Hub so it works pretty smoothly and the HD picture is fine however I'm not much a movie or tv show watcher so I don't see myself using it. I hooked up my parents on my account so I may continue to pay the monthly fee and just tell them its free so they keep using it.

I cannot live without Boxing so fortunately I can download most fights in HD from torrents. I'm a day a late but I can live with that. I also download tons of live concerts and a movie once in a blue moon so Netflix is just not for me. The service itself I found fairly cool if someone likes to watch movies and isn't very technically savvy.

Another thing I noticed is that the Netflix HD movies i took a look at were all in 5.1. I only run 2 channel stereo so they sound like garbage. I can barely hear any spoken dialog as you would imagine so that's no good. With torrents the majority of the time i can pick and choice the type of soundtrack i want.

jaychenhua
10-20-2013, 06:48 AM
IMO most of those athlete/students shouldn't be in college in the first place.http://www.ximi.us/usa/images/28.gif