Is there any reason for me to still buy and Oppo? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is there any reason for me to still buy and Oppo?

Worf101
08-20-2013, 08:19 AM
When I bought my first Oppo DVD player, the 983 I think, and later my Oppo BDP 83 (or 93), I knew I was getting a superior product over the junk that was out there. Now I'm not so sure. Is the Oppo 103 worth $300 more dollars over this?

?Sony's BDP-S5100 - Everything I Need: Fast Blu-ray Loading, Impressive WiFi Speed and Streaming Quality? - imagic?s Review of Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi (http://www.avsforum.com/products/sony-bdp-s5100-3d-blu-ray-disc-player-with-wi-fi/reviews/4235?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email)

Or other good mid-level Blu-ray players in the $150 to $200 range? The Oppo just doens't make sense to me anymore. You can't get em used, they're NEVER "on sale" and I've ripped all my music in WAV to my computer HD upstairs. For all the formats it offers I hardly if EVER use them so someone... ANYONE give me a reason to stay with Oppo besides loyalty?

Worf

Hyfi
08-20-2013, 08:45 AM
The best Customer Support you can get in a player is one.
Superior build quality over mass market Chinese junk
Plays any kind of file you can throw at it, just about and if it does not stream, it plays off USB
Pandora sounds really good via my 2 OPPO 93s
Good and easy firmware updating via net
I guess the 103s have built in wifi, I like the dongle so I can move it for best reception
Many dedicated forum threads with Q$A for almost any question or issue with each model.

That is 7 good reasons

Just try and get help from Sony within a half hour of your email or call when it fails to perform properly.

Feanor
08-20-2013, 08:58 AM
A few years ago I bought an Oppo DVD, (before Blu-ray became a factor), the think worked well but then quit after just over year, i.e. when the warranty had expired. Sending it for repair would have required cross-border shipping which is usually a hassle.

Oppo models have gone up & up in price and are no longer of interest to me.

markw
08-20-2013, 09:21 AM
I dunno. If I need multi-channel analog audio outs, then I would say yes.

But, if that's not a concern, I've been running a Sony S580 for about two years and a tiny S390 for almost as long and they both deliver a stunning picture and an astounding number of great sounding and looking Internet Apps as well.

But, the Oppo does have a great reputation and is the undisputed darling of the audio/video crowd.

Worf101
08-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Well, I've two Oppo's currently and they've both been bullet proof so far (knock wood). Yeah Oppo's support is top notch and they make even bad vids look good. The bottom line is I want to start streaming vids. I either have to replace the Blu-Ray, receiver or TV to get that. TV's not an option as it has my Onkyo has no capacity to take sound back via HDMI. That mean's either a new receiver or a new Blu-Ray... I'll let you know what I decide.

Thanks for the love...

Worf

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-20-2013, 05:34 PM
I know this is going to be heresy, but I just purchased a Sony BDP-S790 and put it through a battery of tests - and I have come to the conclusion that it performs all functions(except DVD-A) as good as my Oppo's. The video is on par, the audio on Bluray is pretty similar to these ears, streaming is actually better IMO, and the 3D is basically on par with the Oppo.

I love my Oppo's, but now I believe it has competition at price point a bit lower than it.

blackraven
08-20-2013, 05:35 PM
I think that if you also want a decent SACD player then the oppo makes sense. I am dealing with the same issue. Since Blockbuster closed near me, I have no reason to have a BRP. I need to replace my Sony BDP300 which is painfully sloooooooooooooooow! I may just buy one of the new sony's or pioneers that plays SACD. I have also been interested in the very few BR audio disc's.

markw
08-20-2013, 06:15 PM
True. SACD is a concern. Fortunately, I still have a Denon 1940 CI universal (aside from SACD) player that I keep in my system specifically for those few SACDs I do have. It also does a heckuva job upconverting DVDs, but not better than my Sonys.

Hyfi
08-21-2013, 02:25 AM
Does Sony still make you buy a separate proprietary Wireless Adapter for $90 after you just bought a player?

markw
08-21-2013, 03:16 AM
Does Sony still make you buy a separate proprietary Wireless Adapter for $90 after you just bought a player?Seriously, no. Both came with wireless capability built-in.

...but the Panasonic I bought originally (many problems - don't ask) did come with an included dongle, at no extra xcharge.

Hyfi
08-21-2013, 03:23 AM
Seriously, no. Both came with wireless capability built-in.

...but the Panasonic I bought originally (many problems - don't ask) did come with an included dongle, at no extra xcharge.

Thats good, not sure of model but I helped a friend setup a sony DVD player 2 years ago and he had to buy the adapter separately, which I saw as a complete ripoff.

I would have to say that the only 2 things I do not like about my OPPOs are the time it takes to load and read any type of disk and the navigation of folders/files over DNLA.

Just why does it take so long to load a disk in the OPPOs?

markw
08-21-2013, 04:08 AM
Thats good, not sure of model but I helped a friend setup a sony DVD player 2 years ago and he had to buy the adapter separately, which I saw as a complete ripoff.That would be a ripoff, but I think that that "wireless" thing has evolved from an extra-cost feature a few years ago into nowadays where it's a standard feature once you reach a certain price level.

I think it was worded as "wifi CAPABLE" as opposed to "wifi READY", or some such senmantic mumbo-jumbo. They all played that game back then, not just Sony.

Worf101
08-23-2013, 12:18 PM
I know this is going to be heresy, but I just purchased a Sony BDP-S790 and put it through a battery of tests - and I have come to the conclusion that it performs all functions(except DVD-A) as good as my Oppo's. The video is on par, the audio on Bluray is pretty similar to these ears, streaming is actually better IMO, and the 3D is basically on par with the Oppo.

I love my Oppo's, but now I believe it has competition at price point a bit lower than it.

One word.... CRIKEY!!!!

When a die-hard Oppo fan like you says a Sony's as good and a better value... Whew! I guess my instincts were just about right.

Worf

blackraven
08-23-2013, 02:34 PM
I have had my eye on the Sony 790 and these Pioneer 52FD and 62FD players as well as the cheaper BDP-150 and 140

Elite Blu-ray Disc Players | Pioneer Electronics USA (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Blu-ray-Disc/Elite-Blu-ray-Disc-Players)

Pioneer Blu-ray Disc Players | Pioneer Electronics USA (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Blu-ray-Disc/Pioneer-Blu-ray-Disc-Players)

The Pioneers have gotten some good reviews

Jack in Wilmington
08-23-2013, 03:13 PM
I like the looks of the 62FD. I'll try to find some reviews on it. That would replace my Panasonic BluRay and my Denon SACD/DVD-A player.

RoyY51
08-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Thats good, not sure of model but I helped a friend setup a sony DVD player 2 years ago and he had to buy the adapter separately, which I saw as a complete ripoff.

I would have to say that the only 2 things I do not like about my OPPOs are the time it takes to load and read any type of disk and the navigation of folders/files over DNLA.

Just why does it take so long to load a disk in the OPPOs?

Actually, it takes just long enough for me to turn on the ambient lighting, turn off the overhead light, locate the remote, sit down, kick my feet up, and exhale a huge sigh of anticipation...to the second!