Any Stars fans here? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any Stars fans here?

Snowbunny
08-17-2013, 04:19 PM
On one of my music buying binges, I decided to buy all (I think) of their cds.

So far, I've only unwrapped Heart, and I'm really enjoying it. Not sure why I started with that album. Maybe it was the song What the Snowman Learned About Love. :D

The story of the band seems quite convoluted, but isn't there some connection with Broken Social Scene?

Snowie

(Weird, just going through the stack ofunwrapped Stars cds, and found a cd I don't remember buying - FUN - Some Nights. But it features Janelle Monae, and I like her, so that's kinda fun.)

MasterCylinder
08-19-2013, 04:33 AM
found a cd I don't remember buying

Snow sweetie :
I'm concerned about you; have you heard of the 12 steps ?

Hyfi
08-19-2013, 04:58 AM
Hello Ms Bunny. Hope all is well at the base of the mountain.

Except for a band or two, I have never heard of the rest of your collection but glad your enjoying it all.

Jim Clark
08-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Well, yeah, I'm a pretty big fan. Amy Milan is an on and off again part of the BSS collective but the Stars stuff has a decidedly synth-pop feel to it, unlike BSS. I have all of their records since my favorite, Set Yourself On Fire. IMO, that and the latest, The North, are far and away the best. Have fun listening through their catalog!

jc

Snowbunny
08-20-2013, 08:47 PM
Snow sweetie :
I'm concerned about you; have you heard of the 12 steps ?

No, are they a British band? (I'll let you provide the rim shot.) ;)

Snowbunny
08-20-2013, 08:58 PM
:rolleyes5:
Hello Ms Bunny. Hope all is well at the base of the mountain.

Except for a band or two, I have never heard of the rest of your collection but glad your enjoying it all.

Hi uh... fi! :)

Once in a blue moon, I check in here, but mostly it seems like I'm talking to myself. :rolleyes5:

Wow, are you getting the sidebar ad for debt repayment program? :yikes: Methinks the lady has assets, but they are not financial!

Anyway, nice of you to drop in and not state the obvious coughpityclickcough.

Snowie

Snowbunny
08-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Well, yeah, I'm a pretty big fan. Amy Milan is an on and off again part of the BSS collective but the Stars stuff has a decidedly synth-pop feel to it, unlike BSS. I have all of their records since my favorite, Set Yourself On Fire. IMO, that and the latest, The North, are far and away the best. Have fun listening through their catalog!

jc

Hi Jim,

That's the connection! There's that song that runs through my head, "used to be one of the ... something something" and that chorus continues to repeat throughout the song. Its Amy singing, but I think its a BSS song. I know, that's not particularly helpful.

I realized that I did open Set Yourself On Fire first, as it is supposed to be their seminal album. But it was the buzz about North that prompted me to pick up the entire catalogue.

I was going to take them on chronologically, but I think I will just put them all on shuffle and see what hits the spot.

Nice chatting with you again!

Snowie

Hyfi
08-21-2013, 02:22 AM
:rolleyes5:

Hi uh... fi! :)

Once in a blue moon, I check in here, but mostly it seems like I'm talking to myself. :rolleyes5:

Wow, are you getting the sidebar ad for debt repayment program? :yikes: Methinks the lady has assets, but they are not financial!

Anyway, nice of you to drop in and not state the obvious coughpityclickcough.

Snowie

I would say most times you are talking to yourself. I never have a clue what bands you are talking about so it's kind of useless to respond.

LOL, my sidebar ads are more about ways to spend my money.

Nice to hear from you and glad to hear all is well up there in Yukon territory. The closest I got was Seattle 2 years ago, which was awesome.

Cheers!

3LB
09-18-2013, 06:01 AM
I own the last two Stars CDs - yes, very synth pop and the occassional wince inducing song, but good songcraft. Dead Hearts (off of The Five Ghosts) is an example of the really good stuff, while We Don't Want Your Body off the same album is tweeny bopper fluff.

Jim Clark
09-24-2013, 06:27 AM
So, did you enjoy your tour of Stars as much as you'd hoped? I listened to The North during my run (jog?, flailing?) yesterday and Set Yourself on Fire while I mowed last night. Still like them both as much as I did, which is always nice to discover. There's an earnestness to most of those tracks that's just compelling.