question for mrtrycraft and others [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : question for mrtrycraft and others

nusiclover
04-21-2004, 03:55 PM
ok, im thinking of trying out the home depot wires first. they have 12ga and they are covered with a plastic material. i am wondering if the limited covering of them will not offer much shielding and therefore interfere with the amp??? also, are these the ones you recommend? BTW, which speaker cables do you use?
remember, i am connecting $1500 speakers with a $1500 amp. do you still recommened giving it a try?

Rockwell
04-21-2004, 05:27 PM
ok, im thinking of trying out the home depot wires first. they have 12ga and they are covered with a plastic material. i am wondering if the limited covering of them will not offer much shielding and therefore interfere with the amp??? also, are these the ones you recommend? BTW, which speaker cables do you use?
remember, i am connecting $1500 speakers with a $1500 amp. do you still recommened giving it a try?

I have mostly freebies, and some free Monster I got with my receiver and some Monster ICs I bought.

As far as trying them out, I wouldn't bother. Just connect and forget. If you really want to compare cables properly, it is a bit of work and requires a friend to do a double blind test.

There is no demonstrated correlation between the cost of the cable and the performance.

cam
04-21-2004, 06:18 PM
I have used 12G Home Depot wire before, very cheap, I think it was .30/ft. It sounded good, the only problem with that wire is it is very stiff. Very hard to put bannana plugs on but it is do-able. You can roll that stuff into a circle and it will stay that way. I had completely no interference with any other piece of equipment or other cables. That was the pain, organizing these very stiff wires away from other wires and still having them tidy aswell.

mtrycraft
04-21-2004, 10:18 PM
I have used 12G Home Depot wire before, very cheap, I think it was .30/ft. It sounded good, the only problem with that wire is it is very stiff. Very hard to put bannana plugs on but it is do-able. You can roll that stuff into a circle and it will stay that way. I had completely no interference with any other piece of equipment or other cables. That was the pain, organizing these very stiff wires away from other wires and still having them tidy aswell.

Landscape wire is more flexible :)

mtrycraft
04-21-2004, 10:26 PM

The price of the speaker or amp is no indication how much you need to spend on speaker cable. That is totally independent issue. You are matching elecrtical characteristics, not prices. :) Only the people with an interest in making money off of cables will tell you of rule of thumb pricing but it is bogus, not based in anything but greed, voodoo, myth, hype, bs.

The covering on the speaker cables is sufficient. If those are too stiff for you, they have low voltage landscape wires, 12ga or 14 ga is fine. If I have a system at all which is not relevand, here nor there, I would certainly use something like that, especially the cheaper landscape wires which are just fine as well. By the way, those have black cover.

nusiclover
04-21-2004, 10:30 PM
yeah, i looked at the black yard wire. i guess its supposed to be sun proof. or something. i actually thought the 12ga speaker wire that home depot carries (its called Carol) is very flexible. it costs 54c/foot. could be a new one? i thought that perhaps the landscape wire was maybe bettert since i read somewhere that the plastic cover on the Carol Superflex could be bad for interference. BTW, the flexibility on the Carol Superflex was a tad bit better than the landscape. Perhaps the Carol is a new wire for office depot. Anyways, tonight i am doung a test with my girl and we are DEFINITELY hearing differences between Monster THX analog interconnects and Tara Labs Prism-i. Monster has a more clear toanlity and provides more bass. The tara labs are for SURE more laid back. We are still deciding which we like better. Monster is $50 tara labs is $100.

nusiclover
04-21-2004, 10:34 PM
what do you think of RCA deluxe banana plugs? they cost $5.pair. anyone think these are any good. since i have a mid-fi system, should i stick with name brand wires and cables? any suggestions? doing tests is very time consuming.

mtrycraft
04-21-2004, 10:41 PM
yeah, i looked at the black yard wire. i guess its supposed to be sun proof. or something. i actually thought the 12ga speaker wire that home depot carries (its called Carol) is very flexible. it costs 54c/foot. could be a new one? i thought that perhaps the landscape wire was maybe bettert since i read somewhere that the plastic cover on the Carol Superflex could be bad for interference. BTW, the flexibility on the Carol Superflex was a tad bit better than the landscape. Perhaps the Carol is a new wire for office depot. Anyways, tonight i am doung a test with my girl and we are DEFINITELY hearing differences between Monster THX analog interconnects and Tara Labs Prism-i. Monster has a more clear toanlity and provides more bass. The tara labs are for SURE more laid back. We are still deciding which we like better. Monster is $50 tara labs is $100.

Well, you are perceiving something for sure. Audible differences has not been established to date. Bias?

mtrycraft
04-21-2004, 10:42 PM
what do you think of RCA deluxe banana plugs? they cost $5.pair. anyone think these are any good. since i have a mid-fi system, should i stick with name brand wires and cables? any suggestions? doing tests is very time consuming.

If you need them, they are fine. Plugs, spades or just bare is a matter of need and choice. Brand name is not important, unless it falls apart in your hand. If you constantly play with the wire, get a good connector that will take the abuse. I play with other things, not wires. :)

Willow
04-25-2004, 03:19 AM
I use HD 12awg cable, i found it tad hard to manage untill I bought recoton banana plugs 10$ for 2 (compression type) and now I have no probs. they did put some strain on the binding posts w/ out the plugs. As far as other cables go you don't need to spend 100$'s of $$ I didn't want the cheap ones they supply so I bought all AR interconnects....works great.