Mcintosh MC 2300 300/300 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mcintosh MC 2300 300/300

sgstudster1796
08-16-2013, 10:18 AM
I have the above amp hooked to 2 Klipsch Corner speakers, the question I have is wondering if I can combine my Surround receiver Yamaha RX-V571 hooked to 2 KLH T1b, along with 5 Cambridge sound satellite speakers, no sub. The 2 systems work great separately but wanted to put them together and just wanted to make sure Im not going to overload either system. I would like to use the Klipsch for music and the other system for surround. or if possible use everything at once? Any advice would help!!

E-Stat
08-17-2013, 06:15 AM
...or if possible use everything at once? Any advice would help!!
The short answer is "no" with that receiver. It's not a matter of overloading anything - rather the necessary connectivity. What you need is the ability to separate the pre and power amp sections via pre-out/main-in jacks. Having those would allow you to use the 2300 for the front two channels.

On the other hand, if your Klipsch "corner" speakers are Klipshorns, using 300 watts with them is gross overkill. Their efficiency allows them to be driven by 5 to 20 watt tube amps and still provide high output levels. Paul Klipsch was famous for saying "What this country needs is a good five watt amplifier".

While the Mac amp was made famous itself by its use by the Grateful Dead in the "Wall of Sound" (http://welcometonow.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/50688268_ab08d3c1da_o.jpg)system (you can see one in the background) back in the 70s, I believe the Yamaha would most likely sound just as good today on Khorns. Unless you have an emotional attachment to the amp, perhaps its time to retire it. Or get a receiver with the necessary connections.