Cold hearted basta.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cold hearted basta....

JohnMichael
09-10-2013, 08:23 AM
I e-mailed Sound Organization (Rega's distributor) about the problems I have had with the adhesive pads. I was told I enjoyed my Planar 2 for a long time and it is time to move on. I mentioned that I think I will move on to a SOTA Satellite. The Satellite will allow me to use my Rega arm to begin with and then buy a different arm board and arm.

Of course he started the sales pitch of why I should stick with Rega. I explained that after buying the new motor and TTPSU I would enjoy my table for a number of years. Then he suggested I buy the P1 and performance pack. I hope he does not think I am keeping the Planar 2 due to being impoverished.

I am turntable shopping and Rega is not one of the choices.

dean_martin
09-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Look at the Traveler from VPI. A price increase may be coming soon so now may be the time to buy a Traveler. From what I've read over at the asylum, it looks like the bugs in the early production runs have been worked out.

JohnMichael
09-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Look at the Traveler from VPI. A price increase may be coming soon so now may be the time to buy a Traveler. From what I've read over at the asylum, it looks like the bugs in the early production runs have been worked out.

Sadly the price increase has happened $1,400 for black and $1,500 for the colors. I do know they work well with Grado cartridges and since I love my Sonata it might be a good match. The Clearaudio Concept is in the same price range as is the SOTA Satellite. I could use my Rega arm with the SOTA. I have read way too many QC issues with the new Rega's.

dean_martin
09-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Sadly the price increase has happened $1,400 for black and $1,500 for the colors. I do know they work well with Grado cartridges and since I love my Sonata it might be a good match. The Clearaudio Concept is in the same price range as is the SOTA Satellite. I could use my Rega arm with the SOTA. I have read way too many QC issues with the new Rega's.
That's sad about the new Rega's. I'm enjoying my P5. It's such a simplistic design I'm not sure how they could screw it up.

JohnMichael
09-10-2013, 04:45 PM
That's sad about the new Rega's. I'm enjoying my P5. It's such a simplistic design I'm not sure how they could screw it up.

I have read about some of the platters not being true. Problems with the three point mounting screws stripping if someone tried to use a spacer. Of course lots of issues with the RP1. Of course I do not know how the people complaining handled the turntable.

JohnMichael
09-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Well I played one side of a record and the magic is back. I did not want to stress the table too much and wanted to let the pad cure a little more. I hope this is a long term fix.

02audionoob
09-10-2013, 07:55 PM
I've already read positive comments about The Sound Organisation. I wonder what the deal is on your experience.

JohnMichael
09-11-2013, 07:11 AM
I've already read positive comments about The Sound Organisation. I wonder what the deal is on your experience.

They are probably helpful with current products. Bryce did not seem interested in my issues. I contacted them mainly for more adhesive pads. I was annoyed with the advice that we never talked about if I would be receiving any pads.

JohnMichael
09-11-2013, 04:49 PM
I received an email and they are going to send me a pad. A always represented singular to me. I do not know if he was going to send a 2 or 3 layer pad. I better hold tight to it if I need it in the future.

emaidel
09-12-2013, 03:53 AM
That any manufacturer would say that you've "had a good run," and "should move on" is flatly outrageous. I bought my Dual CS-5000 about six years ago, and its likely date of manufacture is no later than 1987. That would make it probably 26 years old, assuming it was one of the last ones manufactured.

It still works flawlessly, and the only thing ever needed was a new belt, and a squirt or two of DeOxit at the end of the headshell and the socket of the tonearm into which the headshell fits.

I have no idea how the CS-5000 compares to a Rega Planar-2, but now, have no intention of ever finding out. When customer service from any company is that bad, it's time to run to the hills for someone else.

JohnMichael
09-12-2013, 04:48 AM
Yes I was surprised by the reaction. Considering my problem as I explained it was with their newest motor upgrade. Since I was supporting my table with the latest upgrades to be told it was time to move on was at best frustrating. Thanks for buying the new motor but it is now time to throw it out.

I was listening to vinyl and the motor stayed in place. Sadly I fell asleep last night and the stylus was in the leadout groove for about 3 hours. The motor stayed in place. Of course I am checking the motor's position often. Sadly I will be obsessing over the position for awhile. Now I know when I begin to trust will be about time for the motor to drop.

blackraven
09-12-2013, 06:26 AM
After reading this thread, I will never buy a rega product. If and when I buy a TT it will probably be a Music Hall. When I had questions about my Music Hall CD player, Roy Hall emailed me personally and was very nice and helpful.

JohnMichael
09-12-2013, 07:13 AM
After reading this thread, I will never buy a rega product. If and when I buy a TT it will probably be a Music Hall. When I had questions about my Music Hall CD player, Roy Hall emailed me personally and was very nice and helpful.

I would not count Rega out completely. I do have to keep in mind how dependable the table had been. I did try to mount very new technology into an older product. Instead of buying a current Rega I tried to update a product made long before they ever thought of a rigid mount motor.

I talked to a guy named Bryce at Sound Organization and I think my table predated his knowledge. I tried to explain the pads did not stick well to the chipboard surface. Newer tables have a surface that the pads stick to easily. I think his comments were based more on not knowing what to say so he said the wrong things.

My table does sound good and in part because of the tweaks I have installed. I may be a little attached for that reason. His suggestion to move on may not have been as negative as I first took it.

Jack in Wilmington
09-12-2013, 09:47 AM
I'm sure that his primary idea is to sell you a new table and you can't really blame him for that. I guess there is no 30 day money back guarantee on the Sota since you need to mount the arm. I wouldn't buy Rega because I don't care for the dealer that carries them. My other local dealer carries ProJect and the dealer that carries Music Hall is an hour away.

JohnMichael
09-15-2013, 10:06 AM
As many times as I have had the main bearing and subplatter out of the plinth I have no idea why I forgot to tighten it up this time. The weight of the platter kept it in place but when I checked the belt's position I noticed the nut was on the bearing shaft but not snugged up to the plinth. Everything is tight now.

JohnMichael
09-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Vinyl was spinning last night and all day until now. Friday and Saturday I could not stop listening to music. Both nights it was after 1 AM when I went to bed. Saturday morning I had to be up at 5:15 AM for work.

The motor looks better centered than my earlier attempts. As a matter of fact all the parts and tweaks look better installed. I have decided to enjoy the table and not worry about the motor or wearing out the stylus. If the motor separates then new table and if the stylus is worn out new cartridge but more music.

JohnMichael
09-17-2013, 08:43 AM
I received an email and they are going to send me a pad. A always represented singular to me. I do not know if he was going to send a 2 or 3 layer pad. I better hold tight to it if I need it in the future.

Still laughing after I opened the envelope I received from Sound Organization. Bryce with his 20 years of sales and service experience could not believe I was having troubles. He said he would send me a pad and the motor instructions stated to use the three layer pad. I was sent a totally useless one layer pad. I sent an email that basically said thanks but no thanks.