Headline says "Falling TV's send a child to the hospital every thirty minutes" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Headline says "Falling TV's send a child to the hospital every thirty minutes"

markw
07-22-2013, 07:43 AM
That kid should really sit farther away from the TV.

"The number of kids injured by a TV falling on them grew 125 percent between 1990 and 2011, according to a new study of emergency room records that calls for greater prevention efforts. Overall, more than 17,000 children under age 18 were treated each year for various TV-related injuries in ERs across the United States – that’s one child every half hour – during that time period, the study released Monday in the journal Pediatrics found."

Linky here (http://www.today.com/health/falling-tvs-send-child-er-every-30-minutes-6C10679996)

Hyfi
07-22-2013, 07:52 AM
This is not a problem with TVs, again it is a problem with Parents. As you saw, the newer flat panels which are way easier to topple is the main cause in the rise of these incidents.

BUT, every flat panel TV I own came with a strap and a mounting hole to screw the base down. So why did this report not show the percentages of people who actually use that safety feature vs those who CHOSE to leave their kids at risk of injury? They do mention it's there and suggest it's use, but most people are too lazy or stupid to protect the kids they bring into this world.

I guess Big Brother needs to regulate TV mounting now since the public at large can't seem to handle it.

markw
07-22-2013, 08:07 AM
BUT, every flat panel TV I own came with a strap and a mounting hole to screw the base down. So why did this report not show the percentages of people who actually use that safety feature vs those who CHOSE to leave their kids at risk of injury? They do mention it's there and suggest it's use, but most people are too lazy or stupid to protect the kids they bring into this world.Because making kids is easy and fun. Everybody can do that. Taking responsibilty for them is work and many people don't want to bother with that. They would rather abdicate their resposibity for that on others.

It's always easier to blame others for problems due to their own stupidity or laziness rather than accept personal responsibility. Besides, this makes more sensational headlines.

Now watch: Lawyers will be looking to sue TVmakers and leislators will be chomping at the bit to pass legislation to have stricter regulations on TV's so they look like they are doing something useful. Yeah, some people will actually buy it.

TheHills44060
07-22-2013, 09:13 AM
This is not a problem with TVs, again it is a problem with Parents...
For sure. Way too many parents sitting their kids in front of the tv and letting an inanimate object parent them. Kids should be getting hurt crashing their bikes, playing tackle football, climbing trees, fighting in the schoolyard...not from home electronics tumbling upon them. Also there's no discipline. I knew at a young age that if i touched the tv or anything near it i was in serious ****.

Hyfi
07-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Too many parents use the TV and Video Games as a Babysitter. Developmental Doctors claim that children should net even be exposed before age 3, but where is almost every baby? Plopped in front of cartoons. This has been shown to create all kinds of learning disabilities and more issues later in life.

I remember as a kid that we were not allowed to sit close to the TV ever. And like Hills said, you knew you were not supposed to touch it along with many other things in the house.

Anyway, the scew and strap that comes with every flat screen is not just in the box for fun. I put together a setup for a house full of very messed up kids where my wife used to work. A TV on an Arm, and a shelf that held the VCR and DVD Player. All units were strapped in place. I made the shelf myself and used a strap from one of my TVs.