Video quality differences between BluRay players [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Video quality differences between BluRay players

emaidel
09-21-2013, 03:41 AM
It has been my opinion, largely based on reviews in Consumer Reports, that the video quality of BluRay players is very similar, with no player as a real standout I recently purchased a BluRay disc of "This is Cinerama," using the remarkable "Smilebox" process to actually simulate a deeply curved image on a flat screen TV and to give people a fairly decent idea of what it was like to see the huge (90' by 30') 146 degree curved Cinerama screen on a telelvision set. The image on my set is a bit grainy and a good deal less focused looking than other BluRay discs, and I merely attributed this to the fact that the disc is restored from some very old - and very lousy - film stock. Recently, however, I brought the disc over to Wofford College where my friend, who is the head I.T. guy in the school put the disc in a BluRay player, connected to an overhead projector that then projected the image onto a 12' wide screen. The results were startling: a much more convincing effect of a deeply curved screen and the "YOU are there" feeling one got while watching an old Cinerama film in a movie theater. The image was much, much sharper than that on my 46" Sharp TV and actually had more visual information on the edges of the screen. Of course, my question is, "Why?"

Smokey
09-27-2013, 07:34 PM
It has been my opinion, largely based on reviews in Consumer Reports, that the video quality of BluRay players is very similar, with no player as a real standout.Going by bluray player reviews from different web sites, that don't seem to be true. Panasonic and Sony bluray players seem to be get top ratings in picture quality and DVD upconversion.