Don't ya just hate it when ...... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Don't ya just hate it when ......

Davey.
11-26-2003, 11:41 AM
You pull a CD out of your player and can't tell what it is because it doesn't say on the disc label? And you have to stick it back in and play some of it to figure out who it is?

Or even worse, when you play some of it and still can't figure out who it is?

Or when you get a new CD and it comes in a nice digipak so you unfold the cover and you can't get the friggin CD to release and you have to bend the s<a>hit out of it, knowing all the while you're triggering a spiderweb of microcracks that will someday render the disc unplayable?

Or you buy a CD when it first comes out cause you gotta have it and find it comes in a cheapass folded piece of flimsy paper made to resemble a minituarized but much less useful gatefold LP of yore, one that will surely fall apart unless the disc gets too scratched up to play first, and then a short while later you see it at the store being sold in a proper plastic jewel box?

Or you buy a brand new CD and then get it home and discover the jewel case is busted and falls apart when you get all the friggin plastic seals off?

Or you order a CD online and when it comes all the fingers are busted that hold the CD in place so when you open the case it jumps out and instead of falling harmessly to the floor, takes a gravity defying leap toward the only object in the room that could do it harm and gouges a deep, laser light scattering crevice across the playing surface?

Or you buy a new CD and get it home and play it and it starts skipping so you take it out and look at it more carefully and find that some yahoo left a jelly donut fingerprint on it while putting it in the case so you have to clean it before even giving it a listen?

But don't ya just love it when you find a CD that you can play all day, every day, for about a week or two and never get tired of it and can't think of anything you'd rather hear more?

Happy Belated Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends and Happy Thanksgiving to all my Estados Unidos buddies and....well....Happy Thursday to all the rest of you goofballs!

Finch Platte
11-26-2003, 12:00 PM
Nothing to add.

BT3
11-26-2003, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I hate when that happens, too.

And how 'bout the small printing. These ole eyes can't hardly tell if their talking 1980 or 1989. Shoot, sometimes I can't tell between 1999 and 2000.

And how 'bout them lame asses at the used store that can't put the spine printing all in one direction. You know, you're looking through the bins and got to read half of them upside down.

And how 'bout them lame hinges? Ever broke one of those? I'll bet you haven't.

And why can't they ever produce the dual holders the same way twice? Just as soon as ya got it down pat, they go and change it. Another disk on the floor.

And whats up with all the upc codes. Back in the day, we got to see the entire Roxy Music cover. Now the damn upc code covers up all the good stuff. And if it don't cover up the good stuff, sure as rock salt, the moron with the price gun's gonna stick one there.

And not to leave out the analog guys; they sure don't seem to drill the little hole like they used too. That orbital motion might be good for the spirit of the old lady, but I like my vinyl to spin radially. Radially, I say. Within thousands of an inch, dammit. Get a drill doctor, willya.

But I, like you, am not going to complain too much. Going home to a holiday weekend, and got some remastered Neil/OTB to listen to on the way home.

Wishing y'all a swell holiday.

BT

Stone
11-26-2003, 01:24 PM
Very good post. I have previously considered all of these things, and answer yes to them all (except I don't recall ever opening a new CD and finding a jelly donut fingerprint on it).

However, tops on my vent list would be Digipaks. The more prevalent they become, the more I absolutely fuggin' despise Digipaks.

Snowbunny
11-26-2003, 01:32 PM
(except I don't recall ever opening a new CD and finding a jelly donut fingerprint on it).

Hehehe... yeah I found that jelly donut fingerprint a little suspect myself, Stone. Wasn't it Davey who was giving advice on how to wash beer off CDs, too?

Is a digi-pack the packaging that Lucinda Williams - Essense CD came in? I never know what to do with the paper sleeve that fits over the jewel cases, either. I hate to throw anything away. Archivitis, I guess. ;)

Snowie

dld
11-26-2003, 01:38 PM
plus a happy Turkey day right back at ya. Dallas plays Suns tonight. S/B good game.

Snowbunny
11-26-2003, 01:43 PM
Or you order a CD online and when it comes all the fingers are busted that hold the CD in place so when you open the case it jumps out and instead of falling harmessly to the floor, takes a gravity defying leap toward the only object in the room that could do it harm and gouges a deep, laser light scattering crevice across the playing surface?

Happy Belated Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends and Happy Thanksgiving to all my Estados Unidos buddies and....well....Happy Thursday to all the rest of you goofballs!

Very funny post, Honeybear! The quote above made mik come out of my nose. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to all you United Staters! In your honour I'll be taking an entire week off work!

Snowie

Stone
11-26-2003, 02:02 PM
Is a digi-pack the packaging that Lucinda Williams - Essense CD came in?

Yes. Here's what they look like:

http://www.digipak.com/images/HansonHighRes.jpg

Getting the CD out of them is a nightmare, they get beat all to sh*t so they look terrible, and if you break the pegs that hold the CD you're screwed. I don't take any Digipaks out of the house - I'll make a CD-R of the album before I let the Digpak get all tattered (and shattered).

I never know what to do with the paper sleeve that fits over the jewel cases, either. I hate to throw anything away. Archivitis, I guess. ;)

I keep them too - well, most of them. I throw them in a paper bag. I considered making small frames for some of them at some point and hanging them on a wall in my listening room ... uh, when I actually buy a house and have a dedicated listening room, that is.

Troy
11-26-2003, 03:35 PM
YES! To everything Davey said.

Paper sleeves around a jewelcase. Now THERE'S a grand idea. That way you get all the annoying features of both the digipack AND jewel case rolled into one. Altho, if you leave the sleeve on your shelf, you always have a spot to put the disc back.

jack70
11-26-2003, 03:36 PM
Mine are more "expensive"...

1- You attempt to grasp the CD, but it's so tightly stuck on the centerpiece it goes flying off across the room... with a nice new big scratch on it, making it unplayable.

2- How about finally pulling out a rare CD you got months ago (after searching for it for years) only to put it in the CD-player and find the disc inside is of ANOTHER ARTIST? (right cover/wrong disc) Then you re-order it only to find it's NOW OOP!!!!

3- You finally find a rare favorite LP issued on CD, then play it to find it's a stinkin' cheap pirate copy... full of scratches & pops! Worse yet, it's of poorer quality than YOUR OWN LP copy.

Snowbunny
11-26-2003, 04:00 PM
Nothing to add.

Nice avatar, Finch! Finally, we get to see a picture of the GF,eh!

Snowbunny
11-26-2003, 04:06 PM
Yes. Here's what they look like:

http://www.digipak.com/images/HansonHighRes.jpg

I keep them too - well, most of them. I throw them in a paper bag. I considered making small frames for some of them at some point and hanging them on a wall in my listening room ... uh, when I actually buy a house and have a dedicated listening room, that is.

Great idea, Stone. I think I might just do that myself.

HEY, wait a minute there! Is that a Hanson CD!

Davey.
11-26-2003, 04:54 PM
Hehehe... yeah I found that jelly donut fingerprint a little suspect myself, Stone. Wasn't it Davey who was giving advice on how to wash beer off CDs, too?

Yeah, like I'm the only one who ever plops down in the sweet spot with a 6-pack of beer and a box of jelly donuts. I mean, why'd ya thunk they call it the sweet spot? Sugarbear, sweetiepie?

I did buy a CD from my Sunnyvale indie hangout that had a fingerprint which required washing to play. Who's to say it wasn't a jelly donut fingerprint? I can almost envision the band and their label rep sitting around the kitchen table loading up the jewel cases with liner notes and CDs, beer in one hand and jelly donut in the other, with cigarette butts and french fries scattered all about. I even remember which CD it was!

Everything I say here is true!

Dusty Chalk
11-26-2003, 06:29 PM
You pull a CD out of your player and can't tell what it is because it doesn't say on the disc label? And you have to stick it back in and play some of it to figure out who it is?yes.
Or even worse, when you play some of it and still can't figure out who it is?Haha, yes. So you stick it in the computer hoping that it will be in CDDB, and it's not...so you have to look through all your CD's and see which case is empty, and you discover two, and neither one match, and...
Or when you get a new CD and it comes in a nice digipak so you unfold the cover and you can't get the friggin CD to release and you have to bend the s<a>hit out of it, knowing all the while you're triggering a spiderweb of microcracks that will someday render the disc unplayable? Um...did you ever think of bending the try instead of the CD? I find that if you bend the tray in the opposite direction, you only have to bend the CD half as much, therefore generating exactly 33% fewer microcracks.

For those of you who don't know, a microcrack is what Kylie Minogue has between her buttcheeks.
Or you buy a CD when it first comes out cause you gotta have it and find it comes in a cheapass folded piece of flimsy paper made to resemble a minituarized but much less useful gatefold LP of yore, one that will surely fall apart unless the disc gets too scratched up to play first, and then a short while later you see it at the store being sold in a proper plastic jewel box?Can I just say, "Yes"?
Or you buy a brand new CD and then get it home and discover the jewel case is busted and falls apart when you get all the friggin plastic seals off?Alright, I have to draw the line on that. I usually check them, first.

In terms of the spindle fingers thing, I used to get that, too, even when I bought them at the store, but now I shake them first. If they rattle, I put them back and get another one. If there is another one.

Thanks. Your rant was nice right up until the part later in the thread about donuts and beer. First of all, I don't like jelly donuts, I prefer the holey variety. Second of all, they don't mix with beer.

Now you're making me feel ralfy again.

Have a nice turkey, y'all.

Snowbunny
11-26-2003, 06:38 PM
Hey Ralf? How come one of times you typed CD in your post it was underlined and in green font? That happened to me when I typed batteries in another post? Hmmm.... batteries, eh? :)

Snowie

HEY! Who's doing that? Batteries, battery, batteries....

Finch Platte
11-26-2003, 06:47 PM
Hey Ralf? How come one of times you typed CD in your post it was underlined and in green font? That happened to me when I typed batteries in another post? Hmmm.... batteries, eh? :)

Snowie

....what happens when I type in vibrators, eh?

Vibrators, vibrators, vibrators!

Oh, Green Link Gnome! Where ARE you????

Chevrolet.

fp

jamison
11-26-2003, 08:24 PM
dont you hate it when you buy a new cd or sacd that you spent megabucks on and you stick it in your cd player and it gets jammed so bad that it will no longer play due to the scratches on it.
I had this happen with a prized cd of mine just bought it from the store only to have it jam and get scratched bad. i had to take the cover off my cd player to get the damn thing out.

needless to say i went out and bought another cd player and replaced the cd out a lot of bucks that day

Snowbunny
11-26-2003, 09:20 PM
....what happens when I type in vibrators, eh?

Vibrators, vibrators, vibrators!

Oh, Green Link Gnome! Where ARE you????

Chevrolet.

fp

Hahahaha - nice one, Finchie! Now who woulda thought there'd be a link to batteries!

Snowbunny
11-26-2003, 09:26 PM
a prized cd of mine

Spill it, jamison! What was the prized cd that got jammed?

Snowie

Dusty Chalk
11-26-2003, 09:30 PM
Hey, Dusty? How come one of times you typed CD in your post it was underlined and in green font?I have no idea. I have no idea what you are talking about, and I have no idea who's the gnome. I only just figured out that MineGoneHeyfever is Jay, and I still don't know who Booji Boy is. I thought it was Stone, but Stone is...well, Stone.
Spill it, jamison! What was the prized cd that got jammed?I'm guessing: Return to Forever, Romantic Warrior, which is only available on SACD as import from Japan.

Happy Thanksgiving to all you United Staters! In your honour I'll be taking an entire week off work! Sorry, I was going to send you batteries, but last time, the post office made me remove them from the package.

EDIT: Here (http://forums.audioreview.com/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post#faq_new_faq_item) is the answer to your green link question.

Whooptee
11-26-2003, 10:03 PM
I do indeed hate all of those things, except the last one of course. I think my least favorite packaged cd is one of my favorites musically,
Sparklehorse's "Wonderful Life". The cd is in a little sleeve that fits inside another little sleeve. All of the Rolling Stone re-issues that I have (Exile on Main Street, Sticky Fingers, Let it Bleed, etc...) are the same way. Plus, they come in these LP replica packages that are not quite the same dimensions as other cd packaging so they don't quite fit in my cd rack. I guess on the plus side they're easy to find 'cause they stick out.

John

jamison
11-27-2003, 09:32 AM
the cd was a limited edition boxed set of the beatles sgt peppers album released either in the late 80s or the early 90s just when boxed sets were getting popular.

by the way i would love to see sgt peppers reissued in multichannel sacd

Davey.
11-27-2003, 09:45 AM
I think my least favorite packaged cd is one of my favorites musically, Sparklehorse's "Wonderful Life". The cd is in a little sleeve that fits inside another little sleeve.
Hehehe, that's exactly what I'm talking about, except that's a reverse whammy! I bought the UK release of It's A Wonderful Life because it was released a couple months earlier than in the US. Well, actually Snowbunny got it for me in Canada, but same thing. Great album, as you say. But mine came in a standard jewel case with a nice lyrics booklet and all. I remember seeing a US special edition but can't remember what it was. Was it just the same thing in a cheapass paper case? The absolute worst I've bought is the last Cat Power album and it's the one I later saw in the store in a jewel case, which was the inspiration for that particular rant. Mine is literally falling apart and it's only a few months old :(

tentoze
11-27-2003, 10:48 AM
Hehehe, that's exactly what I'm talking about, except that's a reverse whammy! I bought the UK release of It's A Wonderful Life because it was released a couple months earlier than in the US. Well, actually Snowbunny got it for me in Canada, but same thing. Great album, as you say. But mine came in a standard jewel case with a nice lyrics booklet and all. I remember seeing a US special edition but can't remember what it was. Was it just the same thing in a cheapass paper case? The absolute worst I've bought is the last Cat Power album and it's the one I later saw in the store in a jewel case, which was the inspiration for that particular rant. Mine is literally falling apart and it's only a few months old :(

My version of that Sparklehorse is the "limited edition', and I think the only thing "limited" about it is the ability to get the frigging cd out of the too-small inner cardboard sleeve without using a bloody pair of vise-grips. Hateful-ass packaging.

Recently, I've seen a new-to-me variation of the aggravation on several new cd's I 've bought: instead of the the cheesy, spider-spines to hold the cd in place, there's a flat-topped hump of plastic molded into the disc-holding surface- those things put a DEATH-GRIP on the cd that makes you end up folding the disk into a taco before it ever releases its strangle-hold. Horrible.

The friendliest method I've noticed lately was on the Moses guest cd I picked up last week, even though it's a cardboard enclosure. It's a quad fold which has the two cd's on the inner middle 2 panels, held in place by patches of foam. Probably won't be durable in the long-run, but at least I don't have to bend my fingernails backward to get to the music.