This receiver is very confusing. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : This receiver is very confusing.

420benz
08-19-2013, 06:31 AM
It is a 7-1 and I have a 5-1. There's too many settings to chose from.All I want is here sound from all 5 speakers ( even if it is not surround sound.) Also this receiver doesn't seem to have an A or B setting to allow me to separate inside speakers from the 2 in my screen room.

markw
08-19-2013, 08:27 AM
These are not your simple intuitive two channel analog receivers of the olden days. These are computers that make sounds. Your best bet is to become very familiar with your owners manual.

As for sound out of all speakers, well, some movies don't really utilize the surrounds too much. If you manage to get test tones (I imagine your unit does these) from all five speakers, you're set up correctly for movies.

As for music out of all speakers, look for something like "all channel stereo" or something in your owners manual. That will send "fake" multi-channel signals to the center and surrounds when playing two channel material.

And, yes, the good old A/B speaker switch is now a thing of the past on most receivers. That's been replaced by multiple zones, which is less useful, more complex, but apparantly cheaper to manufacture.

Again, get very friendly with your owners manual. You're gonna need it.

420benz
08-19-2013, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the info. I will keep reading the manual.