someone please help me sort through this mess [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : someone please help me sort through this mess

njanigian
08-21-2013, 06:51 AM
Hello all, First let me introduce myself. My name is Nick and I am new here, so please give me the benefit of the doubt when I say that for the most part I have little idea what I'm doing and the fact that I have this pile of stuff to sort out is a series of coincidences that I will spare you the details of. I have an emotive "mini" amplifier, a technics sl v5 linear tracking vertical turntable, a pair of JBL 4311 control monitors, a klipsch promedia 5.1? 4 speaker set with subwoofer that has an amplifier built in and uses two aux outputs that I have to combine in an aux splitter, and an altec lansing 2 speaker set with subwoofer that has an amplifier built in as well. My first question is about the JBL's. These are the most sentimental pieces out of everything due to them belonging to my late father. They sound "fine" (great sound on some types of music and not so good on others). The biggest problem with them is one of the speakers (could be both although I doubt it) has difficulty with a certain frequency of bass. The music I found that sets it off the most is bass from red hot chili peppers music. Some bass sounds fine except for a certain level that bears a dullness like a crackling sound. I was told by someone that the speakers need re-coned, and that I should do both speakers at once so they sound even. It is safe to assume these speakers have never been re coned before. My other question is whether or not I could use something like this to use all three combinations at once mazon.com: Belkin RockStar 5-Way 3.5-mm Headphone Splitter (White): Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-RockStar-3-5-mm-Headphone-Splitter/dp/B0017PG8KS) . My reluctance is that both the altec and the klipsch sets have their own amplifiers whereas the jbls and emotive are separate. I don't want to screw up or fry anything, but I assume as soon as it gets to the aux cord it's a non issue? Any advice anyone could shed on these would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Nick

Mr Peabody
08-21-2013, 02:01 PM
The Klipsch and possibly the Altec are made for computer use and probably should be set aside. Either get the JBL re-coned or get another set of decent speakers. I've heard of the 4311's though and they may be well worth fixing. I personally would not try rigging up the Klipsch or Altec to the system.

twc644
10-12-2013, 06:58 AM
Just curious...how old are the JBL's ? If they are old speakers it could be the crossover network inside them might need repair or the solder joints may need to be re-flowed.Follow Mr.Peabody's advice.

blackraven
10-12-2013, 09:51 PM
This link may help with the JBL's-

4310, 4311, 4312 Studio Monitors | Speaker ExchangeSpeaker Exchange (http://reconingspeakers.com/2011/02/20/4310-4311-4312-studio-monitors/)

tooloveying
10-14-2013, 05:52 AM
or the solder joints may need to be re-flowed.Follow Mr.Peabody's advice.http://www.ximi.us/usa/images/28.gif

mjtab
10-24-2013, 02:45 PM
I owned the 4312 which is the 4311 turn upside down. They are old studio monitors and things have changed in monitors since then. Being monitors, the bass is controlled but not boomy, and maybe even lightweight. Overall I found the sound not very inviting for a speaker that was king in their day. I'd keep yours for sentimental reasons. You could better sound from them if you choose better amplification from an amp like a Bryston 3B or a modern tube amp.