SMGs on their way! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SMGs on their way!

Starmangmh
09-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Got my SMGs out via FedEx today with est. arrival in MN on Wed. The people working at FedEx couldn't believe I had the original box with the original "antique" (as they put it) Federal Express stickers on it. The woman said she started working there when they still used those stickers. Anyway, 64 lbs with probably 4 lbs of that tape to repair/reinforce the box and then snug it all together. Already told Sheila I want to replace the brown socks with black so not only will I have "like new" speakers, they'll have a brand new look to them!

What's a good run-in period? I've heard everything from 50 hours to 100. I assume it's like running in a new motor...no high revs and keep it under half throttle. Looking forward to finally hearing my system together and in top form!!!

Gary

KENWOOD KA-650
PRO-JECT DEBUT III
MISSION PCM II
NAKAMICHI LX-3
MAGNAPLANAR SMGs

TheHills44060
09-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Cool beans Gary. I've never heard a pair of SMG's in the flesh before.

Starmangmh
09-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Well, neither have I. At least not that were working right. I've heard my best friend's MMGs and they sound quite nice!! It'll be interesting to see how the SMGs mate with my vintage Kenwood amp. Both the amp and speakers came from my best friend but he never used the speakers with this amp. Factory specs rate it at 180 WPC @ 4 ohms but I've read that may be a bit conservative. In any event, I think that's quite enough to drive the SMGs.