I almost blew up [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I almost blew up

JohnMichael
07-25-2013, 05:32 PM
When I was young I wanted to go to space. I wanted to live on a space station. Today I learned I had the chance to be propelled into space on my own toilet.

My stomach was very painful and I had very little energy. I woke up each morning with a headache which was not normal since I do not have hangovers. My dog was vomiting at times he normally would not. He seemed like he was aging and less interest in play. We would go for walks and he would fight going inside. Neither of us were at our best.

I had been smelling gas off and on but not consistently to raise any flags. Monday the smell was very strong and a young woman was quite concerned. She called the office but received no response. I was on my way down the stairs to walk my dog and I suggested she call the gas supplier to come test. He found three leaks quickly and shut off the gas.

Today I came home from errands and grocery shopping and there were three plumbing trucks from a respected company. I walked in and one of the plumbers asked me which apartment was mine. I told him and he shook my hands while congratulating me. He then told me he was glad I was alive. He went on to tell me every apartment had gas leaks but when they checked my gas pipe it fell to the floor.

Between the explosion and health risks I was very happy to be alive. The plumbers seem to have everything fixed and I have hot water again. Looking forward to a hot shower.

One thing I wanted to suggest is a 3 way detector. I bought one today and it alerts if there is explosive gas present, carbon monoxide and smoke. I had no warning from the other detectors about the natural gas present but this one will do it. It was about $60 but you are all worth that unless of course in an all electric home. Be safe and do not blow up.

ForeverAutumn
07-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Wow John. That's a crazy story! I'm so happy that nobody in your building was hurt.

I didn't know that there were detectors for natural gas. We have several smoke detectors in our house (one on each floor plus one hard-wired to our alarm company) and two carbon monoxide detectors. I'll have to look into one for natural gas. Thanks for sharing that information.

Smokey
07-25-2013, 06:26 PM
I told you to count your blessings :)

bobsticks
07-25-2013, 07:12 PM
How often does the opening paragraph of a post include the word "toilet" and the phrase "blew up" and not become completely inappropriate? :-D

John, I'm glad you're okay and found some solutions for the future.

dean_martin
07-25-2013, 07:37 PM
OMG!!! (First time I ever, ever typed omg.) Glad you're still with us.

Feanor
07-26-2013, 04:17 AM
I'm glad you and Corky are still in one piece.

Detectors are excellent advice. We have smoke, (i.e. ionization), and carbon monoxide detectors but I think I need to look at natural gas detectors as well.

StevenSurprenant
07-26-2013, 12:36 PM
John,

Just think...

You might have been hurt in the line of doody.

Making a stink about getting detectors may save a life.
--------------------------------
Anyone else want to add to this?

JohnMichael
07-26-2013, 12:48 PM
John,
Just think...
You might have been hurt in the line of doody.
Making a stink about getting detectors may save a life.
--------------------------------
Anyone else want to add to this?

The apartments do have smoke detectors and hard wired smoke and carbon monoxide detectors but what I wanted was a three way. I wanted a detector that would alarm if any of the three might be preaent natural gas, carbon monoxide and smoke. I was unaware of explosive gas detectors until a friend shared with me such a thing existed.

StevenSurprenant
07-26-2013, 01:13 PM
I didn't even think about gas detectors. Your post could be just in time for some folks. Good job!

BTW, I'm really glad that nothing happened to you.

JohnMichael
07-26-2013, 03:48 PM
I didn't even think about gas detectors. Your post could be just in time for some folks. Good job!

Here is a link to my new detector

First Alert - Products - GCO1CN (http://www.firstalert.com/detectors/plug-in/explosive-gas-co/gco1cn)

ForeverAutumn
07-26-2013, 05:14 PM
what I wanted was a three way.

Um. Where's GMichael when we need him. ;)

StevenSurprenant
07-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Here is a link to my new detector

First Alert - Products - GCO1CN (http://www.firstalert.com/detectors/plug-in/explosive-gas-co/gco1cn)

I really like that it plugs into an outlet. One by the stove and one in the laundry room near the furnace and water heated should provide all the protection I would need.

Thanks

JohnMichael
07-27-2013, 02:21 AM
I really like that it plugs into an outlet. One by the stove and one in the laundry room near the furnace and water heated should provide all the protection I would need.

Thanks

I hope you never have to hear them alarm.

frenchmon
07-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Well some one up there is watching out for you and the others in your building. glad you are ok buddy.

JohnMichael
07-27-2013, 09:39 AM
Corky sure feels better. He is running in the fields again. He is eating better and playing more. No more vomiting which I appreciate. He comes back in the building without a fight.

I have to admit to a guilt attack when I thought about all the time he spent in the apartment. I walk him about three hours or more a day. All the rest of the time he had been in the gas chamber. I was at work for 8 or 9 hours so I got a break plus the hours out walking. All I could think of at the time is I thought I adopted him and brought him someplace safe. Oh if anything would have happened.

Feanor
07-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Corky sure feels better. He is running in the fields again. He is eating better and playing more. No more vomiting which I appreciate. He comes back in the building without a fight.

I have to admit to a guilt attack when I thought about all the time he spent in the apartment. I walk him about three hours or more a day. All the rest of the time he had been in the gas chamber. I was at work for 8 or 9 hours so I got a break plus the hours out walking. All I could think of at the time is I thought I adopted him and brought him someplace safe. Oh if anything would have happened.
I'll confess I have quite a soft spot for pets. I hate to seem them sick. You know they really don't understand what's wrong and you wish you could explain it -- and in some case apologize.

Our current dog has had an number of episodes of illness beginning with kennel cough right after we got her as a puppy. So far she has recovered from everything, in several case thanks to medications from the veterinarian.

Our previous dog died of cancer at 10.5 years, (actually we euphanized him when we realized the cancer was wide-spread and untreatable). I'd don't think he suffered much pain, fortunately.

On the other hand my daughter had a rabbit that also died of cancer we're pretty sure. Unfortunately we didn't realized what his problem was until he died (on his own). In retrospect I suspect he suffered a lot, and I feel guilty we didn't have him euphanized before he got so bad.

ForeverAutumn
07-29-2013, 11:31 AM
Yeah, it's tough when pets get sick. One of our cats has had several dental surgeries. In his second surgery the vet gave him an anesthetic that, when he came out of it, caused him to hallucinate and get really hyper (he's normally an overweight, lazy cat). He didn't sleep for at least 36 hours! I'm sure the poor cat was confused about the halucinations, lack of sleep, and why his mouth hurt so much. It's terrible when you just can't explain to them what's happening.

John, there is no doubt that Corky is in a safe place. You would never put him in any danger and he trusts you and knows that. He wasn't the only one getting sick from the gas, so were you. If you could have prevented it, you would have. There is no reason to feel quilty.

JohnMichael
08-03-2013, 06:30 AM
The more days and nights since the gas leaks have been repaired the better I feel. My mind and thoughts are clearer. I have more energy. I had not felt this good in a long while. The world is bright again.