Software effects applied to .wav files [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Software effects applied to .wav files

PPG
04-22-2004, 04:52 AM
I recently picked up Roxio Easy CD Platinum V. 6 at my local Target on clearance for $35.00. It's got a feature called Audio Central that allows you to adjust stereo width, bass, brightness, and ambience (simulated room effects), as well as equalization. I've experimented with it on a couple of tracks just for fun but I may be "remastering" some tracks in the future. Any of you played the mad scientist with features like this in your software? What were the results? Any improvement or some horror stories?

-Jar-
04-22-2004, 06:24 AM
I recently picked up Roxio Easy CD Platinum V. 6 at my local Target on clearance for $35.00. It's got a feature called Audio Central that allows you to adjust stereo width, bass, brightness, and ambience (simulated room effects), as well as equalization. I've experimented with it on a couple of tracks just for fun but I may be "remastering" some tracks in the future. Any of you played the mad scientist with features like this in your software? What were the results? Any improvement or some horror stories?

I'd be curious to hear how the EQ works. I've been having problems with A/C hum when I burn tracks from my turnable to my Pioneer cd burner. How many bands does the EQ have? I wonder if it's fine enough that I could target the buzz without damaging the music too much. It might be worth the price. Let us know how it works for you. Are you using XP? I have Easy CD 5.0 and it burns discs fine, but the cross fade function is very hit or miss..

-jar

Mike
04-22-2004, 06:41 AM
I use Roxio platinum version 5 which just has the simple sounstream feature where you can play about with the graphic equaliser. I've only tried it once and although in preview you could hear the difference it didn't seem to make much difference when I burned a copy. It may be you need to be brutal with the settings to make a real difference.

But a friend of mine did a couple of Beatles compilations 1965-70 where he pumped up the bass and volume (I'm not sure what software he used) but wow that did make a difference. Hearing Taxman/Day Tripper/Drive my Car/Nowhere Man etc with a thumping bass drum for the first time. Not for the purists, but I find some early Beatles a bit too thin and weedy. Like I said purists would call it sacrilige but each to his/her own.

Happy to trade if you ever want to hear the effects.

Cheers
Mike

PPG
04-22-2004, 07:05 AM
Jar, I didn't actually mess with the equalization (yet) - I was in the "Enhancement" mode and another area I forget the name of. I'll post tonight and let you know how many bands was in there. And I'm using XP. As for the crossfade problems you mentioned with V.5, I had a lot of problems with that when I had the same version - it drove me nuts. Fortunately, they seemed to have fixed that with V. 6, it works fine.

Mike, that would be interesting to hear the Beatle tracks you mentioned. As soon as I come up with a disc full of "enhanced" tracks, I'd love to do a trade.

One track I burned a regular version and an enhanced version of last night was Steely Dan's "Josie". I boosted the bass just a tad, increased the stereo width slightly, and just a dash of increased brightness. While not a major difference on playback in the car player, I think I like the difference I can hear.

Mike
04-22-2004, 08:06 AM
Mike, that would be interesting to hear the Beatle tracks you mentioned. As soon as I come up with a disc full of "enhanced" tracks, I'd love to do a trade.

Rick I'll send something your way, I'll PM you with the details

Cheers
Mike