Blue Jasmine [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jasmine

dean_martin
09-05-2013, 12:30 PM
The wife and I saw this Sunday afternoon. We had a great day out. Blue Jasmine was the icing on the cake. The script is well written, it's well directed and all the actors performed splendidly. But, the film is definitely a Cate Blanchett vehicle. I've been perplexed since watching it. Although Blanchett's character was falling apart, I felt no sympathy for her, except during one small part of the story. I'd love to hear from others on whether they sympathized with Blanchett's character. She gave a fantastic performance. I'm just not sure whether Woody expected or intended for the audience to sympathize with Jasmine.

I enjoyed seeing Andrew Dice Clay and Louis CK. The pleasant surprise for me was the 2 actors from Boardwalk Empire. If you watch the show, you'll know'em when you see'em in the film.

I didn't do much research on the film before seeing it. But I have seen references to A Street Car Named Desire. Is it a modern day re-telling of Street Car? The similarities are there to be seen.

Worf101
09-10-2013, 07:44 AM
I've heard NOTHING but good if not great things about this movie. But for the life of me the idea of seeing ANYTHING with ADC in it makes my mind shrivel and my resolve disappear. But everyone I've talked to said he gives a great, nuanced perromance. Who knew?

Worf

dean_martin
09-10-2013, 08:42 AM
I've heard NOTHING but good if not great things about this movie. But for the life of me the idea of seeing ANYTHING with ADC in it makes my mind shrivel and my resolve disappear. But everyone I've talked to said he gives a great, nuanced perromance. Who knew?

Worf

ADC and one of the crazier guys from Boardwalk Empire - I won't say who in case you don't know - represent the blue collar/working stiff side in the high-society monied vs. blue collar everyman/woman setup. ADC does fine. Not sure his performance is "nuanced" though. No dirty nursery rhymes or silly gags. He plays it straight and is actually a little reserved and relaxed.