Garden State - Wish I Was Here [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Garden State - Wish I Was Here

Snowbunny
08-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Feeling nostalgic after watching the totally awesome movie Garden State, 2004.

Zach Braff took pride in introducing some up-and-coming indie bands to the masses on the soundtrack, but if I remember correctly, I discovered most of those new bands here on this forum.

I was already exposed to The Shins - New Slang, and Caring is Crazy, The Thievery Corporation - Lebanese Blonde and Iron & Wine - Such Great Heights, by the time I saw the movie.

Now, I am one of the Kickstarter investors on Braff's new movie, Wish I Was Here, and I'm still not cool enough to come up with predictions for fresh music for the movie's soundtrack.

Anyone care to make a suggestion? I'm sure the people involved in choosing the soundtrack will be scouring the web for ideas, and perhaps google will direct them here.

After perusing Davey's post for his Half-Gone 2013, I see some unfamiliar artists that are definitely worthy of further investigation.

Much love & affection to my old (and young-at-heart) RR Buddies,

Snowbunny

Davey
08-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Anyone care to make a suggestion? I'm sure the people involved in choosing the soundtrack will be scouring the web for ideas, and perhaps google will direct them here.

Movie producer now, eh? That's cool. Something from the new Julia Holter record would be my pick. So many different images as it unfolds, hard to make a call yet on song since I'm barely on the second listen, but Maxim II knocked me out on the first listen, and this record feels like it will get a lot of attention. Quite adventurous too, so she can get to the younger "pitchfork" indie-elitist crowd, and also appeal strongly to the "more mature" listeners that just want some quality music that doesn't sound too much like a copy of something done a thousand times before.

Looks like some good scores so far at metacritic, so will probably get some good attention for her. Here's a quickie review from exclaim.ca ...

Julia Holter - Loud City Song • Pop & Rock Reviews • exclaim.ca (http://exclaim.ca/Reviews/PopAndRock/julia_holter-loud_city_song)

By Jazz Monroe .. Score: 9

Julia Holter's third LP (following 2011's Tragedy, which was based on the Ancient Greek play Hippolytus, and the timeless Ekstasis) finds its muse in contemporary '50s cinema. Ostensibly a straightforward, heel-clicking MGM musical, Gigi (the muse) strikes the modern viewer as a kind of accidental horror: in marrying Gaston Lachaille, a sultry and unreliable (if very rich) celebrity, the titular adolescent shamelessly punctures her nonconformist passion and learns to idolize her villainously bourgeois, elitist aunt. Beneath the glitzy surface there's a glossed-over disquiet that likewise pervades Loud City Song, a record whose eerie lulls and sudden crescendos are designed to emulate swarming paparazzi. Throughout, Gigi's narrative is more or less unmistakeable, although far from integral to the record's brilliance. Most vividly, Loud City Song evokes the easy, tingling drift of early Robert Wyatt. "Maxim II" flutters and peaks with a ferociously visceral sax solo, while "This is a True Heart" is so deliciously sprightly it performs the unlikely coup of surpassing Broadcast's finest work, in regards to magnetism and ethereal quality. Like Gaston Lachaille, whose sensational wealth somehow titillates the public, Holter is mysteriously glorious and fascinating in ways her pool of admirers cannot fully comprehend.
(Domino)

markw
08-18-2013, 10:57 AM
It looks better from a distance.

Snowbunny
08-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Talk about being on the cutting edge of new music. That album isn't scheduled to be released until Tuesday. :confused5:

Although her voice is stunning, I was a little confused to read that she was born in LA, as she sounds a little bit French when she sings.

How fascinating that her inspiration for the album was my absolutely favourite classic movie, Gigi! Perhaps that's why there is a European flavour to her song, Maxim II.

Gigi is certainly "bombarded by the loudness of gossip", as described by Holter, when she walks into the swank French nightclub on Gaston's arm, and they are initially met by the crowd's stunned silence, which is quickly filled with the roar of judgemental gossip.

Good call on many levels, Davey!

If I had taken the time to read the entire Kickstarter page for Wish I Was Here, I would have realized that if I invested a little more, one of the perks would have been advance access to the soundtrack.

As it is, for my $10, I get email updates on the movie's progress, and the increase in status being a movie producer provides. :rolleyes5:

Snowbunny
08-18-2013, 11:04 AM
It looks better from a distance.

Ha Ha! Took me a minute, but I get it now. Good one!

Congrats to Newark, NJ for making it to #1 on the list of the most unfriendly cities in the world!

Davey
08-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Talk about being on the cutting edge of new music. That album isn't scheduled to be released until Tuesday.

Well, a couple of us around here, namely me and jonnyhambone, were big fans of the last one so have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of this new one, and so yea, I might be a little early, and may be guilty of impatiently listening to a leak (definitely on my must buy list though), but hardly the cutting edge :)

If you get the chance, the opening "Marienbad", and later "Für Felix" are both gems from the last one, Ekstasis. But the whole record has a really nice atmospheric flow.

http://forums.audioreview.com/rave-recordings/so-anything-good-2012-yet-37759-2.html#post385232

Snowbunny
08-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Zach's last email included a video in which he revealed that there would be a cameo by none other than Rowdy! Scrubs fans need not google. :)

And background music in the video was . . . MUSE - a song which includes the lyrics, We shall be victorious! No idea if it will make it on the soundtrack.

Snowbunny
08-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Anyone heard of the band, Mutemath or its singer, Paul Meany?

It looks like there might be a lovely little song by Meany, called Steal My Thoughts on the soundtrack.