How to play USB on a receiver? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How to play USB on a receiver?

ken88
09-22-2013, 07:51 AM
I just got a USB stick loaded with songs. I inserted it in my Anthem receiver, but there is no sound. How do I get the USB to play the songs? Thank you.

markw
09-22-2013, 09:55 AM
I don't know, but the first place I'd look is at the owners manual for your particular receiver.

Feanor
09-22-2013, 11:35 AM
I just got a USB stick loaded with songs. I inserted it in my Anthem receiver, but there is no sound. How do I get the USB to play the songs? Thank you.
Is it an MRX model Anthem receiver you have?

Check the manual that came with it or download from HERE (http://www.anthemav.com/products/anthem/a-v-receiver/mrx-300). See Section 4.3.2, Multimedia / USB Mass Storage Devices, page 32.

Aren't you a big boy? Can't you do this for yourself?

ken88
09-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Is it an MRX model Anthem receiver you have?

Check the manual that came with it or download from HERE (http://www.anthemav.com/products/anthem/a-v-receiver/mrx-300). See Section 4.3.2, Multimedia / USB Mass Storage Devices, page 32.

Aren't you a big boy? Can't you do this for yourself?

It's the Anthem MRX I have. I read the manual but there is not enough info to explain how to play the music. The Multimedia section on USB did not explain it well enough how to play the music once you connected the USB to the port. Any help would be much appreciated from anyone. Thanks.

Feanor
09-23-2013, 02:42 AM
It's the Anthem MRX I have. I read the manual but there is not enough info to explain how to play the music. The Multimedia section on USB did not explain it well enough how to play the music once you connected the USB to the port. Any help would be much appreciated from anyone. Thanks.
You could try a different flash drive. Make sure it's formatted with a file system the MRX handles; load some music files of type (or types) the MRX can handle, e.g. MP3. Note as the manual says that for first use the MRX will take some time index the files. The USB flash drive you were originally trying might have some "junk", i.e. files or directories, that are unacceptable types and which are confusing the receiver.

Are you seeing the USB screen as shown on page 33 of the manual, (the version on the website)? Unfortunately there is the possibility that the receiver itself isn't working properly.

JoeE SP9
09-23-2013, 01:56 PM
If you're using a flash drive from a MAC that could be the problem. A lot of gear with a USB input doesn't recognize a flash drive unless it's formatted to FAT32.

ken88
09-26-2013, 03:27 AM
You could try a different flash drive. Make sure it's formatted with a file system the MRX handles; load some music files of type (or types) the MRX can handle, e.g. MP3. Note as the manual says that for first use the MRX will take some time index the files. The USB flash drive you were originally trying might have some "junk", i.e. files or directories, that are unacceptable types and which are confusing the receiver.

Are you seeing the USB screen as shown on page 33 of the manual, (the version on the website)? Unfortunately there is the possibility that the receiver itself isn't working properly.

I can't see any USB screen as shown on page 33 of the manual!! What do I have to do to see the screen on TV? Thanks a lot Feanor.

Feanor
09-26-2013, 03:47 AM
I can't see any USB screen as shown on page 33 of the manual!! What do I have to do to see the screen on TV? Thanks a lot Feanor.
Sorry, ken88. I can't diagnose the problem any further from here. Apparently the MRX isn't recognizing the USB drive, but why that is I can't say.

Are you allowing the MRX to index the drive? The manual says this can take time -- I can imagine that this could take several minutes. I would guess that this process includes reading the files and extracting info such as the album name, etc., which aren't part of the file name but are referenced on the screen on page 33.

Perhaps you could ask the dealer where you bought your receiver.

ken88
09-27-2013, 03:28 AM
By the way, how do you set the MRX so that you can see the controls on TV screen? Right now, the controls are displayed on the MRX panel. Many thanks.

Hyfi
09-27-2013, 06:25 AM
By the way, how do you set the MRX so that you can see the controls on TV screen? Right now, the controls are displayed on the MRX panel. Many thanks.

It's time to talk to to Anthem Tech Support

Anthem Electronics Inc.
205 Annagem Blvd.
Mississauga, ON L5T 2V1
Canada

General Numbers:
Phone: (905) 564-1994
Fax: (905) 696-9479

Customer Service:
Phone: (905) 362-0958
Fax: (905) 696-9479

bfalls
09-27-2013, 06:46 AM
Have you tried a different USB drive, thumb or portable?