Replacement for 34-year old Wharfedales? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for 34-year old Wharfedales?

Raiden616
08-10-2013, 04:51 AM
Howdy all.

My Dad's pair of 34-year old Wharfedale Linton speakers are, he thinks, finally on the way out.

I would like to replace them for him, but given that I know absolutely NOTHING about speakers or audio systems, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a model of speakers that can give him equal or greater sound quality.

Some tips about what to look for would also be fantastic - I'm very up on tech so don't worry about dumbing anything down.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

harley .guy07
08-10-2013, 06:11 AM
Well if he is already a fan of the Wharfedale brand then I would look at some of their current offerings and see if there is anything that interests him. I am not sure being that I've never heard older Wharfedale or the newer ones to know if they have the same sound character. Really with out knowing what characteristics of sound are important to him and also knowing what kind of music he listens to it would be hard to narrow it done to one speaker. There are so many brands out there now and many are very good. Also knowing the budget for speakers would be helpful since depending on the budget would be what brands and models would be possible. Given those questions answered I believe with everyone on here we could come up with a list of possible candidates to go listen to.

Mr Peabody
08-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Also, what electronics is he using? Current Wharfedale is a good direction, you might also take a look at Golden Ear which is relatively new brand designed by an industry veteran, the Golden Ear are getting rave reviews, they have both passive and original versions with built in amp for bass plus DSP.

harley .guy07
08-10-2013, 03:02 PM
I have only read about the bigger Golden Ear speakers like the Triton 2 which are rated excellently for their cost and don't know much about their smaller towers but if they are anything like their big brothers I would think they would be an excellent choice for someone looking for something new and Golden Ear uses a lot of today's technology to design and build their speakers so they might surprise you on what they are capable of.

blackraven
08-10-2013, 05:18 PM
First off, what is your budget and what amp or receiver does he have and what is its power rating?