Looking for advice on vinyl setup [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on vinyl setup

surfindude686
08-06-2013, 05:19 PM
So i have a fairly large collection of vinyl but the record player and speakers belonged to my ex so now i need some advice on what speakers and amp will be best for me. I dont know much because ive only used a cheap usb turntable with a build in amp and some krk's. My friend gave me a numark TT-1625 (not sure if that matters) and i looked it up and need an amp with a phono preamp and a ground. Im willing to spend up to 600$ or 700$ for everything but im wondering if i will notice a difference between 300$ krks and something a little more expensive? This system will be used most likely exclusively for vinyl if that matters. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JohnMichael
08-06-2013, 05:48 PM
I would like to give advice but what are KRK's. Some may know some may not and it is always best to spell things out.

surfindude686
08-06-2013, 06:25 PM
krk is the brand they were the rokit 6 model. They sounded awesome! I might just get the same ones but would like to know if anyones has any other suggestions.

JoeE SP9
08-08-2013, 02:49 PM
The fact that there has been little response to your query about KRK speakers should tell you something. Few or no responses means they weren't very popular. With speakers the more popular ones are usually the better sounding ones.

Of course if you think they sound "awesome" maybe they're the ones for you. I suggest you listen to a sampling of the more popular speakers and/or as many as you can. Then, whatever you choose will be based on an informed decision.

Whether they will be used for mostly vinyl or not isn't relevant. A speaker is either good or bad. It has nothing to do with the source.

Mr Peabody
08-08-2013, 05:00 PM
KRK are not well known around here because they are more of a pro or DJ speaker.

You could always go the used route and pick up a vintage stereo receiver with phono input, check the back to make sure the ground screw is there which is a sign the receiver has the phono stage built in. I'm not sure if phono built in but you might also look new at NAD or Cambridge Audio integrated amps, these would have quality sound but not real high power. They would work with a nice efficient speaker though. You can also find Adcom or Parasound separates used for not much money that would provide a big bang for the buck.

I would recommend checking out Wharfdale or Energy for good performing budget speakers. Maybe even Monitor Audio Bronze. These types of home speakers would provide a listener with more imaging and detail over something like the KRK but the KRK would provide more thump if that's the priority, as well as something like Cerwin Vega.

Really there are a lot of options but it depends on you, you said vinyl but what type of music and how loud you like it. Also, don't get hung up on the fact you play LP's, a stereo should sound good no matter the source. Hope this helps some.

StevenSurprenant
08-09-2013, 03:55 AM
Im willing to spend up to 600$ or 700$ for everything...

At the moment, my system is all vinyl and I am very pleased with the sound.

I am using an ART USB Phono Plus phono preamp ($79.95) and a 40 watt Yaqin MS-13s tube amp ($495).

My speakers are DIY'ers, and with the above pieces, the result is...

A deep and wide soundstage.
Extreme clarity even with the quietest sounds.
Images in the soundstage are very well defined.

I have never been more satisfied!

So, as long as you don't mind tubes and no remote, then this might work for you in the price range you mentioned.

BTW, I am using an Audio Technica AT120E. It is a very good cartridge.

Addendum:

I just realized that the speakers you mentioned are powered, so you don't need an amp.

However, this leads to another possibility. The ART phono preamp that I mentioned has a volume control so that will work with these speakers. Nothing more is needed.

You already have the turntable so the KRK ROKIT 6 + the ART could get you up and running. Total cost would be $200 for the speakers and $80 for the phono preamp = $280. The only question that comes to mind about this configuration is whether the ART can be turned low enough. I don't know. I did try it with mine and it does reduce the volume considerably.