Taking the Hi End Plunge? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Hi End Plunge?

blackraven
09-16-2013, 04:31 PM
I have always thought of my system as teetering on the edge of high end audiophile gear. All my gear is a lot of bang for the buck. Lately I have been thinking about upgrading my amp after talking with Mr. P. In the next day or so I am probably going to take the plunge and buy an X series Pass amp to take my system to the next level and to get the most out of my Magnepan 1.6's and Van Alstine Hybrid tube Preamp and DAC. I was going to buy a Vincent sp-331MKII like Frenchmon's, but I think that will only give me a modest improvement at best compared to my Parasound A21. When I took home the new Van Alstine 600R hybrid tube amp to review I was given a glimpse of what an audiophile amp can do. Mr. P. had bought 400R AVA amp and has since purchased a Pass X-250 which he says is a much better sounding. This has lead me up to this point.

JohnMichael
09-16-2013, 05:00 PM
I have to ask what cables are you using? I almost hate to open that can of worms but they are a component also and a step up in cables along with the new amp might really kick up your system.

blackraven
09-16-2013, 05:26 PM
I use BJC and audioquest corals. I have also used Tara Labs which are way too bright sounding. I tried some high end Synergistic Research cables that one of our members sent me and they did not sound any better than my BJC's. They had a tad more transparency but less detail than the BJC's.

All I can is that when I auditioned the the Van Alstine 600R it transformed my system. The level of detail and resolution was superb. The transparency and sound stage was insanely good. Even compressed recordings opened up and sounded good. I thought about getting a 600R or 400R but they leaned a little to the bright side in my system and I don't want to have to get into rolling tubes again to bring it over to the slightly warmer presentation that I prefer. The Vincent amp can do that for me but after reading reviews and talking with Mr P, I think that the Pass amp may be the way to go.

JohnMichael
09-16-2013, 06:00 PM
I have recently switched to Transparent Cables that Mr. P had suggested. They kick the performance up several notches. I went from a diehard solid core fan to a Transparent Cable fan.

Feanor
09-17-2013, 05:50 AM
Take the plunge if you can do so without depriving your family or creating discord, or getting into debt. These qualifications are easy to express, harder to judge.

For one thing, the Pass Lab amps are the only ones I would trust to deliver the best, least compromised sound regardless of cost -- not that they're cheap. For another, the Magneplanar MG 1.6QR's have proven to me that they can exploit the best electronics you can attach to them.

Right now I'm looking at low cost, (new or used), amplifiers and trying to get a feel for which will deliver for me the most agreeable set of compromises. This is a weary task since anything I can afford has this, that, or multiple compromises.

But beware that there is not "end of the trail" in audio. If you find an amp that will satisfy you for a few years, then you will feel the urge to find the idea speaker or whatever else in the reproduction chain.

blackraven
09-17-2013, 07:10 AM
I am with you Feanor, the 1.6's will sound as good as your gear. I found that out with the Van Alstine 600R, I was astounded at how good Maggies sounded with the 600R. As for the future, I could see myself upgrading to a fully tube preamp and a more up to date DAC perhaps. As for speakers, I would love to find a nice used pair of 3.6's but I would consider a pair of PSB Synchrony's if I down size my house in 7-10 years.

Any one want a good deal on a used Parasound A21?

frenchmon
09-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Raven. I too like the Pass Labs a lot, but to a guy who loves tubes and know what a tube brings to the table you will notice it. But again, you had the Parasound which is not to far off from what the Pass amps do. Remember Pass and Curl shared designs years ago... And please don't sell your self short with the Vincent. I too have heard your amps a few years ago at my dealers house before I purchased my Vincent tube preamp. I don't ever remember the Parasound sounding like what I have now. Its totally differnet in what they bring to the table. also to my ears the AVA was more solid state sounding with lots of air. The Vincent is different. This thing is way more bang for your buck. It performs way more than what the price dictates. And I don't remember the AVA creating a venue like the Vincent. the Vincent gives you the real tube presence and the slam you need with SS. It's got real texture and of course the mids on a tube rig and solid state rig are different...at least to my ears. And with my Vincent preamp, I've found great synergy with a NOS 12au7 tube, with a pair of TEN 5751's....I am in audio bliss right now. Good luck with the Pass...it too is a great amp, and I have it on good faith they match up really well with your Maggies.

But do keep in mind, you already have the AVA preamp. I think it will server you well to get a AVA amp instead of the Pass Labs. Not because the Pass Labs is bad, but because the special synergy that will come from like minded designs from the same designer is always best. There is a certain synergy that comes from the same amp/preamp when you get to a certain level. Peabody has a Pass Labs preamp and amp.....I have a Vincent preamp and amp. there is a certain synergy between the same amp/preamp that wont be accomplished if you have different matched gear at this level. Will it still perform...yes, but not at the level the designers intended. They have designed each piece with their own gear in mind and not some one elses. Once I got the Vincent amp to go with my Vincent preamp, I was made a believer. There is a guy over at Audiokarma who just purchased the matching piece to his Marantz Reference and is also experiencing the same thing, that special synergy that is so hard to come by. So if I where you, seeing you have the AVA preamp and DAC, you should go for the matching amp as well.

blackraven
09-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Frenchmon, I have not bought the Pass yet, I have to work out the details and I am still negotiating. I am looking at an X-250 but may buy an X-150. I was going to pull the trigger on the Vincent until I found the Pass amps. I am taking a chance because I like the tube sound. And I agree with your assessment of the 400R amp. It needed some warmer sounding tubes. But I have to think that a Pass amp that sold for $5000 new will take my system to another level. Every thing that I have read about the older X series amps speak of its great sense of air, transparency and detail. They are supposed to be very smooth with great control. Besides, if I don't like the sound, I am sure that I could turn around and sell it fairly easily.

frenchmon
09-17-2013, 08:42 AM
Kindly tell me what the reviews said that swayed you toward the Pass? the Pass is a great amp...but thats not to say the Vincent isn't. In all honesty, I think the textures from the individual notes will be richer...especially in the midrange with the Vincent. Peabodys Pass is 250 wpc and the firest 15 class A. The Vincent is 150 wpc with the first 10 class A. I think the Pass has a better control over lower bass notes, but I think the tubes give the better texture especially with midrange presence. Both amps are beast with the Pass Labs being more of a beast! But neither Peabody or I will every use all the watts the amps offer...and I really dont think I have ever been out of Class A yet. 10 Watts is awful loud.

frenchmon
09-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Raven...the only negative thing I read about the Vincent SP-331 MK was when the Absolute sound did a review on the amp. They gave it a glowing review and even an award, but said when driven to its volume peak, it kinda strained . But again, they where driving....yes you guessed it, some power hungry Maggies! So if that's your reason for not going with the Vincent I understand...but then again, Maggies can make a lot of amps crap out. But who drives an amp like that in their homes any way?

blackraven
09-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Frenchmon, my Parasound is class A for the first 8-10 watts. The X250 is 20watts in class A and peaks even higher from what I have read. And the A21 actually specs out much better than the Pass amps and has higher current at 60 amps but specs aren't every thing. As for the tube sound, my hybrid preamp and hybrid dac provide that. I am looking for more detail and transparency.

Here are some reviews of the Pass

Pass Laboratories Supersymmetry™ Balanced Single-Ended Class-A X250 Stereo Amplifier by A. Colin Flood (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0202/passx250.htm)

Product Review (http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_3/pass-labs-x250-amp-8-2002.html)

http://www.stereotimes.com/amp051403.shtml

frenchmon
09-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Oh I know what the Pass can do and is like....Its a great amp. So you say the A21 is not transparent and not detailed?

blackraven
09-17-2013, 06:54 PM
I am not saying that the A21 is not transparent and detailed. But after having a 600R amp in home for 3 days of fun, I was left wanting more. The A21 is a great amp, fast paced, detailed with deep, well controlled bass with a nice midrange and treble. There is a little grain in the upper treble. The 600R just showed me how much better my system can sound. I am not even sure if I am going to sell the A21 after I get the Pass. I would like to use it with my MMMG'S and my Grant Fidelity.

I would probably love the Vincent amp and be perfectly happy with it, but to be able to buy a Pass X-250 for $2600 is too good to pass up (no pun intended). The amp listed for $6000 in 2002. If I don't like it I could sell it and give the Vincent a go.

frenchmon
09-18-2013, 01:02 AM
Oh I don't blame you there man....that's a great deal! I'm sure with whatever direction you go, you will enjoy the music. Congrats man on the new amp!

blackraven
09-18-2013, 10:26 AM
My wife gave me the go ahead to buy the amp. I have to pay the shipping, about $100 and the guy will split the Pay Pal fees with me. It will ship out on 9/26. You guys are all invited over for beer, margarita's and good music!

Hyfi
09-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Raven, Congrats on the killer amp. Wish I could get there to hear it all.

frenchmon
09-18-2013, 11:43 AM
IF I could come, I'd like sweet tea.....no booze for me.....last one was 1989. Congrats!

Jack in Wilmington
09-18-2013, 12:39 PM
IF I could come, I'd like sweet tea.....no booze for me.....last one was 1989. Congrats!

I know what you're saying Frenchie. I had my last cigarette in 1988. Addicted to the music now.

blackraven
09-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Sweet Tea and steaks on the grill it is!

More good news on the amp. I called Pass Labs and gave them the serial number of the amp. It was built in 2011 and had a full check up. It is in excellent condition. I had a nice chat with them. I told them that I was considering buying the cheaper X-150. They said that the X250 is another animal and much better than the 150 in terms of sound quality. It looks like I made the right decision.

frenchmon
09-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Yeap....and all the junk they got out now.....I'ma glad I cant drink. All that gin and vodka flavored with different flavors....no sir, they can keep that crap.

frenchmon
09-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Sweet Tea and steaks on the grill it is!

More good news on the amp. I called Pass Labs and gave them the serial number of the amp. It was built in 2011 and had a full check up. It is in excellent condition. I had a nice chat with them. I told them that I was considering buying the cheaper X-150. They said that the X250 is another animal and much better than the 150 in terms of sound quality. It looks like I made the right decision.

Great! On another note....You should get a good after marker Power Cord. I purchased a very good one and Mr. Peabody heard it as well and said it was good. Its the Triode Labs Wire. I purchased the "10 Plus" American gauge. and will be
purchasing the "7" gauge in a while. Its clearly better than any Power cable I have ever heard. Audiophile Cables - High End Power Cords - The Seven Plus (http://triodewirelabs.com/audiophile-power-cable-seven-plus.html)

blackraven
09-18-2013, 02:17 PM
I have an after market power cord but I may buy another. I have a very nice Audio Quest power cord that came with my Music Hall Cd player from HCM Audio. I may buy another cord and some Analysis plus IC's. Thanks for the link on the power cords. Although after reading this excerpt from the X-250 manual I am not going to spend a ton on cables-

"Interconnects and Speaker Cables
We have a general recommendation about interconnects, which is that they should cost less
than the amplifier. We have tried a lot of products and most of them work well, but as a
practical matter we cannot make blanket recommendations.
The amplifier is not sensitive to source interconnects. It is also not sensitive to radio frequency
pickup, which allows some flexibility in choosing source interconnects without shields.
We prefer speaker cables that are thick and short. Silver and copper are the preferred metals.
If you find any cable made of gold, please send me a couple hundred feet.
Fortunately the amplifier is not sensitive to the capacitive/inductive character of some of the
specialty speaker cables, so feel free to experiment.
We have found that about 90 per cent of bad sounding cables are really bad connections, and
we recommend that special attention be paid to cleanliness of contact surfaces and tight fit.
Speaker cables should be firmly tightened down at the speaker output terminals, but do not
use a wrench. They will not withstand 100 foot-lbs of torque. Hand tightening without
excessive force is plenty."

The rest of the manual is written in this manner, with an occasionally funny reference.

Feanor
09-18-2013, 03:32 PM
I have an after market power cord but I may buy another. I have a very nice Audio Quest power cord that came with my Music Hall Cd player from HCM Audio. I may buy another cord and some Analysis plus IC's. Thanks for the link on the power cords. Although after reading this excerpt from the X-250 manual I am not going to spend a ton on cables-

"Interconnects and Speaker Cables
We have a general recommendation about interconnects, which is that they should cost less
than the amplifier. We have tried a lot of products and most of them work well, but as a
practical matter we cannot make blanket recommendations.
The amplifier is not sensitive to source interconnects. It is also not sensitive to radio frequency
pickup, which allows some flexibility in choosing source interconnects without shields.
We prefer speaker cables that are thick and short. Silver and copper are the preferred metals.
If you find any cable made of gold, please send me a couple hundred feet.
Fortunately the amplifier is not sensitive to the capacitive/inductive character of some of the
specialty speaker cables, so feel free to experiment.
We have found that about 90 per cent of bad sounding cables are really bad connections, and
we recommend that special attention be paid to cleanliness of contact surfaces and tight fit.
Speaker cables should be firmly tightened down at the speaker output terminals, but do not
use a wrench. They will not withstand 100 foot-lbs of torque. Hand tightening without
excessive force is plenty."

The rest of the manual is written in this manner, with an occasionally funny reference.
Nelson Pass is typically quite troll.

blackraven
09-18-2013, 06:12 PM
If any one else is looking to buy a Pass Labs X-250, let me know. The other guy I have been dealing with, lowered his price on the amp to $2550 plus shipping to compete with the amp I intend to buy.

Feanor
09-19-2013, 03:51 AM
If any one else is looking to buy a Pass Labs X-250, let me know. The other guy I have been dealing with, lowered his price on the amp to $2550 plus shipping to compete with the amp I intend to buy.
Damn! That's actually a very good price -- wish I could do it, but unfortunately not.

harley .guy07
09-19-2013, 07:45 AM
Good Purchase!!! I will tell you that getting a Pass amp has been the single best audio experience I have ever had and I know that I need to upgrade speakers to really get to the best this amp can do. I did hear myself that the x250 is better than the x150 but I also heard that when they started making the x150.5 version like mine the differences got much smaller or not at all compared to the x250.5 except for the power differences. I am glad that you chose the 250 because from what I hear the older 150 is not even on the same level as my 150.5. I will be looking forward to what you think of this amp when you get it home. I think you will be floored with the shear musicality that these amps are capable of and the amount of emotion that they show. Specs aren't everything and the Pass amps prove it.

blackraven
09-19-2013, 08:23 AM
Harley, the guy at Pass Labs that I talked to, said that the 150.5 has much better sound than the older X-150. I have looked for a used 150.5 but haven't been able to find one. Supposedly the 0.5 series have a slightly warmer sound and are more tube like.

You are right about specs. My A21 amp has higher current, slew rate and a dampening factor over 1000 along with lower THD than the X250. On paper it looks great. But in the real world it can't compete with amps like the Pass.

harley .guy07
09-19-2013, 10:12 AM
The guy at Pass labs said it just like the people I have talked to. the 150.5 is much better than the original 150 and more on par with the upper level .5 amps. I found mine just looking one day and thought I better jump at it while this lasted. the price I got mine at was a steal compared to new and almost too good to be true. I must say though that the 150.5 does not seem to come up for sale very often. The prices you mentioned for the 250 seems very good though and I would not hesitate at all if the amp checks out as been taken care of. Unless a person has severe upgraditus or just have a whole in there wallet bigger than most I would say most audiophiles would be happy ending their journey at the Pass .5 series amps. I know I have never heard an amp in my life that gives music this kind of life and energy while keeping all the detail and dynamic slam. I recently added my XLR connectors back into the chain between the preamp and amp and also changed the interconnects between my dac and preamp. made much difference and now I know why people say to use the balanced connectors on Pass amps. It really opened up the sound and let the detail and lifelike realism flow. I really noticed it with the dynamics of the music between soft and loud passages.

blackraven
09-19-2013, 10:29 AM
I wish I could add XLR's but my preamp is not balanced. That may be my next upgrade to a balanced preamp. Some time in the future I would like to find a used CJ or AR tube preamp with XLR's.

Feanor
09-19-2013, 12:46 PM
I wish I could add XLR's but my preamp is not balanced. That may be my next upgrade to a balanced preamp. Some time in the future I would like to find a used CJ or AR tube preamp with XLR's.
I'm pretty sure CJ only make single-end, RCA only output preamps. AR makes mostly balanced but some single-ended only. BAT only makes balanced, (true to their name, Balanced Audio Technologies).

But I wanted to get back to a pre with balanced i/o at least and preferably fully balanced hence the ARC LS9 (which should arrive tomorrow or Monday). Previously I had an Adcom GFP750 then a Sonic Frontiers Line 1; both were fully balanced. The LS9 has two balance inputs and two balanced outputs.

As you observed about the Pass Labs, some amps are optimized for balanced connection. The Pass Labs, Ayre, BAT (of course) ... and my humble CDA SDS.

http://i40.tinypic.com/wljpj.jpg

blackraven
09-19-2013, 02:09 PM
I was browsing Audiogon earlier and there are a couple of preamps that caught my eye-

There is an ARC LS16 with HT by pass for $1,600 and a BAT VK 3iX for $1,650. I could be happy with either one. But unfortunately I can't afford either one right now. I may sell my Van Alstine Ultra plus Hybrid Preamp. I will just have to see how things sound with the Pass.

harley .guy07
09-19-2013, 02:29 PM
I tried the balanced connectors when I first got my Pass amp and I did not like them when I had my PS audio Digi link in my system because it did not have enough low end to keep up with the more detail in the midrange. Now that I have upgraded to the NuWave dac the low end is quite a bit better and now the sound is awesome with the balanced connectors. I was very happy with the sound with the RCA's but I can tell that XLR balanced cables are the way that both the Pass amp and Nuforce preamp were meant and designed to use.

blackraven
09-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Harley, how do you like your Nu Force preamp? I really like the Model 9se amps, they are very tube like with great air, transparency and control. Does your preamp seem tube like?

Feanor
09-20-2013, 04:10 AM
I was browsing Audiogon earlier and there are a couple of preamps that caught my eye-

There is an ARC LS16 with HT by pass for $1,600 and a BAT VK 3iX for $1,650. I could be happy with either one. But unfortunately I can't afford either one right now. I may sell my Van Alstine Ultra plus Hybrid Preamp. I will just have to see how things sound with the Pass.
No doubt your X250 will sound great even with the RCA connectors. Balanced would gilding the lily.

I would have preferred a tube preamp but, new or used, they are more expensive than solid state, especially balanced and with remote control. So an LS16 seems pretty ideal for me but at $1600 it would be almost twice what I paid for the LS9.

By reputation ARC tube stuff is relatively cool and closer to solid state; BAT is warmer and darker, so they say. Sonic Frontiers, e.g. the Line 1 which I owned, is relatively cheap but the reason for that is that it's very solid state-like; also the company is out of business though if can be repaired by Parts ConneXion.

harley .guy07
09-20-2013, 05:26 AM
Harley, how do you like your Nu Force preamp? I really like the Model 9se amps, they are very tube like with great air, transparency and control. Does your preamp seem tube like?

I really like the P8 preamp. If you read any of the reviews online about it they will talk about how this preamp shows some qualities of tubes and I would have to agree. The midrange has a liquid type musical flow that would remind a person of listening to tubes but without the highs or lows being diminished or the bass not tight. I have hears some people say that the highs are bright with this preamp but I wounder what other components they were using because it is not bright at all in my opinion and a lot of reviewers have this opinion as well. This is one such review and even though he does say that the highs are dry compared to a tube pre he also said the P8 did things that most tube pres can't

NuForce P8 Preamplifier | AVguide (http://www.avguide.com/review/nuforce-p8-preamplifier)

This review is the one that made me look for one of these back when I was shopping for preamps. I was actually looking at the Rogue Audio Metis or Perseus when I read this review then I liked what they said about the sound character of the P8. I liked that it had tube like qualities in the area where tubes are at their best, the midrange. And it had solid state qualities in the areas which they are better, the bass, treble, and the inner musical detail, and of coarse the noise floor. I know there are better preamps out there and I would love to have a Pass Preamp Like Mr. P's but I am happy with the Nuforce for now and my next move will be an upgrade in speakers. I am still in school for another year or so so I am trying to hold off until I get out to throw down a chunk on speakers. I know I should wait because I don't want to mess around with the step process I want to really upgrade into something I can own for years and cherish and if that means spending more so be it.

blackraven
09-24-2013, 09:53 AM
I just paid for the amp today. It should ship out on Thursday. Its time to get energized about my system again. During the summer I sort of lose interest in listening to music due to the nice weather. Now that fall is here and the temperatures are dropping, I will spend a lot more time listening to music. The summers here are just too short to spend it indoors.

I will finally post some pictures of my gear once the Pass is set up.

Feanor, I tried to send you a PM but your box is full.

Feanor
09-24-2013, 10:54 AM
I just paid for the amp today. It should ship out on Thursday. Its time to get energized about my system again. During the summer I sort of lose interest in listening to music due to the nice weather. Now that fall is here and the temperatures are dropping, I will spend a lot more time listening to music. The summers here are just too short to spend it indoors.

I will finally post some pictures of my gear once the Pass is set up.

Feanor, I tried to send you a PM but your box is full.
I'd be frantic waiting if I were expecting an X250. As it is, I'm going to stick with my CLD SDS for a while, at the very least 'till after Christmas. I'll be getting my ARC LS9 preamp tomorrow with any luck.

My PM books is now less full, BTW.

blackraven
10-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Well the amp arrived safely today according to my son. However, I am stuck in Vegas till tomorrow night. I would like to get on a plane now and go home. I will post my initial impressions late tomorrow or early Thursday. My son opened the box and found a certificate of authenticity from Pass Labs showing that the amp was sent back to them and that it checks out in perfect condition. He says that the amp is in perfect cosmetic condition. I am psyched about this amp. I just hope that my preamp and dac measure up. I don't have the most resolving tubes in my preamp and DAC right now, just the warmest sounding, I am sure I will have to do some tube rolling.

I would like this amp to be the last amp that I purchase till I am old and deaf and have to give it to my son.

harley .guy07
10-01-2013, 07:51 PM
That's the way I feel about my Pass amp. I hope it will be the last amp I purchase for many years to come as I am very happy with it. A lot of wealthy audiophiles start off with the x.5 series then trade up to the XA series and if that isn't enough they now have the XS series to upgrade to which to say the least is way over any price I would pay for a power amp. Heck the XA series is probably more than I would pay unless somehow I come into way more money that will allow me to let go of that king of money for one component.

I hope you like the Pass and I am excited to see what you think of it compared to what you have been listening to or have tried recently

Feanor
10-02-2013, 03:57 AM
Well the amp arrived safely today according to my son. However, I am stuck in Vegas till tomorrow night. I would like to get on a plane now and go home. I will post my initial impressions late tomorrow or early Thursday. My son opened the box and found a certificate of authenticity from Pass Labs showing that the amp was sent back to them and that it checks out in perfect condition. He says that the amp is in perfect cosmetic condition. I am psyched about this amp. I just hope that my preamp and dac measure up. I don't have the most resolving tubes in my preamp and DAC right now, just the warmest sounding, I am sure I will have to do some tube rolling.

I would like this amp to be the last amp that I purchase till I am old and deaf and have to give it to my son.
With due respect to your AVA preamp, the X250 probably doesn't need added warmth but might benefit from balanced input.

I'm seriously thinking about an amp upgrade but am not sure what I can rationally and fairly spend; (my wife would prefer the money go towards a vacation trip). I don't foresee replacing my MG 1.6's at least.

Feanor
10-02-2013, 04:01 AM
That's the way I feel about my Pass amp. I hope it will be the last amp I purchase for many years to come as I am very happy with it. A lot of wealthy audiophiles start off with the x.5 series then trade up to the XA series and if that isn't enough they now have the XS series to upgrade to which to say the least is way over any price I would pay for a power amp. Heck the XA series is probably more than I would pay unless somehow I come into way more money that will allow me to let go of that king of money for one component.

I hope you like the Pass and I am excited to see what you think of it compared to what you have been listening to or have tried recently
More expensive is the trend in high-end equipment. I firmly believe it's part of the increasing separation of the rich from the middle class. The latter have less money to spend so they buy nothing or resort to value products from Far East. High end makers see the middle class shrinking as a source of revenue and compelled to target the top end of the market where margins are higher.

harley .guy07
10-02-2013, 11:46 AM
More expensive is the trend in high-end equipment. I firmly believe it's part of the increasing separation of the rich from the middle class. The latter have less money to spend so they buy nothing or resort to value products from Far East. High end makers see the middle class shrinking as a source of revenue and compelled to target the top end of the market where margins are higher.

You are very correct with your thought about how they are starting to market and sell their products. I believe even though I am a music lover and an audiophile and will be till my last day I also believe that there is a limit to what I will spend on a single component in my system. I know that some of this is relative to income level but also I thing it has to do with the my feelings that I will not be able to get that much more performance from my system compared to the money spent and not spending the extra on other things. Its the old diminishing returns thing and I do believe that after a certain price point the differences start to fade and that is why you see people comparing speakers in the $10,000 range to speakers double the price is because the differences after a certain price point are very miniscule. I grew up in a middle class environment and have a very strong business mind and part of that is knowing that spending $100,000 on a pair of monoblock amplifiers is rediculas and most likely not needed for the enjoyment of music in my home. I also know that a certain percentage of the people that would spend that king of money on these amplifiers don't even have the knowledge and appreciation for music that we share as audiophiles rather they have a bragging rights game being played with other wealthy people around them and even if they hear the differences between a $10,000 amp and a $100,000 amp they also know the differences are small as well. I can't blame the companies that make these products for making them and selling them they are just doing what companies do, make money selling products to customers looking for products like they make and if they have people that are willing to spend that king of money on one component then they will make it. It happens with every luxury product category out there. Who am I to say its wrong for them but for me I have my limits on what I will spend on audio even though I am a die hard fan of it.

frenchmon
10-02-2013, 04:32 PM

I too agree with Fenor....the AVA is not as warm and is actually lively. So you may find some good synergy. Now I know you probably dont agree but You really should spend a little cash on a good power cord and some good interconnects. And of course you know you still have to consider your weakest link in your system.