Best sub advice PLEASE (under $200) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best sub advice PLEASE (under $200)

davidsco27
09-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Hi, I would really love some good advice here as I have completely racked my brain in this. I'm upgrading my Sub for my Home Theater system. Had the Onkyo SKW-50 that I just got rid of. Was originally looking at the 204, but the reviews about clicking noises when it switches on and off with no way to turn off Auto have kinda soured me on that one. I have an Onkyo HT-RC260 Receiver, A Boston Acoustic Center, and Polk Audio Monitor 60's as my mains. One caveat is that I have about a 13" width size limitation, maybe 13 1/2". as it's fitting between the TV shelf and a Pellet Stove Hearth. I've basically narrowed it down to the following models:

Bic V80
Yamaha YST-SW215
Yamaha YST-SW216
MartinLogan Dynamo 300

I listen to music as well as Bluray movies with this and it's in my living room that's not very large

But am open to other strong suggestions in this range.

Thanks!

blackraven
09-15-2013, 04:51 PM
I can't say that I have heard any of those subs but in looking at the specs, I would take the BIC or the Martin Logan. The Yamaha 215 was a wide frequency range and I am leery of a cheap sub that claims a freq response of 20-170Hz. I suspect that it will be muddy or boomy sounding. I personally own a Martin Logan original dynamo which is the equivalent of the 1000. But the 300 and 1000 are different animals with the 1000 being non ported and more powerful.

markw
09-16-2013, 05:41 AM
I can't really comment on your initial question but simply want to interject that a subs placement has a lot to do with how well it performs in a given room. With your stipulation that it MUST go in that particular spot, be aware that ultimately you might not be too satisfied with it's performance.

3db
09-20-2013, 06:31 AM
Is it possible for you to double your budget? At the price point you are looking at, the choices available to you are a waste of money and you will quickly come to regret purchasing any of them. If I were you, I would keep socking away the funds until you you reach the $500 mark. At that price point, the SVS PB1000 and SVS SB1000 come into play. These SVS subs will easily out perform anything in the price class you are looking for and you will be happy with either one of them.

davidsco27
09-20-2013, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the response, but 500 is just way more than i want to spend on this. It's not a large room, and I have a rather tight space in which to place it, anyway. I went with the Martin Logan. It's breaking in now, but so far am happy with it. $129 on Amazon. It's an improvement over the Onkyo, and that's mostly what I was looking for

3db
09-20-2013, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the response, but 500 is just way more than i want to spend on this. It's not a large room, and I have a rather tight space in which to place it, anyway. I went with the Martin Logan. It's breaking in now, but so far am happy with it. $129 on Amazon. It's an improvement over the Onkyo, and that's mostly what I was looking for

All that counts is that your happy with it. :)

E-Stat
09-24-2013, 04:40 PM
All that counts is that your happy with it. :)
Though we disagree in opinion on other matters, I'm with you on your original suggestion.

3db
10-03-2013, 07:12 AM
Though we disagree in opinion on other matters, I'm with you on your original suggestion.

We can't let this one time between us. :biggrin5:

huameitang
10-13-2013, 12:24 AM
be aware that ultimately you might not be too satisfied with it's performance.http://www.ximi.us/usa/images/28.gif

kevinc666
10-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Have you looked at the subs and DIY subs at pats express? some pretty good deals. If you are handy you can build the box yourself and save some coin.

tooloveying
10-14-2013, 05:49 AM
great.i like it,I'm with you on your original suggestion. thanks