First new gear in a Coon's age.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : First new gear in a Coon's age....

Worf101
09-23-2013, 05:12 PM
I recently scored an Onkyo TX-NR 5010 off the bay. This the FIRST time I've EVER bought a current model year receiver... period. But I couldn't resist the temptation. The beast lists at $2,999 and I got it NEW in box for $1,750 plus shipping. That was too good of a deal. The original owner had a 5008 and when it crapped the bed they sent him the 5010 as a replacement but meanwhile he'd moved on to separates so my good fortune.

It's a beast but actually feels lighter than my old Onkyo 905. I'm still tweaking it. and it's getting closer to perfect. There are some improvements though... the streaming of music from my desktop is far smoother with fewer drop-outs. Also there are some net apps already loaded but NOT the ONE I wanted most Netflix.

Grrrrr! So it looks like I still have to either buy a new net capable Blu-Ray or go with a Roku. Still haven't run Audessy. Last time I did that I blew a tweet on my Left ADS 1290 soooo I'm loathe to do That again. I'll keep all posted.

Worf

Hyfi
09-24-2013, 02:59 AM
Congrats! Looks like a really nice unit and I love the way the speaker terminals are laid out.

Worf101
09-24-2013, 04:45 AM
Nice layout for sure... simple to hook-up. Like the remote less though... not back-lit, but the menu's are simpler this time around. No more manuals either... they give you CD you have to print out or run on a lap top next to you. I printed it out at work and put it in a binder. And finally... FINALLY!!! I can run Zone 2 with analog AND HDMI content. On the 905 and later you could only run analog content on powered Zone 2. Made no sense to me as that use to be much easier in the past.

I'm likin' it thus far.

Worf

blackraven
09-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Nice score there Worf! I need to update to a new AVR. My Adcom is way outdated only has HDMI pass through. My Adcom came with a CD and no manual. I had to print off about 100 pages.

How does it sound with music!

Worf101
09-29-2013, 07:31 PM
Nice score there Worf! I need to update to a new AVR. My Adcom is way outdated only has HDMI pass through. My Adcom came with a CD and no manual. I had to print off about 100 pages.

How does it sound with music!

Music sounds marvelous. 2 Channel is quite good. I also reduced the toe-in on my ADS 1290's and it sounds mega good. I don't use Audessy on my vintage speakers but I am curious as to how it would do.

Worf

blackraven
09-30-2013, 01:20 PM
So just what kind of music does a Klingon like to listen too?:smilewinkgrin:

Worf101
10-02-2013, 05:30 AM
So just what kind of music does a Klingon like to listen too?:smilewinkgrin:

Lately I've been purchasing and listening to the remastered albums of Dionne Warwick when she was on the "Sceptre" label. It goes well with Prune Juice or... "the warriors drink" as we call it. When the Germans or Japanese remaster something... they do it right!!!! Made me want to throw out every other CD of hers I already had.

Worf

tooloveying
10-14-2013, 05:50 AM
Made no sense to me as that use to be much easier in the past.http://www.ximi.us/usa/images/28.gifhttp://www.ximi.us/usa/images/28.gif

recoveryone
11-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Good deal Old Man, I guess others are picking up on what I have been doing for years. The technology just moves to fast to keep buying new gear every other year.

Worf101
11-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Good deal Old Man, I guess others are picking up on what I have been doing for years. The technology just moves to fast to keep buying new gear every other year.

Every OTHER year... try like every 6 or 7 at most. Too much money involved... I'm not made of it! LOL! Yeah, our method is not madness!

Worf

Mr Peabody
11-18-2013, 07:49 AM
Good score, that would be cool if they'd replace my 508 with such a nice step up. I only use mine for a 3-channel set up in the living room though. The 508 isn't bad I just occasionally have to power everything down for a reset, I think it's an HDMI issue. I understand your reluctance using the auto set up after your issue but it does help equalize room issues.