New Member [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Starmangmh
09-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Just want to say "hello". I haven't had a working sound system in many years so I've been piecing together a start-up system. 4 out 5 components range from '77 to '91 with my only new piece of gear being a Pro-Ject Debut III TT. I have a set of Magnaplanar SMGs that were given to me but are in need of repair, which I'm thinking of trying to do myself with a kit from Magnapan. My primary interest in this group will be probably be Vintage and Planar Speakers but I'm liable to meander through the different groups at some time or another.

Gary

Kenwood KA-650
Mission PCM II
Nakamichi LX-3
Pro-Ject Debut III
Magnaplanar SMG

blackraven
09-06-2013, 04:59 AM
Welcome to AR and to the Planar club.

Starmangmh
09-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Thank you! Decided to send my SMGs back to Magnapan for a full rebuild. Another month of no music!

blackraven
09-08-2013, 03:13 PM
It will be worth the wait. I have to send in one of my old MMG's for repair. It is beginning to develop a bass rattle. Lucky for me that I live about 20 minutes from the Magnepan factory in White Bear Lake, MN.

Starmangmh
09-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Yes, from posts I've read from people who've had it done, sounds like they do a good job! Can't wait to hear these babies in like-new condition!!

20 minutes?? Wow, that's great!

blackraven
09-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Years ago I bought my MMG's direct from the factory to save on shipping. They had a pair of MMG's in their entry connected to a Sony Walkman CD player and a Proton Receiver.

Starmangmh
09-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Wow, what a combination! How did it sound??

blackraven
09-13-2013, 09:50 PM
It sounded great, that was the point of that set up. To show how well the speakers could sound with a cheap source.