Locking threads vs deleting unwanted replies [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Locking threads vs deleting unwanted replies

Hyfi
08-28-2013, 09:48 AM
I am a little surprised that one of the only active threads on this dead forum was mysteriously locked as opposed to the unhappy moderator just deleting the selected responses he was unhappy with. It's like a little boy getting mad so as to take his ball and go home.

I tried to add a little levity to the thread but it was somehow totally mistaken as a negative post, even with the smiley face.

Locking a thread because you are mad seems to me to be a bit childish. It would be more appropriate in the future, in the way FA just deletes individual replies, to do the same. I was rather enjoying talking about a brand of speakers I like and own, which is very uncommon at this site for me.

I assume this thread will get deleted or locked just the same. Whatever.

We can just go back to seeing the "No new posts, click here to see that NOTHING is happening on this site" message.

ForeverAutumn
08-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Which thread? Can you post the link here? I'd like to see what was said.

Hyfi
08-28-2013, 01:53 PM
I would like to but for me, it appears to be deleted. The keywords and MFG Names do not get any hits.

ForeverAutumn
08-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Well, not being able to see the thread in question, I can't comment with regards to whether it should have been locked, edited, or something else. But I can say that deleting and editing individual posts is time consuming and sometimes very frustrating for a mod. John and I both have busy lives and sometimes it's just easier to shut a thread down if it's not being productive.

I've been criticized for deleting and editing posts. So we can't win either way.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Well, not being able to see the thread in question, I can't comment with regards to whether it should have been locked, edited, or something else. But I can say that deleting and editing individual posts is time consuming and sometimes very frustrating for a mod. John and I both have busy lives and sometimes it's just easier to shut a thread down if it's not being productive.

I've been criticized for deleting and editing posts. So we can't win either way.

You cannot make all people happy, so don't bother trying. This individual has a history of criticising the moderation when they don't like how they operate, or when their action affects voicing their opinion. When you have been a moderator, you understand there are those with a legit beef, and those just looking for something to complain about.

JohnMichael
09-16-2013, 07:02 PM
I have had members request that a thread where they were the original posters be deleted. Since they begun the thread I honored their wishes. I recently deleted a few threads I was the OP. As the OP and not liking where the threads were going I asked myself to delete them.