Money for nothing: overhyped bands and singers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Money for nothing: overhyped bands and singers

Smokey
09-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Dire Straits did a song called Money For Nothing where he criticize over hyped artists who get "money for nothing and chicks for free". This thread is along those lines :)

Not in any particular order:

Mötley Crüe: In the 80/90s, radio and MTV worship these guys for the reason I could not figure out. And till today, I am still wondering why.

George Thorogood: Its probably me, but most of his songs sound the same to me with same guitar riffs and boring songs.

Cher: She niether have the look nor the voice to get excited about.

Garth Brooks: As one of the best selling country singer, he only had two good songs to his credit. "The Dance" and "If The Morning Never Comes". And that conclude his best songs.

Celine Dion: Song "The Power Of Love" was the only song from her worth listening. The rest of her discography are bubble gum songs.

Bon Jovi: I never heard any songs from these guys that worth listening to. As same with Motley Crue, too much flash and not enough substance.

JoeE SP9
09-06-2013, 06:57 AM
Consider me an army of one. For me Pink Floyd is in the same category. To me they've always sounded like a bunch of mediocre Jazz musicians on an off Tuesday night.

Jack in Wilmington
09-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Consider me an army of one. For me Pink Floyd is in the same category. To me they've always sounded like a bunch of mediocre Jazz musicians on an off Tuesday night.

Good for you Joe. I think that a lot of people are really afraid to say how they really feel about PF, because people hold them in such high esteem. I have two of their CD's and I find them uneven. I see the kind of money Roger Waters tickets get when he is touring and it's insane.

Smokey
09-06-2013, 09:38 PM
I agree that PF albums are not consistent, but they did hit high marks with albums such as Darkside of Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall.

3LB
09-23-2013, 10:57 AM
I don't think George Thorogood was ever terribly over-hyped but was overrated IMO.

My posterchild for being overrated and over-hyped has to be The Doors. Sure, Jim Morrison was the prototypical self-absorbed, self-destructive front man, but they were not as innovative as mag writers and revisionists make them out to be. A handful of decent songs and an enigmatic, brooding front man - style over substance. If Jim Morrison lived long enough to become the bloated drunken flameout he was driving to be, The Doors would be just another band from the '60s. If one of the members of ELP had met an untimely death before they could put out too many mediocre records, then they might have achieved such a fashionable cult status, instead of the nerdy prog status they have now.