Do Dogs go to heaven? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do Dogs go to heaven?

Smokey
08-03-2013, 06:42 PM
Authenticity of these photos are in question, so may have to take it with grain of salt.

A Catholic church and a Presbyterian church across the street from each other put up signs debating whether Dogs go to heaven or not.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf93clp5oK1qzeqvn.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf93cpnBqY1qzeqvn.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf93dmPIzH1qzeqvn.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf93dsbiff1qzeqvn.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf93dzJl1h1qzeqvn.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf93e50bWr1qzeqvn.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf93ebEMKM1qzeqvn.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf93ei8CzJ1qzeqvn.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf93eqS96s1qzeqvn.jpg

No Fate But What We Make ? Two churches located across the street from each other. At least the Catholics have a sense of humor. (http://trilliansthoughts.tumblr.com/post/56379573415/two-churches-located-across-the-street-from-each-other)

StevenSurprenant
08-03-2013, 07:22 PM
That is too funny. If my dog isnt in heaven then I don't want to go there.

Smokey
08-03-2013, 07:45 PM
That is too funny. If my dog isnt in heaven then I don't want to go there.

Your comment remind of a scene from All In The Family sitcom:

(After Archie kills a fly that landed on Mike's arm)
Mike: Arch, you killed a fly. One of God's creatures.
Archie: Oh, don't give me that. Animals and insects don't count. They ain't got no souls.
Mike: So they can't get into heaven.
Archie: That's right. Who would want to go to heaven if it was full of flies and dogs? You might as well stay in New York.

LLLOOOOOLLLLLLL :D

ForeverAutumn
08-04-2013, 06:27 AM
Well I know one thing...If I were looking for a church, I sure as hell (:devil:) wouldn't pick the Presbyterian one!

JohnMichael
08-05-2013, 04:18 AM
Of course dogs go to heaven. They are pure of heart and full of love. People who abuse animals do not go to heaven.

Smokey
08-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Of course dogs go to heaven. They are pure of heart and full of love.

If dogs go to heaven, then the same argument can be made that all Gods creature go to heaven including undesire ones like roaches, ticks and mosquitoes, snakes and rats. I mean where do we draw the line?

And another thought of argument is that dogs appeal to us on earth due to our body's desire for love, effection and companionship. But in heaven, our soul seek differenet kind of desires. So no dogs are needed.

I'm not a scholar and these are just some thoughts that crossed my mind :)

blackraven
08-05-2013, 03:46 PM
If dogs go to heaven, then the same argument can be made that all Gods creature go to heaven including undesire ones like roaches, ticks and mosquitoes, snakes and rats. I mean where do we draw the line?

And another thought of argument is that dogs appeal to us on earth due to our body's desire for love, effection and companionship. But in heaven, our soul seek differenet kind of desires. So no dogs are needed.

I guess you have not seen the movie- All Dogs Go To Heaven Part 1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiRcTj7xleY)

But seriously, no one knows the truth and even if there is a heaven. If you believe that we are all gods creatures, then why not all animals. I have to believe that my dogs have a soul. They have an unlimited capacity for love, they are loyal to the point that they would give their lives for me, they are honest and they are highly empathic. They are also individuals, they are intelligent and have their own unique personalities. The have a need for love and companionship and will give it back to you in turn. I would say that more than 90% of the human population can not live up to those standards.

I will be greatly disappointed if my dogs do not great me in heaven.
The Rainbow Bridge- Rainbow Bridge Poem - Petloss.com (http://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm)

Petloss.com - Dogs In Heaven? (http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/dogshevn.htm)

Pet loss - Dogs Don't Have Souls, Do They? (http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/dogsdont.htm)

Pet loss com - Rainbow sends me a Rainbow (http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbow.htm)

Pet Loss - Poem List (http://www.petloss.com/poems/poems.htm)

Now for a lighter moment. Why do dogs lick their private parts?

JohnMichael
08-05-2013, 04:44 PM

Jesus taught us that our reward will be in Heaven and not to look for it on earth. If Corky is not in Heaven I am not getting my reward. Besides I think my human Corky will love my canine Corky.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Jesus taught us that our reward will be in Heaven and not to look for it on earth. If Corky is not in Heaven I am not getting my reward. Besides I think my human Corky will love my canine Corky.

JM, Jesus said "Greater is your reward in heaven", not that you will not have rewards down here on earth. If all of our rewards were in heaven, Jesus would not have ever said "I come that you might have life more abundantly".

I would like to think that Ernesto, Pepper2, and Bohdi are apart of my abundant life down here on this earth. My boys love me unconditionally just like I love Jesus unconditionally. That in and of itself should get them into heaven.

Since animal ownership was non-existant(much like gay marriage) back when the Bible was written, it mentions nothing about animals and heaven. However since God created animals, I like to think he made provision for them to go to heaven just like us.

JohnMichael
08-06-2013, 04:51 AM
There was a Twilight Zone episode where a gentleman died and after death he and his dog were out walking. He came up to a gate and they were encouraging him to enter. His dog was agitated and they told him dogs were not allowed. He decided to keep walking. He came to another area and they welcomed him. He asked about his dog and of course he was welcome. The old man was under the impression the first place was heaven. They corrected him and he realized his dog kept him from making a bad decision. I want my dog with me to keep me out of trouble.

Feanor
08-06-2013, 05:54 PM
I guess you have not seen the movie- All Dogs Go To Heaven Part 1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiRcTj7xleY)

But seriously, no one knows the truth and even if there is a heaven. If you believe that we are all gods creatures, then why not all animals. I have to believe that my dogs have a soul. They have an unlimited capacity for love, they are loyal to the point that they would give their lives for me, they are honest and they are highly empathic. They are also individuals, they are intelligent and have their own unique personalities. The have a need for love and companionship and will give it back to you in turn. I would say that more than 90% of the human population can not live up to those standards.

I will be greatly disappointed if my dogs do not great me in heaven.

I have admitted this here before: I grieved more when our last dog died than when my mother died a couple of years later. Some people thought this was a reprehensible admission .

My mother was old and in declining health after a pretty good life; her time had come. We expected the dog to live several more year but he died unexpectedly of cancer. Maybe that had something to do with it but dogs have a simple innocence that people do not.

StevenSurprenant
08-09-2013, 06:08 AM
In some movies they talk about people greatest fears. After some thought, I decided my greatest fear was having to choose life or death for those I care about, but my choice meant that one person would live and another would die.

For instance, if I were on a boat that was sinking in the middle of the ocean and my very elderly mother and my dog, both whom I love, were going down and I could save only one of them, who would it be?

I believe the average person would choose their mother for one reason or another, but for a person who loves their dog, it would be a hard choice, hard enough that they would hesitate before choosing. Either choice would lead to a lifetime of grief and regret.

After a lifetime of pondering this question, I still can't choose. If I had the third option of giving up my life so that they both could live, that would be my choice.

JohnMichael
08-09-2013, 06:31 AM
I would save the one who is most loving and caring to me. Yes I am saving the dog.

ForeverAutumn
08-09-2013, 07:07 AM

That's an easy one. Roaches, ticks, mosquitos, and all creepy crawlies are evil and therefore destined for hell. There are NO insects in MY heaven. Snakes and rats are allowed...but only if domesticated and only if the snakes promise not to eat the rats. :)

Hyfi
08-09-2013, 08:06 AM
So let me get this straight, if you believe, then your dog goes to heaven. Does your dog still go to heaven if you don't believe? Obviously if you don't believe, you are wrong so I guess the dog still gets to go but never sees you again.

JohnMichael
08-09-2013, 08:54 AM
So let me get this straight, if you believe, then your dog goes to heaven. Does your dog still go to heaven if you don't believe? Obviously if you don't believe, you are wrong so I guess the dog still gets to go but never sees you again.

If heaven exists it does not matter if you believe or not. If heaven does not exist wishing so will not create it. I am aware of the spiritual state we will be in after death. Since I remain a physical being for some years to come it is a comfort to my existence to think of my dog at my side.

Hyfi
08-09-2013, 09:01 AM
If heaven exists it does not matter if you believe or not. If heaven does not exist wishing so will not create it. I am aware of the spiritual state we will be in after death. Since I remain a physical being for some years to come it is a comfort to my existence to think of my dog at my side.

Oh OK, I thought Jesus (or someone) said that you had to believe in him and be born again to have eternal life. Am I getting that wrong? Eternal Life = Heaven

And like in Left Behind, you will get sucked out of your clothes and running car, while it crashes driverless into me being left behind.

It can't be both ways, unless you believe it can.

What if I am stuck in Limbo?

JohnMichael
08-09-2013, 09:21 AM
The human soul is immortal. When you speak of Jesus and christianity you are only thinking of one religion. There are many more religions in the world. I find it difficult to believe that people who do not believe in Jesus will not be welcome in the next life. Heaven or consciousness or whatever you choose to call it.

Hyfi
08-09-2013, 09:29 AM
The human soul is immortal. When you speak of Jesus and christianity you are only thinking of one religion. There are many more religions in the world. I find it difficult to believe that people who do not believe in Jesus will not be welcome in the next life. Heaven or consciousness or whatever you choose to call it.

I am just asking stupid questions, that obviously the folks at the 2 churches need to answer.

I know exactly what you are saying.

ForeverAutumn
08-09-2013, 10:56 AM

I think it all depends on what your dog believes.

blackraven
08-09-2013, 11:34 AM
I am just asking stupid questions, that obviously the folks at the 2 churches need to answer.

I know exactly what you are saying.

Those signs on the churches were photo shopped. If you look at the red and white cars in the background on the left side in the pictures of the catholic church, you will see that the cars are the same and never change position.

Feanor
08-09-2013, 12:56 PM
I find it interesting and -- for me -- sad to speculate what heaven might be like. What is the "greater reward" that you hope for in heaven?

For me it would be to see again all the people I've known and cared for, my dear family and friends. Other rewards, (and that includes 72 virgins), seem trivial to me in comparison. A heaven that is just being absorbed in the transcendent God or, for that matter, where we strum a harp and sing Psalms with the angels doesn't make any sense to me.

So what will our loved ones be like when we see them? I like to think fit & whole in the prime of their adult lives, (say 35-40). What of their physical handicap? Gone I hope. What of their personality failings? Let's say mitigated, but still recognizable otherwise it wouldn't be them.

To be sure, among those I've loved are many animals and a heaven without them would be worth less.

But like I said, it's sad for me to think if these things because I doubt that there is a heaven, or if there is, I doubt I would be worthy to go there. Sola Fide as we (former) Protestants say, and I'm afraid I don't have enough of it.

Smokey
08-09-2013, 07:07 PM
For instance, if I were on a boat that was sinking in the middle of the ocean and my very elderly mother and my dog, both whom I love, were going down and I could save only one of them, who would it be?

You should be ashame of yourself even thinking that way :)

I mean your mother nourish, fed and shelter you, and you are thinking whether to save the dog or your mother?

That's an easy one. Roaches, ticks, mosquitos, and all creepy crawlies are evil and therefore destined for hell.

If anybody can survive the hell, it probably be Roaches :)

StevenSurprenant
08-10-2013, 02:24 AM

I mean your mother nourish, fed and shelter you, and you are thinking whether to save the dog or your mother?

That is part of the conundrum. Not only do you have to live with the guilt of letting one of them die, if you choose the dog to live, you have to live with the shame of knowing that many people will disapprove of your choice.

Feanor
08-10-2013, 04:35 AM
That is part of the conundrum {Mom or dog}. Not only do you have to live with the guilt of letting one of them die, if you choose the dog to live, you have to live with the shame of knowing that many people will disapprove of your choice.
I understand this predicament whereas some people apparently do not.

Thank goodness that I didn't have to make a choice, but the raw fact is that my grief was more, let's say, 'acute' rather than stronger, in the case of my dog than the case of my mother, (as I explained above). Even in my circumstance I was told I should be ashamed and in a degree I am, but the way I felt is the way I felt.

JohnMichael
08-10-2013, 04:41 AM

:)

No need for shame. Not all women are good mothers. Some mothers do not bond or nurture the child.

ForeverAutumn
08-10-2013, 11:54 AM
No need to feel shame or guilt. You can't control feelings. They are what they are.

Smokey
08-10-2013, 06:59 PM
If you choose the dog to live, you have to live with the shame of knowing that many people will disapprove of your choice.

I'm guessing your father will be one of them :)

Not all women are good mothers. Some mothers do not bond or nurture the child.

That is true. But still that does not justify choosing life of dog over human being.

dean_martin
08-14-2013, 08:36 AM
9452Roxie, our family dog of 11 years passed away Sunday, July 28 at 8:55 a.m. She was at home with us. She had a rough night Saturday night. My wife and I took turns holding her to keep her calm. I had taken her to the vet on the Thursday before and he said he couldn't do anything for her. He mentioned euthanasia. I went home and discussed it with the family. We decided if we couldn't get her to eat and take her arthritis medicine over the weekend, then on Monday we would take her back to the vet to be put to sleep. She wouldn't eat and didn't make it to Monday.

The timing of smokey's thread was odd. I wanted to post sooner, but couldn't. I can't remember ever being this sad. If I don't see her again one day, then what's a heaven for?

Feanor
08-14-2013, 08:52 AM
945294529452Our family dog of 11 years passed away Sunday, July 28 at 8:55 a.m. She was at home with us. She had a rough night Saturday night. My wife and I took turns holding her to keep her calm. I had taken her to the vet on the Thursday before and he said he couldn't do anything for her. He mentioned euthanasia. I went home and discussed it with the family. We decided if we couldn't get her to eat and take her arthritis medicine over the weekend, then on Monday we would take her back to the vet to be put to sleep. She wouldn't eat and didn't make it to Monday.

The timing of smokey's thread was odd. I wanted to post sooner, but couldn't. I can't remember ever being this sad. If I don't see her again one day, then what's a heaven for?
If we don't get to see the ones we've loved in heaven, including our pets, what the hell use is heaven?

Hyfi
08-14-2013, 09:17 AM
If we don't get to see the ones we've loved in heaven, including our pets, what the hell use is heaven?

It is for organized religions to keep you scared and under control. The overall spirituality and energy we all are is separate from a "Place" called Heaven. Heaven is a Man Made place.

JohnMichael
08-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Smokey I would save the one that has given me the most love.

Of course it is a moot point since my mother passed away before I had my dog.

Smokey
08-14-2013, 09:37 PM
Smokey I would save the one that has given me the most love.Of course it is a moot point since my mother passed away before I had my dog.

Well, let me ask you this question:

Lets replace your mother with a total stranger in the sinking boat. Would you choose life of a dog over life of a human being?

JohnMichael
08-15-2013, 01:42 AM
Smokey I think the point you are missing is we have been talking about dogs we have bonded with and are important to our lives. Those bonds can be as strong or stronger than we have with a lot of people. We all have to deal with the choices we make.

By the way if the boat was sinking we would all be up sh!t creek.

Smokey
08-15-2013, 09:06 PM
By the way if the boat was sinking we would all be up sh!t creek.Then choosing the dog might be wisest decision since some of the dogs are good swimmers :D

frenchmon
08-16-2013, 03:56 AM
It is for organized religions to keep you scared and under control. The overall spirituality and energy we all are is separate from a "Place" called Heaven. Heaven is a Man Made place.

Oh...so organized religion at one point had you scared and under control?

frenchmon
08-16-2013, 04:06 AM
Just my opinion....I believe animals will be in heaven....and it seems heaven will come down to earth.

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea did not exist any longer.
Rev 21:2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared like a bride adorned for her husband.
Rev 21:3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling of God is with humanity, and he will take up residence with them, and they will be his people and God himself will be with them.
Rev 21:4 And he will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death will not exist any longer, and mourning or wailing or pain will not exist any longer. The former things have passed away."
Rev 21:5 And the one seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new!" And he said, "Write, because these words are faithful and true."
Rev 21:6 And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the one who is thirsty I will give water from the spring of the water of life freely.
Rev 21:7 The one who conquers will inherit these things, and I will be [his God] and he will be [my son].
Rev 21:8 But as for the cowards and unbelievers and detestable persons and murderers and sexually immoral people and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their share is in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur, which is the second death.
Rev 21:9 And one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and spoke with me, saying, "Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb."
Rev 21:10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and lofty mountain, and showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God,
Rev 21:11 that has the glory of God. Its radiance is like a precious stone, something like a jasper stone, shining like crystal.
Rev 21:12 It has a great and high wall that has twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written on the gates which are of the twelve tribes of the sons of Israel--
Rev 21:13 on the east, three gates, and on the north, three gates, and on the south, three gates, and on the west, three gates.
Rev 21:14 And the wall of the city has twelve foundations, and on them are twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
Rev 21:15 And the one who spoke with me was holding a golden measuring rod in order that he could measure the city and its gates and its wall.
Rev 21:16 And the city is laid out as a square, and its length is the same as its width. And he measured the city with the measuring rod at twelve thousand stadia; the length and the width and the height of it are equal.
Rev 21:17 And he measured its wall, one hundred forty-four cubits [according to human measure], which is the angel's.
Rev 21:18 And the material of its wall is jasper, and the city is pure gold, similar in appearance to pure glass.
Rev 21:19 The foundations of the wall of the city are adorned with every kind of precious stone: the first foundation jasper, the second sapphire, the third chalcedony, the fourth emerald,
Rev 21:20 the fifth sardonyx, the sixth carnelian, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh jacinth, the twelfth amethyst.
Rev 21:21 And the twelve gates are twelve pearls, each one of the gates was from a single pearl. And the street of the city is pure gold, like transparent glass.
Rev 21:22 And I did not see a temple in it, for the Lord God All-Powerful is its temple, and the Lamb.
Rev 21:23 And the city has no need of the sun or of the moon, that they shine on it, for the glory of God illuminates it, and its lamp is the Lamb.
Rev 21:24 And the nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it.
Rev 21:25 And its gates will never be shut by day (for there will be no night there),
Rev 21:26 and they will bring the glory and the honor of the nations into it.
Rev 21:27 And every unclean thing and one who practices detestable things and falsehood will never enter into it, except those who are written in the book of life of the Lamb.

Hyfi
08-16-2013, 04:35 AM
Oh...so organized religion at one point had you scared and under control?

Up until I was about 8. I then realized what was going on around me. About the same time I stopped believing in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny

JohnMichael
08-16-2013, 05:20 AM
What started out as a thread about "Do Dogs go to heaven?" which could have been a fun thread is getting close to the edge. I made reference to rewards in heaven and one I would like was my dog. Someone brought out their bible to correct me. Then the pointing of fingers over morals and ethics over who you would save first which has nothing to do with dogs going to heaven. Now we have another biblical post followed by a veiled insult.

I am curious as why when one shares a feeling it is up for attack. None of us knows the right answer but we seem to think we do. We all have to choose our own path and do not have the right to tell someone theirs is wrong. Thread closed.